SkinnyG UltraDork
12/7/18 9:48 a.m.
tip said:

Threads like these keep me coming back

It's easier if you just never leave laugh

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/7/18 9:58 a.m.

A selection of vintage audio equipment has been purchased. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/7/18 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie :

This USB port could have been a Bluetooth transmitter also, to send music to your newly acquired system.

And thanks for helping with the garage clean out.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/7/18 5:28 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

My order from Summit arrived today. 

The lowering blocks are 4" units to replace my existing 3" ones.

I've been unable to source the proper sway bar to frame bushings through parts store sources and instead had to measure the bar and go to Energy Suspension and find the right part number off their size chart. 

And last, with the drop control arms, I was able to stuff the front tires into the fender lips under hard compression. So I got a pair of slightly taller bump stops for the front. I will tune them taller with thick washers if I need to.

It's raining outside right now and I've got cars parked under the carport outside the shop, so I didn't feel like moving a bunch of stuff out into the rain to get better outdoor shots.

Tasty ass Miata garage mate 

uh, is SWMBO's sled outside under the 'caport' ?

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
12/7/18 5:39 p.m.

Came across this while I was out on my route today. Talked to the owner for a few minutes. It's his "beater"... 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/7/18 6:34 p.m.
759NRNG said:

uh, is SWMBO's sled outside under the 'caport' ?

Yes. Her Camry and my Tacoma both live under the carport. It's nicer than it sounds.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/7/18 6:41 p.m.

Just as long as the trip to her car door is closer & drier from the side door than yours ....then I 'spose it's all good.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/7/18 8:33 p.m.
Mr. Lee said:

Came across this while I was out on my route today. Talked to the owner for a few minutes. It's his "beater"... 

I approve of this definition of beater

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/8/18 8:33 a.m.

No truck work today. I have been mandated to work overtime. At least my wife is at home to retrieve my Rockauto delivery today.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/9/18 10:34 a.m.

A little progress today. One step at a time right ? All new tie rod ends and strut rod bushings.

A little rambling dialog on specialty tools. This was the most pain I have ever experienced in my life and it came from doing undercar work without having the right tools.

It was pure agony. I have had three full ACL knee reconstructions. They are child's play compared to the finger. It was so bad that my doctor did a digital nerve block and went underneath the nail with a scalpel to start dragging the blood clots out.

So, I realized that if I was going to do this car thing long term, it would be cheaper and more healthy to just buy the right tools. I don't remember what it cost after all this time, but it's made in USA and I was proud of it when I got it. 

No, it's not new. But I do disassemble, clean, and lubricate each one after use.

And it makes changing parts like this completely drama free. No hammers, no risk of injury. Just select the puller and twist it with a wrench.

New strut rod bushings. 

Right now I am off to search for a reasonable supply of brake hose crush washers so I can tune up the brakes on this thing.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/9/18 11:20 a.m.

That's a good tool kit. I'm still regrowing a fingernail from my last "maybe a bigger hammer will work" moment. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/9/18 12:16 p.m.

I just went in search of the latest on that OTC kit. It looks like 102 dollars will buy it with free shipping.

ToolTopia is the shizzle

The ball joint separator is particularly handy. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/9/18 1:45 p.m.

Awesome, I could use these on the tractor in the near future...thanks

Cuz, how high is the truck off the garage floor for this thrash?

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/9/18 2:36 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Awesome, I could use these on the tractor in the near future...thanks

Cuz, how high is the truck off the garage floor for this thrash?

Jackstand height. Say 6 inches between the bottom of the tire and floor.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/9/18 2:44 p.m.

So, two steps backwards today.....

I'm sitting there on my stool contemplating changing the front brake hoses which I had already bought since the old hoses look like dookie.

The front dust caps are held onto the hubs by silicone. Someone before me has made a mess I can tell. So, I might as well yank the front rotors and pack the wheel bearings. Because, any person who uses red silicone to hold the dust caps on can't be trusted to maintain wheel bearings. So, off they come....

E36 M3. That's 50 bucks and a Rockauto order right there.

Might as well look at the calipers closely while I'm here. The more I looked at them, the worse they got. So, let's pop a piston out of a caliper and look-see....

That Rockauto order keeps getting bigger....

Rebuilt calipers are pretty expensive for this little truck, so I'm just going to order some new pistons and all the rebuild bits and do it myself. 

Might as well go ahead and bead blast and paint the hubs too....

And that is how changing brake hoses turned into a week worth of front brake and hub rebuilding. I guess I won't be driving it to work next week afterall.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/9/18 6:35 p.m.

The problem is that you've looked.

It's a whole lot cheaper if you never look.

JRH
JRH New Reader
12/9/18 6:47 p.m.

Just read through the whole thread and I love everything you've done with this truck. This kind of attention to detail is why I love Grassroots. My first car was an '84 Toyota pickup and your build really makes me wish I would've spent more time and money on it. Can't wait to see where you take it from here.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/9/18 7:08 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

When I was under the truck swapping lowering blocks I noticed some slight wetness around the brake backing plate and I notice the leaf spring bushings are toast. I'm estimating that I'll turn that into a 3 week project. It's just so hard not to pick scabs when I see them. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/9/18 7:09 p.m.
JRH said:

Just read through the whole thread and I love everything you've done with this truck. This kind of attention to detail is why I love Grassroots. My first car was an '84 Toyota pickup and your build really makes me wish I would've spent more time and money on it. Can't wait to see where you take it from here.

Thank you. I have a long way to go still. It is fun though.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/9/18 7:31 p.m.

There's a similar truck too this in my local Facebook marketplace and everytime I see it I come check here for updates. It's ashame I cant live with a standard cab anymore! 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/9/18 8:00 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:
...and I notice the leaf spring bushings are toast. I'm estimating that I'll turn that into a 3 week project. 

I'm interested in the leaf spring bushing replacement process.  I think I need to do them on my Suburban project.

Well...I'm actually interested in pretty much everything you've done so far.  And will do ;)

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/9/18 8:13 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

But that moment when you do and realize that all of this is moot unless  you buckle down and address this, the better off all will be....including YOU!!!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/9/18 9:21 p.m.

Cheaper.  Not better. wink

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
12/10/18 1:43 p.m.

*safer

which is the most important part.

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners