3 4 5
Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/8/18 9:35 a.m.

Can you measure the radiator width and height please?  It looks suspiciously like it would work for the Wartburg and that price would save me about $55 in challenge budget 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
11/8/18 9:37 a.m.
Patrick said:

Can you measure the radiator width and height please?  It looks suspiciously like it would work for the Wartburg and that price would save me about $55 in challenge budget 

Stand by brother. I'll go get them for you.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
11/8/18 9:45 a.m.

Overall width outside to outside, including mounting brackets.

Width of just the core itself.

Overall height, bottom of lower tank to top of upper tank, excluding radiator cap neck.

Height of just the core, excluding the tanks.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/8/18 9:54 a.m.

Thanks!  Now i can make a cardboard version to see if we clear.  Width is perfect, height is close 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
11/9/18 12:13 p.m.

I've always had a philosophy that when I remove an engine, I automatically replace the engine mounts, all hoses, water pump, thermostat, and most likely the clutch. That's not always completely cut and dry, and a lot of customers wouldn't part with the money to do it this way, but I try. On my own stuff, those parts are automatically condemned until proven innocent.

Case in point, the engine mounts on this truck. They looked good. They weren't ripped. But I got new ones anyway. The pictures tell the story of how much the mounts had deteoriated over time. They looked pretty good until compared to new ones.

And people wonder why the fan rubs the bottom of the fan shroud and it didn't used to. It's because the engine is sagging about an inch.

This is the fun part of the build, when I've turned the corner and things are getting better rather than worse. The new parts are trickling in and I'm able to throw away old ones and replace them with the new.

And start assembling things into sub-assemblies.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/10/18 10:39 a.m.

What pray tell will be your choice of rims for this 'blast from the past'?

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
11/10/18 11:56 a.m.
759NRNG said:

What pray tell will be your choice of rims for this 'blast from the past'?

If I walked into Super Shops in 1989, this is what I would have bought. 15x8.5 American Racing Outlaw wheels with 205/50-15 tires. In this case, I'm having to compromise on tire brand because BF Goodrich Euro TA tires are no longer made. But I got the wheels right and the tire size correct in a different brand.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
11/12/18 12:59 p.m.

The machine shop called and said that my stuff was ready to be picked up.

To recap, I had them vat the block, bore the block .020 over, surface the deck, and press my new pistons onto the rods.

When I got home, I immediately turned the shop heater up to painting temp and got to work.

I'm using the full three stage VHT shake-n-shoot system.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
11/12/18 1:24 p.m.

Clearcoat!! 

This thing is going to be super when it's done. 

3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners
f5eUaFOLgLLsW1GAukiW72108hRqe6kjqn9RY9R6NH1MizVQpaPSlwQlOAAAn9B6