4 5 6 7 8
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/8/18 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

5 real cigarettes today. Normally im a pack and a half guy. So far so good!

Cel is odd. I can clear it, drive for a hundred miles and it wont come back on. However, next yime i fire it and shift into gear, tje code comes nack. Has to be a once per drive cycle check. Well pull codes with the bmw specific scanner when i get home. 

Just scored front bumper, right front fender, spare headlights, and grille for 150. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
9/8/18 4:46 p.m.

One CEL, one smoke, one day at a time.   You'll get there.  Good score on parts, I assume they are nicer than what ya got.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/8/18 6:02 p.m.

Definitely better shape than what i have. Not mint, but far far better. The headlights are for a projector retrofit later. Rest repairs damaged parts.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
9/8/18 9:28 p.m.

~24 years of smoking, and I quit with a vape. If you try it, get an adjustable setup. The extra "warmth" from raising the wattage output really helped kill the craving for a cig. After a week or two picking up a real cig made me gag. I guess it worked. 

Great work on this thing so far. Keep at it!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/15/18 4:14 p.m.

Previous total: 3412.99

new parts:

bumper, fender, headlights, kidneys: 150 from craigslist

sem trim paint: had

headlight polishing kit: had

current total: 3562.99

since the last update, ive been steadily at it.

The new DME came in, and it was glorious. Fired right up, idled perfect, ran fantastic.

20180906_170159 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20180906_170216 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

unfortunately the joy didn't last long. Got a CEL on the way back from family dinner (we were on the way when my wife took the above pictures)

20180908_173203 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

went through diagnostic procedures. Secondary air is still an unknown, but I THINK the electrical solenoid on the back of the manifold has died. I never seem to get vacuum at the valve on the head. I think that's the issue there. Not certain that the valve isn't seized either, to be honest.

Swapped the unresponsive B1S2 under warranty.

20180914_163806 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

which leaves me upstream mixture issues. Maybe. I swapped the sensor earlier today, and the one I pulled from the manifold was sooty, like a spark plug thats been running extremely rich. Hopefully this is the solution, but I aint holding my breath. Probably going to find a stuck injector or something.

Anyway, on other facets, ive made some progress.

First, all windows are tinted, and I also added the amplified roof antenna. The antenna did increase range for the stereo reception a good bit. Still ain't great, but better. Maybe a longer mast will help. Seems that for the frequencies I prefer, a 28-30 inch antenna is optimal. Plus, it will make it look like an RC car!

20180909_145641 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

next, I found an ad parting a 98 orient blue sedan. For 150, I got the front bumper, pass fender, unbroken hood grilles, and headlights. When I got them home, I fixed the crack in the bumper, washed everything, redid the black parts with sem dye (including chrome deleting!), etc. this color is strange in the way it reacts to light.

20180908_171421 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20180909_145621 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20180911_075948 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

swapped the broken kidneys with the fresh ones (insert joke about tub full of ice here)

20180912_085032 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20180912_085037 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20180912_085241 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

still need to find inner fenders and the plastics that go underneath the front floor boards. Mine are all busted up. Wherever this car lived was NOT nice to the plastics.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/19/18 6:47 p.m.

Stampie reminded me to update:

200 miles today. Damn thing just WORKS.

still have a secondary air injection code to find, but thats pretty far down my list of give a damn today. 

I like this car.

Also, having the air conditioning on "meat locker" and heated seats on may be my new favorite thing ever about a car.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/19/18 7:23 p.m.

Heated seats and great AC is so baller. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/19/18 7:26 p.m.

I know!

First time i have ever had heated seats. I feel like a pimp.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/19/18 9:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I know!

Because you *are*!!!

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
9/20/18 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Seems like PO mentioned exactly that

mazdeuce - Seth
9/20/18 9:14 a.m.

Dropped off the kids, turned the AC to Hoth, the seats to Dagoba, and rolled like Lando knowing you're doing the same. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/20/18 9:54 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Seems like PO mentioned exactly that

You did!

And were absolutely right!

Makes my ribs and back feel great. 

Im loving it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/20/18 9:55 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Dropped off the kids, turned the AC to Hoth, the seats to Dagoba, and rolled like Lando knowing you're doing the same. 

Giggity.  Im glad to know you're a star wars geek as well. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
9/20/18 10:03 a.m.

Handsome car.  Funny, as you get older, creature comforts move higher up the list.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/20/18 12:02 p.m.

I never pegged myself as a creature comfort guy.

But im ok being one.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/20/18 2:43 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I know!

Yo yo  yo Pimp Daddy wutt up!?!?!????

Doan mean to burst yur bubble but the 'V' has chilled seats to boot.....jus sayin' yo

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/20/18 2:52 p.m.

Hmm.....

Air conditioned seats.....

My first luxury car is 20 years old. 

So how many more years until ac seats fall low enough in the depreciation curve for me to afford?

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/20/18 2:58 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Hmm.....

Air conditioned seats.....

My first luxury car is 20 years old. 

So how many more years until ac seats fall low enough in the depreciation curve for me to afford?

Man not really sure, but the twin roundels may have had something not too much newer than your sled  with that feature....googlefu it

Hey you and the peeps high and dry or is this addressed in the off topic thread???

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/20/18 3:30 p.m.

High and dry!

Little flooding in the shop. Gonna have to replace some of the floor, but all things considered we came through great.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/20/18 3:48 p.m.

Don't listen to 759NRNG, his V only has vented seats. They blow air on you but only ambient. You need to wait until you can get ahold of something proper that blows chilled air on your tingly bits. It's quite pleasant. 

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
9/20/18 8:05 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

At what point does the chilled tingly bits benefits outweigh the shrinkage cons?

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
9/20/18 10:57 p.m.

So what's the "rule" about calling someone by their real name if you've met them in person?  Anyway, I've been working on using dialysis chair parts converted to 12v to add heat to the lumbar only of my Miata for almost free.  Seriously,  the cost will only be 2 relays, 2 fuses and maybe some kind of rheostat

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/21/18 4:56 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Don't listen to 759NRNG, his V only has vented seats. They blow air on you but only ambient. You need to wait until you can get ahold of something proper that blows chilled air on your tingly bits. It's quite pleasant. 

TOMATO TOMATOE a cool breeze on ones' posterior regardless of the method by which it occurs is a TREAT. And you'll miss that pleasantness when the panzervagen goes by-by.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/21/18 7:02 a.m.

Wether refrigerated or ambient, cooled seats sound glorious. Someday.....

And my real name us in my signature for all to see. I think the "rule" is if you know real names are public on the forum, you're safe. Or if the screenname is the real name.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/22/18 9:28 a.m.

What was your stickum of choice on the bumper crack repair?  Also is there a secret science(prep,scuff,fill,sand,etc) to repairing exterior gouges on these ABS bumper 'skins' ?

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HEXE04G0FUcCwzOlASH3PpaGo4GQ3M7fGheZWwhs6H30ExmS8OWW6JhYyHUJeBFS