3 4 5 6
Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/5/19 4:07 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Yes...Yes it is.  I am interested to see just how fast it is.  If I can make 450whp at some point in the future...once I get used to the car.  That should be about 4.6 lb/hp.  Not too shabby. 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
5/6/19 4:29 p.m.
Challenger392 said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

Oh I was aware...thats probably the crazy part about it.  Its like selling your reliable Toyota to buy a 70's Italian car as a daily driver.  It DOES NOT make sense, yet here we are.....

The good news is you will have lots of people cheering you on.  We all like it when someone does something this crazy. It is always interesting at the very least.  Besides if it goes really fast you will just be closer to proving me right.  I said a few years ago that you would be King of the Hill at some point.  

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/8/19 11:34 a.m.

So I used a mill for the first time.  Thanks to Paul at Supercar Machine shop for the use of his equipment.

The result

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
5/8/19 12:29 p.m.

Where did those calipers come from and do spider webs help with stopping?

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/8/19 12:42 p.m.

In reply to KevinGale :

Paul robbed the Willwoods that were on the chicken for #2. So my options were to either buy a new set or use these old calipers he had lying around, and make adapters for them I chose option B.  They were once a pretty nice caliper, and he even had a spare to go with them.   They are the biggest disk and caliper your going to get in these 15" wheels.  Only about 1/4-3/16" of clearance to the rim. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/24/19 2:17 p.m.

Been a lot of things happening lately with the Chicken.  I took last weekend off of work to buckle down and get things done.  My brother stopped by to help as well.  We managed to put quite a dent in the projects list.  He mainly worked on bolting up CV axles, installing the shocks, and general tidying of items I had mocked up but had not completely finished.  I have spent most of my time wiring all of the engine sensors to the Megasquirt ECU.  I still have to wire up the knock sensors, e85 sensor and the MAP sensor.  Once they are wired up I "SHOULD" be able to attempt to start it (hopefully this week).  I also had to machine an other .170" off of the front two caliper adapters that I made in order to make them fit correctly.   Im really excited to get this thing down on its one 4 wheels and see how it comes up on the scales!!!! We scaled the SuperChicken2 a while ago and it came up as 2080lb full fuel without driver.  Interested to see if this one come in any lighter.   Once it is down on its wheels, and if it starts, I will feel more comfortable registering for the Okemo hillclimb coming up in June.  It really could be a good event for test and tune as it has quite a few nice long accleration zones. 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
5/27/19 7:26 a.m.

In reply to Challenger392 :

Glad to hear progress is being made.

Once you get it scaled I'd like to use the scales to re-balance my car.  So if you get the Chicken scaled and get to Okemo bring the scales.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/27/19 7:27 a.m.

In reply to KevinGale :

Well do, hoping to have it on the scales this week. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/27/19 10:19 a.m.

Mounted the oil catch can I bought off of amazon!!! 

I tried to duplicate the stock design as much as I can, I routed both valve cover vents to the can. From there, one hose goes through a one way valve back to the intake manifold, and the hose out of the bottom of the can returns to the stock crank case return, this allows the crank case to be under vacuum while at low throttle (helps ring seating) while closing off under boost so that I dont pressurize the crankcase while under load.

I also may add a T to the hose between the can and the intake manifold.  From there it would go through another one way valve, and to a bayonette cut tube in the exhaust pipe.  The benefit here would be to provide vacuum and scavenging of crank case fumes while the engine is on boost.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/1/19 5:29 a.m.

Update time!!!! I finally got the brakes all setup and bled.   A couple of the calipers I was using were stuck from sitting around a while.  Also the rear two had the bleeder holes filled with dirt from whatever rally car that they came off of.  I will probably still have to do a final brake bleed once I have someone to give me a hand.  The really nice thing about the front brakes is that I can sit in a chair next to the car, operate the brake paddle/lever and the bleed screws for that side all at the same time.  Its fairly convenient. 

After sorting out the brakes I riveted the belly pan back up under that car, tidied up a few things and............... wait for it........... Put it down on the scales!!!!!!!!! Whooohooooo

I've been waiting to see what she weighs.  The pic below is with driver, helmet, and full fuel, oil, etc.

It will still gain a little here and there, I have one exhaust pipe to finish on the R/H side and the tin hood to put back on, but this was close enough to be able to get cross weights setup enough to run. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/1/19 11:54 a.m.

It MAY be ambitious, but I trying to be able to run the Okemo Hillclimb June 14-16 with this car.  If the car runs and drives it will be there.  I have been troubleshooting an issue with my crank position sensor.  It will crank 6-7 revolutions with perfect crank signal off the toothed wheel then signal cuts out completely, then comes back perfect for 6-7 revolutions.  I DID route the crank sensor wiring a little close to the #1 coil, so the first thing to do will be to re-route it in a better location.  If that doesnt work Im going to supply the CPS with a dedicated 5v source instead of the 5V off of the Megasquirt, just to rule out a faulty or overloaded power supply circuit.  Once it will start I can drive it around the yard and scale the fuel map until I get an acceptable AFR.  The megaquirt still has the old VE table loaded from when it was run last, so im hoping I can just scale it for the new injector size and everything will work OK. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/3/19 5:19 p.m.

New (used) fuel injectors will be going in soon. They are a used set of RC engineering 750cc high impedance injectors.  Paul had a set of 1200cc but that seemed a little overkill. Pics are side by side with the stock injectors. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/7/19 7:15 p.m.

Scratch that, reverse it.  Turns out the 750cc injectors are peak and hold (low impedance) not saturated (high impedance), good thing I checked before I installed them.  Sooooo, overkill it is. I went back and got the set of 1200cc injectors instead. 

I think they will flow plenty

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/7/19 7:20 p.m.

Since the injectors are a retrofit, and have hats, i repacked them and tested them with this nifty device. 

The carb cleaner hose is just RTV'd into a standard tire valve stem. The heat shrink is there just to add support to the tiny hose.  The injector conveniently snaps into the rubber of the valve stem. Great for pressure testing and spay pattern checking and cleaning. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/7/19 7:24 p.m.

I then installed the injectors and made some simple little brackets to hold them in. 

I even had an assistant!!!!!

And a few supervisors.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/7/19 7:29 p.m.

I installed the seat, and a bunch of other stuff I didn't take pictures of.  And I pushed it outside.  (Simplified version)

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/7/19 7:34 p.m.

And after some scaling of the main fuel table in Tuner Studio this is the result!!!!!

A post shared by Luke Moultroup (@lukemoultroup) on

I remind you that this ECU has run in this car before with the same model engine so the fuel table should be kinda close-ish,  scaling the global fuel constant until i got some normalish AFR numbers should have it pretty close. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/22/19 3:26 p.m.

Soooo I made it to Okemo, Kinda.. I went to the event but the car did not.  Luckily (for me) I didn't miss much, it was a half wet weekend with some delays that meant we didn't get a ton of runs.  I got to work the start line, which is fun.  First row seat to some great launches.  Why didn't the Chicken make it?  I had a lot of last minute items to complete, and after I discovered an axle fitment issue just a day before leaving it just wasn't worth rushing to try to get there.  My right front axle was a little too short so as soon as I started to drive it around the yard it busted the inner CV from over-extension.  I also discovered that I needed to make a longer rod for the clutch slave cylinder, it was bottoming out the piston just as the clutch was starting to disengage.  I thought it just needed bleeding, then the 20 year old plastic gave way and it blew in half.  I sourced a replacement unit that day from O'reilly,  Its actually a fairly nice case aluminum unit that looks more robust than the plastic Audi one.  The next event is Burke Mountain in early August.  I WILL be there.  Im hoping to get some Dyno time in there somewhere too,  just to prove the drivetrain a little better before taking it to the mountain.  And because EVERYONE seems to want to know what power it will make. (Including me)

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
6/23/19 8:41 a.m.
Challenger392 said:

And because EVERYONE seems to want to know what power it will make. (Including me)

Enough to get in trouble I predict. :-)   Of course that doesn't take much since I've been most scared in the car with the least power I've driven on the hill.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/23/19 10:07 a.m.

In reply to KevinGale :

I assume your referencing the Daewoo?

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
6/24/19 6:09 a.m.
Challenger392 said:

In reply to KevinGale :

I assume your referencing the Daewoo?

Yes!

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
8/8/19 9:16 a.m.

Its been a while, buts its update time!!!! After many months or sorting and re-sorting different issues the car was finally ready for the Burke 1 hillclimb.  I was hoping to get some dyno time in before hand but finances and time said otherwise.  I settled for a couple sessions of tuning on the access road of Pauls shop. I was able to pull through 3 gears, which wasnt bad.  I got the afr close enough to be able to run Burke.  

The hillclimb went surprisingly well considering it is a newly setup car.  I had some issues with oil smoke out the exhaust and some oil leaking but nothing huge.  Changing my crank case breather setup fixed that mostly.  Besides that I spent most of my free time tuning between runs.  On Saturday (practice day) I did have some trouble with the engine breaking up under boost.  By the end of the day we discovered that it was the fault of old spark plugs that had far too large of a gap (.040 vs .023 it should be).  Once we fixed that it cleaned up nicely.  I ran the whole weekend at around 12-14lb of boost, Which felt GOOD.  I tried to turn it up to 17.5lb but it didnt seem to want to cooperate.  Ill have to play with the gain in the megasquirt to figure out how to regulate it correctly.  From looking at my datalogs it appears that the 13ish lb of boost is just what the turbos make minimum.  Im excited to see what it feels like on more boost.  It definately felt like it could use more push in 4th and 5th gear.   As for times, I definately wasnt setting the world on fire. I was happy with my 2:13.14 though considering its a new car im learning to drive. My best with the Modified was a 2:10.29 so im not too far off. 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
8/8/19 9:51 a.m.

Great first event!   Nothing blew up or broke.   

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/8/19 10:45 a.m.

I call that a total win! Good job.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
8/8/19 2:34 p.m.
KevinGale said:

Great first event!   Nothing blew up or broke.   

Agreed ! Really enjoyed reading this whole thread today. You made a tone of progress in a relatively short amount of time! Congrats!

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SxV8Krk0DToFLun5KMoIz6l9CZAwncBYInkwHw2A9x2H8w2fT0j21wAsd6cBej4H