trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/16/14 8:17 a.m.

Well I finally found a truck with in my budget, overall the truck is in good shape, only 89,xxx on the clock and it seems to drive well, it might need a alignment. It does have rust in the front and rear fenders.

Things that I want to do:

• K&N Filter

• Undercoat it (Never done this before any advice? the winters here are abusive)

• Check the brakes, they grab ok, but there is some travel with the brakes not sure if it needs bleed or new brake pads, any advice?

This is my second Dodge vehicle, what should I look out for?

The former owner advised that he replaced the ball joints, is there anything else suspension wise that I should look for?

photo 1402924070_zps3c139692.jpg

06HHR
06HHR Reader
6/16/14 8:23 a.m.

Good looking truck! This may be my subscribing to the "myth" of late model dodge truck transmission failures (I really miss those A727's), but i'd get the transmission serviced if it hasn't been done already. Filter and fluid change.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/16/14 8:34 a.m.
06HHR wrote: Good looking truck! This may be my subscribing to the "myth" of late model dodge truck transmission failures (I really miss those A727's), but i'd get the transmission serviced if it hasn't been done already. Filter and fluid change.

Any idea on what the cost of that might be? I will more then likely have someone else do it.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/16/14 8:37 a.m.

I'd do whatever the 100k service and go over it really well. I had a 93 with a stick and v6, thats the base of my knowledge. That body style is my 2nd favorite (after the original of course).

06HHR
06HHR Reader
6/16/14 10:02 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469: It's not very expensive or complex, any competent transmission shop or decent quick lube place should be able to handle it. It's not that hard to DIY, it just can get messy dealing with a lot of ATF. Just drop the pan, (drain the fluid if your pan has a drain plug) replace the filter, clean the pan add new gasket and reinstall. Top off the transmission with fresh fluid, it's a pretty simple procedure actually, a lot like changing engine oil.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
6/16/14 10:12 a.m.

Go over the front end/steering gear with a fine tooth comb. My buddies went through front end control arm bushings like nothing I'd ever seen. Also tie rods are made out of dollar store spaghetti.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
6/16/14 6:21 p.m.

Nice Dakota. I have an '03 Durango, so we basically have the same vehicle.

Trans fluid change is easy.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/23/14 8:05 a.m.

So my only Key Fob jumped off my kayak and is lost....Can I replace it with out going to the dealership?

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
6/23/14 8:22 a.m.

Before you get it undercoated, clean the bottom of the truck, let it dry and then drive straight to the place that will undercoat it. You don't want to trap stuff under the undercoating.

The products that I have heard the most about are Corrosion Free (We did our 2012 Explorer with this - warranty as long as you re-do every 18 months), Krown, Rust Check and Ziebart (never hear of them up here anymore but they are still around).

A lot of people seem to like Krown but I went with Corrosion Free due to hearing a number of positive comments on it too.

If it is already rusting then all you can do is slow it down.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
6/23/14 8:23 a.m.
trigun7469 wrote: So my only Key Fob jumped off my kayak and is lost....Can I replace it with out going to the dealership?

I bought replacements for my Explorer off e-bay. Then google the programing requirements.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/24/14 6:45 p.m.

Ok I will check that.

So I noticed it didn't have a air filter, anyways what do you think KN drop in or a cheap one?

I noticed there was a tether of some sort is just behind the air filter on the fire wall is ripped, any idea what that be?

Still trying to track the evap problem, nothing really noticeable.

beans
beans Dork
6/24/14 11:08 p.m.

Throw a trans go shift kit in it, GOOD fluid, and a sonnax line pressure booster. Takes an afternoon to do and REALLY helps the shifts in the 45RFE. If it hasn't been done already, take it to the dealer and get the transmission reflashed to basically add a 5th gear and turn it into a 545RFE. Might be about $200 total for the shift kit, filters, fluid, LPB, and reflash. Simple DIY, I did mine in a parking garage with pretty basic tools.

I never noticed a difference with just a K&N on my 4.7 Grand, but a 3-4" intake tube and big filter should help a lot. I ran a 3" ebay unit on mine and it was great. You're lucky, too, I believe the 08+ Dakota 4.7 intake should bolt right onto it, and frees up a TON of power. Don't go to www.airram.com for bad ideas. A tune REALLY wakes the 4.7 up, as well as a set of headers, full exhaust, and the H.O. cams.

For the evap problem, check to make sure all the EGR ports and lines are unclogged, as well as the PCV system. Mine would throw a code for it every so often, and when I cleaned out all the lines and replaced a couple check valves, all was golden. The PCV and EGR system are pretty sensitive on these. A clogged cat on mine did some REALLY weird things to my Grand. Cut it out, and it ripped.

I <3 the 4.7

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/27/14 10:10 a.m.

I went with a Fram TG filter it was only $11, and certainty better then not having one. I added some fuel cleaner and a new pair of wipers.

The previous owner added a bigger rear exhaust system, sounds good it is not obnoxious.

The EGR code is off, but I did notice that it has been idling sporadically, not sure if that is related. I haven't driven it that much, so I will see this weekend.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
7/22/14 9:21 a.m.

I got a quote for trans fluid flush with new filter, brake fluid flush with bleeding of brakes, new spark plugs and all labor and the estimate is $557.95 plus taxes is that a fair price?

beans
beans Dork
7/23/14 11:36 a.m.

Do you have 5 hours to spare? If you do, its not worth paying someone to do all that easy work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
masKdO9tBLJpV3aI4ZUGyIWn5CEPz0Sktbvh2zvhwETUIb98A3ezTcCzLyJ6GXw9