1 2 3 4
ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
1/8/17 5:28 p.m.

I've been working on reinventing my lightly-modded '97 Suzuki DR350SE enduro/supermoto as an updated flyweight ADV bike which I hope will be a unique jack-of-trades. I've really been meaning to start a build thread.

The quick rundown:

-2004 Suzuki RMZ250 front end

-2012 Honda CRF250 rear end (still working out some kinks)

-Rally style fairing with adjustable wind protection, custom dash with more instrumentation and charge port

-Lights with a capital L plus low draw

-Tweaked DR350 frame to accommodate new swingarm, plus built-in luggage attachment points, and a kickstand upgrade

-Nearly-stock DR350 engine, why mess with air-cooled, electric-start, six-speed goodness with a nearly perfectly consistent CV carb?

-Oversize tank

-Custom seat, heated grips, and machining my own footpegs and bar risers to get 'em just the way I like 'em!

-Mish-mash of DR/RM/RMZ/supermoto plastics

Anyone want to see a detailed build thread?

Burrito
Burrito Dork
1/8/17 6:20 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61:

Yep! We want a build thread. We should also get together come springtime and roll some miles on it in the Pinchot or Tillamook!

ascott
ascott New Reader
1/15/17 10:52 p.m.

I have been hammering away at my Grand National (covered in GRM back in 2014 Here). I'm also the GN Pasterjack photographed a few times at CAM East this past August.

All new suspension, engine rebuild, and a host of other goodies. I keep a build blog:

http://blog.andrewdscott.com

Just finished up a cool bit of kit replacing the vacuum connections with push locks so I can stop blowing the hose off the fuel pressure regulator. Further back was a fun project getting a splined NASCAR style swaybar on it, since none of the COTS bars are stiff enough.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/18/17 3:36 a.m.

Good winter project

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/20/17 5:01 p.m.

Door. It is the first project I've completed using TIG I have more detailed pictures, but there's a hole in photobucket.

Stumc
Stumc New Reader
1/23/17 10:31 a.m.

1986 Mazda b2000 I bought for $400, got it running and then immediately took it to pieces. Have a host of parts sat in the garage including an eBay manifold and Saab turbo that are awaiting some mig welder attention before being cobbled together onto the stock 2.0 8v. Goal is 200bhp and irresponsible sideways shenanigans.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
1/25/17 2:39 a.m.

Just saw a post by Jim Busby (of BFGoodrich Porsche 962 fame) where he was taking an old Alfa Indy motor (2.65L V8), and installing it in an Alfa GTV. This might need an article in the near future.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Dork
2/3/17 7:16 p.m.

Don't mind the mess...

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
2/4/17 5:05 a.m.

In reply to phaze1todd: Dude sweet, thats a great mongoose. Check mine out [also my latest "build"]:

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
2/24/17 6:55 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfYGVoNfqTw&t=5s

Here is a build that took me 4 years to complete. Not working full time...just some weekends when I had time. NOT CAR related....BUT I am very proud of the results.

Click on the Video link...slide show at the end that shows a little of the building of it.

KelvinB
KelvinB New Reader
2/28/17 4:53 a.m.

I found the ad, but I don't know jack about the car, and it's not my fault if it is a bigger pile of doo-doo than it looks in the fuzzy Craigslist pictures.

Thanks Kelvin Bardwell

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
2/28/17 8:28 a.m.

Gonna try my hand with a Wheeler Dealer project of my own. Just picked up a 1998 BMW 740iL with 200k and noisy timing chain. This will not be the most difficult job I've ever done. Honestly, I'm not sure it even makes the Top 5 on that list.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
3/6/17 11:03 a.m.

I've got to decide if these bent fenders and quarters get cut for JDMYO! flares...

wawazat
wawazat Reader
3/9/17 5:27 a.m.

I'm working on my driver quality 1969 Cougar convertible with a swapped 351C 4V that I picked up last summer from Utah. Three speed becomes Tremec TKO-600. Suspension changed from worn out stock to custom Bilstein controlled coilovers and composite monoleaf rear springs. Manual drums to Wilwood disc brakes. 14" steelies and hubcaps to 17" Superlites. Goal is to drive it anywhere at anytime with as many of my family members as I can convince to go with me.

crisd
crisd New Reader
4/21/17 9:01 p.m.

I've been posting my project in a differential catagory on here but it probably belongs here... if you want to see my mid-engine truck build...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/bu-suzu/45173/page1/#post787879

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
4/22/17 4:50 a.m.

Since I have dispatched an orange and green RX8 and purchased a Camaro with an Aussie rear axle from an actual Australian it will not surprise anyone to hear that I have another project in the garage.

I will be investing a bit more time on this than the current Challenge car but you will find that under the hood they will be nearly identical.

CBraden
CBraden New Reader
6/8/17 2:05 p.m.
crisd wrote: I've been posting my project in a differential catagory on here but it probably belongs here... if you want to see my mid-engine truck build... https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/bu-suzu/45173/page1/#post787879

Like, very much.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/13/17 11:38 p.m.

I foolishly bought a fan and a radiator without checking to see if shrouds exist to mount that fan to that radiator. After talking to four vendors, I figured out that they don't, so I broke out the clamps, boards, and wooden hammers to bend my own shroud out of the A/C air handler skin

fan, radiator and the cardboard I'm going to use

cardboard model of fan shroud

bent metal shroud, but corners not welded and tabs not riveted* on

Not much to look at, but this is it - bent, corners welded, tabs in place, rattle canned black, and fan mounted.

[*] - because I still suck at sheet metal welding. I just haven't done enough of it to be good with the welder settings on thin metal

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
6/18/17 10:27 a.m.

I bought an '05 Yamaha Wolverine last summer, it's turned into a bit more of a project than anticipated.

Currently trying to track down the source of the internal "knocking" sound.

jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
6/26/17 8:33 p.m.

I'd love to show a before and semi-after on my current build, '73 Mini, but I can't find the instructions for picture posting. Can anyone link me to the basics? -Thx

Carson
Carson Dork
6/29/17 10:09 a.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
7/7/17 4:03 p.m.

We 're putting a Corvette 300hp 327 and four speed transmission in the 1971 Vega Kammback GT.

We have a later Vega rear end with S10 axles for it, although we also have a Dana 44 from a Postal Jeep as an alternative. We also picked up an S10 front brake assembly. The idea is to convert the car from four lug to five lug.

We have loads of photos of the progress so far and were just about to begin a build thread for the project, but all that's going on with Photobucket has put a halt to it. The build thread, not the build.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
7/7/17 9:47 p.m.

Currently, I have a mini bike. Which will be powerred by a Predator 6.5hp engine, and some custom adapters to match the sprocket and brake to the rear wheel doodle bug style cut on 1/4" aluminum with a given to me really small Harbor Freight Drill press. I have Blue .025 metal flake coming in to paint the frame. Then painting the engine cover white, and adapting a large car air filter with a 2x4 cut adapter.

yup, thats about it....

Oh and some sweet LED lights.......yeah

floatingdoc
floatingdoc New Reader
8/15/17 10:03 p.m.

My 16 foot fiberglass canoe is my current project. Bought it in 1970.

So far have a 45 lb thrust saltwater digital Motor Guide trolling motor, working on rigging a fish finder, lights, baitwell.

Building a magnetic mount for my transducer with a couple of rare earth magnets and some thermoplastic.

Went to look at a johnboat trailer last week, and brought home a 2.5 Mercury with it.

Wish I could post photos, but not for $400/month.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/19/17 4:19 p.m.

Fabbed a mounting bracket for a BMS OCC for the 2.8L Duramax. Thought I could just wing it but every attempt was like a monkey berkeleying a football. One piece/ one fit at a time and weld off the truck. Lost count of hours but I wanted it stout. Some thought it overkill.

The BMS OCC is a really nice piece w/ 3/4" OD barbed nipples. Originally bought this for the 335xi N54 but the port size works w/ the truck's PCV, no neckin' down.

Now to see what it'll catch.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jW2IuudVc7WOgKKnqrTbHhZ7LuwO6Gj17heNOEQ2F3weVWu8FZD36pXigk6igAsS