1 2
therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
12/3/20 3:17 a.m.

I helped a friend get a Mondeo (that would be a Fusion in US dollars) running that had lost it's key programming.

We did not need a correctly programmed key, but ISTR that we actually needed two keys to be able to programme from "scratch". He bought one second hand key and we used one from another of his Mondeos. That one didn't even allow us to check codes at first (keyless car so no key = no "ignition"). We had to bridge a relay to wake the car up.

But I do think that trying to programme PATS keys would be a wise starting step here.

Gustaf

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/19/20 9:14 p.m.

The holidays have really delayed my parts orders. The factory service manual CD hasn't shown up yet but the factory wiring diagram manual finally showed up today. 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
4/29/21 4:26 p.m.

Just an update to this thread, I finally broke down and hauled the Cmax to the Ford dealership about an hour away. The local Ford dealer was honest enough to tell me they had zero experience with a Cmax, so I took it to a much larger dealership. They have had the car for almost a month so far.

They did some diagnostic tests but couldn't figure anything out, so they sent the results to the Ford techline, which took about a week or more to hear back from. The Ford techline told them the issue was with the hybrid battery charging system and they should contact Midtronics, the manufacturer of the hybrid battery charging system. Midtronics took a few days to respond back and told the dealer that the cords for their diagnostic equipment was bad. Midtronics supposedly sent new cords out to the dealer but thats been almost 2 weeks now.

I only approved 2 hours of diagnostic time, so the dealer is going to have to eat the extra time they need to redo the diagnostic tests. Luckily this isn't our only vehicle, honestly it's a 5th or 6th vehicle for us. But all this waiting would be a major issue for some people. Hopefully I'll have some answers eventually, I'm actually curious what is wrong with the car. Once I have an idea of what issues it has and cost to fix, I can decide what the car's fate will be. 

mrhappy
mrhappy Dork
7/27/21 4:19 p.m.

Any update on this?

solfly
solfly Dork
7/27/21 5:54 p.m.
untchabl said:

Just an update to this thread, I finally broke down and hauled the Cmax to the Ford dealership about an hour away. The local Ford dealer was honest enough to tell me they had zero experience with a Cmax, so I took it to a much larger dealership. They have had the car for almost a month so far.

They did some diagnostic tests but couldn't figure anything out, so they sent the results to the Ford techline, which took about a week or more to hear back from. The Ford techline told them the issue was with the hybrid battery charging system and they should contact Midtronics, the manufacturer of the hybrid battery charging system. Midtronics took a few days to respond back and told the dealer that the cords for their diagnostic equipment was bad. Midtronics supposedly sent new cords out to the dealer but thats been almost 2 weeks now.

I only approved 2 hours of diagnostic time, so the dealer is going to have to eat the extra time they need to redo the diagnostic tests. Luckily this isn't our only vehicle, honestly it's a 5th or 6th vehicle for us. But all this waiting would be a major issue for some people. Hopefully I'll have some answers eventually, I'm actually curious what is wrong with the car. Once I have an idea of what issues it has and cost to fix, I can decide what the car's fate will be. 

Interesting thing to factor in when thinking of purchasing something like this as a primary vehicle.

Also interested to see what you find.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
7/28/21 12:01 a.m.

Official diagnosis from the Ford dealer was that the hybrid battery pack was bad and needed to be replaced. By this time, I had already decided to sell the car after I got it back from the dealer. I honestly am not interested in a car that I'm not really equipped to diagnose or work on. I listed it on Marketplace the day after I brought it home from the dealer.

After a few days online, a guy came down and bought it. I gave him all the paperwork the Ford dealer gave me. About a week after he bought the Cmax, the new owner called me to let me know that he had replaced the hybrid battery pack and the car still had the same no start issue. After he did a bit more looking around on the car he found that the transmission case was actually cracked and the engine was locked up. I can't believe that the Ford dealer missed this while they had the car for almost 2 months.

A couple weeks after this, the new owner called to let me know that he had replaced the transmission with a used one from a 2015 Cmax and that the engine was fine. Last I heard he was driving the car with no other issues. Luckily he was able to return the used hybrid battery pack that he had bought. 

solfly
solfly Dork
7/28/21 11:18 a.m.

Quite the saga. How did you make out on the money side of the deal?

untchabl
untchabl Reader
7/28/21 3:12 p.m.

Think I came out about $400 to the good, even after paying the Ford dealer and DMV fees. I'm starting to get to the point of not wanting project vehicles for daily drivers. I'm ready to buy something that is ready to go and doesn't need any major work to be reliable.

Unfortunately I've come to this realization when used car prices are ridiculously high, so I'm not sure what I will end up with.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KqcEWl5Gz81Bw1Va5lGXwDIJQ83nRQULSHtvRZn7Fubyiuw4KZ5nriPOIO4RIZpG