joerauh
joerauh
8/20/16 2:22 p.m.

OK, we all would like a fast car that is track viable and street legal. I'm dealing with an older marque (TVR) and have seen a racing model of it with a Plexiglas wrap around windshield. Does anyone have experience with getting on of these on the road legally? I can add a small windshield wiper (which will never be used) if needed. I live in California if you have any experiences here. JoeR

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/20/16 3:41 p.m.

Check the highway code. Chances are it explicitly states that windshields must be made of safety glass. It varies by state. In Colorado, if you have an Old Man Hot Rod, you can go without a windshield. Seriously, there's an exemption for cars that look like old Fords or something.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
8/21/16 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Is that related to just cars that were made before the invention of safety glass or is it like specifically "this body style was owned by a state legislator, so cops can suck it?"

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/21/16 11:57 a.m.

Part 2.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
8/21/16 5:42 p.m.

Start with CA Vehicle Code 26700 and read a couple codes after that.

Basically, it tells you you need an "adequate" windshield. Never defines adequate. Then says cars manufactured after a certain year are required to have safety glazing material on all windows. Then further rains on the parade by saying all cars made after a certain date must have 2 windshield wipers, or 1 that meets the federal wiping standards... Yes, there is a federal standard for windshield wiper coverage in inches^2.

All that said, if you can swing the car as having "historic value" and it is over 25 years old you can get historic plates (covered in CVC 5004) and be exempt from most safety requirements, including all those outlined in the 26700 area.

Edited because my phone auto capitalized federal... They don't deserve that right now. I'm surprised I didn't have to clarify, I wonder how long we have CDC sponsored federal bum wiping standards put into law.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/21/16 8:22 p.m.

FYI, you can install clamp-on manual wipers temporarily. Using ones intended for a boat works well.

A federal standard for wiper coverage makes perfect sense. If you're going to require them, you should define what constitutes a proper set. We all benefit from that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yScK8ZLvCmnHWV0LxcLd9BZGrN2NYY3pU7StEZIJkxPpf5IrqhLZ55TTxbGmi6i3