2 3 4 5 6
ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/21/18 1:44 p.m.

its got wheels, so maybe this counts?  currently very much in progress but here's my homebuilt teardrop camper:

the frame is a Northern Tool Ironton 5x8 with an upgraded axle and 15" wheels/tires.  the overall shape is being taken from a build plan called the Wyoming Woody with my own modifications for a "bunk" that my 5 year old can sleep on as well as a reconfigured galley to suit my cooler and water containers.  it'll get aluminum skin on the outside when all is done.  hoping to have it on the road by June!

if anyone wants to see a build thread i'd be happy to throw it together.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
3/21/18 7:55 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Umm, I'm interested. That looks great!

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/21/18 7:59 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Nice work! I built one a few years ago. Put like 10,000 miles and countless nights on it. Hauled it from Vegas almost all the way to Cabo! 

Beach in Baja:

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
3/21/18 9:15 p.m.

Built a 48 Ford flat head the other day. Haven't worked on a flat head in a few years. One piston had a crack so replaced them all. Was low miles and didn't need to go oversize so new standard bore pistons bearings etc.  Note the 4th piston ring.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%20Head%20Shop/20180222_182755_zpsgquzl98z.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%20Head%20Shop/20180225_163354_zpslp92s406.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%20Head%20Shop/20180313_203622_zpsp7c3qjgm.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%20Head%20Shop/20180313_222556_zpskzyewnv5.jpg.html][/URL]

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/22/18 10:10 a.m.
VegasNick said:

In reply to ScottyB :

Nice work! I built one a few years ago. Put like 10,000 miles and countless nights on it. Hauled it from Vegas almost all the way to Cabo! 

Beach in Baja:

thanks!  yours looks super cool.  you gotta tell us about your adventures!  i can't wait to get to 10k miles on ours, hopefully we'll hit both coasts by that point.  i'm also hoping to get it to some track days as my pit lodging.

wheelsmithy said:

In reply to ScottyB :

Umm, I'm interested. That looks great!

much appreciated - maybe i need to start up a thread about it.  one thing i like to point out about my build is that i'm nobody special in the fabrication department.  i know some basics and have some tools, but otherwise it was just a lot of research and planning so far.

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/22/18 3:10 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Scotty,

We lived in Vegas for 9 years. I ran ghost town tours all over NV, CA, and AZ. I would take off road groups on 1,000 mile 5 day runs and camp all over these awesome historical places. Of all that, the trip to Baja was the icing on the cake. We spent a week living out of that little camper and saw some of the most awesome places. You will have to scroll back a few pages due to all the content related to my car build, but here is my FLICKR that houses my ghost town and off road adventures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fjghosttowner/

And some of road video content:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FJGhostTowner

If you ever start exploring NV or that area, let me know. I have more maps than I can count! 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/23/18 3:51 p.m.
VegasNick said:

In reply to ScottyB :

Scotty,

We lived in Vegas for 9 years. I ran ghost town tours all over NV, CA, and AZ. I would take off road groups on 1,000 mile 5 day runs and camp all over these awesome historical places. Of all that, the trip to Baja was the icing on the cake. We spent a week living out of that little camper and saw some of the most awesome places. You will have to scroll back a few pages due to all the content related to my car build, but here is my FLICKR that houses my ghost town and off road adventures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fjghosttowner/

And some of road video content:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FJGhostTowner

If you ever start exploring NV or that area, let me know. I have more maps than I can count! 

Thanks for the info.  I went through your adventure album like a kid in a candy store...I bet you have some cool stories.  I appreciate the offer for the maps - some day I'll take you up on that.  We'll focus on the east coast at first with some trips planned for the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Keys and Eastern Shore MD as shakedowns.

Camper looks great, that's one stout chassis and i like the painted exterior a lot.  Was that a paint over fiberglass or some kind of coating like a bedliner?   The lighting on the interior is very slick too.

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/23/18 6:56 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Thanks man! 

The camper was 3/4 cabinet grade plywood with FRP panels glued over that. 2x2 stud wall inside with 1/8" paneling. Painted with marine grade paint from West Marine. The thing was a beast for sure. The lighting inside was LED recessed lighting fro eBay. :) 

I had a lot of fun over the years in that thing. Now a young family has it and continuing the adventures. 

drivendaily
drivendaily Reader
3/24/18 5:56 p.m.

I'm finally getting around to doing drywall in the shop.

CadVetteStang
CadVetteStang New Reader
4/6/18 12:30 p.m.

When I started building the autocross suspension for this car 3 years and 9 months ago, this is where I came to get advice. I learned a lot from you all and just wanted to say thanks.

[URL=http://s798.photobucket.com/user/kaywoodcove/media/2002%20Eldorado%20ESC/02%20Eldorado%20ESC%20Build%20Thread/0322181745a-1-1.jpg.html][/URL]

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/23/18 8:43 a.m.

In reply to CadVetteStang :

1.  Thank you for your service!

2.  Build thread?

Joe_Mama
Joe_Mama New Reader
4/26/18 11:17 p.m.
akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
4/29/18 5:48 p.m.

It followed me home - can I keep it? laugh

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
4/29/18 8:24 p.m.

In reply to akamcfly :

Yes, very much YES

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
4/30/18 4:28 a.m.
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy said:

In reply to akamcfly :

Yes, very much YES

Only 38,xxxkms - that's 24,xxx in freedom units. Complete, plastics mostly good, starts right up. Paid $650cdn or $525US. Parts prices are reasonable except for brake rotors - holy berk are brake rotors expensive for old gl1100s!

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
4/30/18 7:48 a.m.

This was a scrap-heap frame/fork.  Its a Ross Cr-Mo 66cm.  Made it into a SS/FG.  Stripped to bare metal and painted with Rustoleum.  Parts are eBay/Amazon "deals". 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
5/20/18 8:13 a.m.

I didn't film the build of this project but it's one of the best things I've ever built. I had a 125 shifter kart with no motor kicking around and I stuck a Honda CR250 2 stroke engine in it and it is glorious to drive. Way more fun than a 125 shifter kart because it has power everywhere, not just at the top of the rpm.

Short video of the kart and some onboard footage

rapidcarremoval
rapidcarremoval
5/30/18 9:33 a.m.

Seeing this motivated me to continue my plans of modifying my car. I was actually planning to sell my car and just get a new one but it still works fine. I'm glad to see this, I got so many idead how and where to start!

m33pm33p
m33pm33p New Reader
6/7/18 11:12 p.m.

Went ahead and picked up this rediculiusly stanced car... poor kid sure knew how to ruin a capable car.  Some maintenance and a few upgrades and she'll be tearing up the pavement in BC Canada

future smf plans.. everything except the engine (d16y8 with jrsc)

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
6/9/18 8:57 p.m.

I am finishing up the last bits of a long term project and was able to dig up a bunch of build photos.  Anyone interested in a Build Thread on how this...

IMAG0365 by Ben Modified, on Flickr" />

becomes this...

new ape by Ben Modified, on Flickr" />

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
6/10/18 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Ben_Modified :

Lets be perfectly honest, Ben. We're ALL interested in thatcool

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
6/10/18 9:52 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Ok, I will post it in the Build Section.  Thanks

WillHoonForFood
WillHoonForFood New Reader
6/12/18 8:46 p.m.

Just dreaming in 3D right now and learning me some Fusion 360. The vision is to build an homage to Chaparral and the Corvair. Kind of a weird combination, but there's a common thread there I promise (more than just tail lights!).

Anyway, I'm a long way from bending any tubes, but it feels good to have something to tinker with while I build up the necessary resources.

The_Acura_Enthusiast
The_Acura_Enthusiast
6/24/18 2:32 p.m.

I have an 1994 Acura Integra LS (Non-VTEC engine).  Any performance mods that are ultra cost effective (Preferably under $50) I can perform for starters?  (Might post pictures later)

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
6/24/18 3:26 p.m.

I'm thinking about posting a build thread.  For the Empire!

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r2ew9YB8CzInd2rLFkP6qYyqwkRNPLMbGCTJkExQYWK4JnA75ikBZWL5jV95PCir