Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/15/22 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Rons :

Problem is right now that the business model for some of the networks is to collect subsidy money for installation, not for charging.

If a 220 mile return trip with no local chargers is in the cards occasionally, consider that you can always stop on the way and recharge. Sure, you might have time for a sit-down meal with a 50 kW charge speed - although really, you just need enough energy to make up your range deficit, it's not a "charge to full" situation. But a rare situation like this is vastly overshadowed by the daily time savings.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/15/22 1:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Rons :

Problem is right now that the business model for some of the networks is to collect subsidy money for installation, not for charging.

If a 220 mile return trip with no local chargers is in the cards occasionally, consider that you can always stop on the way and recharge. Sure, you might have time for a sit-down meal with a 50 kW charge speed - although really, you just need enough energy to make up your range deficit, it's not a "charge to full" situation. But a rare situation like this is vastly overshadowed by the daily time savings.

Well put

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/15/22 1:49 p.m.

Agreed, for my situation, 95% of trips are easily within range, my garage at work has 3 plugs available, and there are actually more chargers than I realized after doing a bit of a dive into the charging apps.  I'm leaning more towards 'non-issue' now.  Im guessing as you get used to discharge profiles and such, you get more comfortable with range as well.

Interestingly, the local Come-as-You-Are used to have 4 plugs; they removed them since they ended up just being brodozer parking slots.

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
9/15/22 4:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think you (or someone in the thread) mentioned that Tesla Superchargers fail "open" in that customers can charge their cars even if the Supercharger can't communicate back to the Mothership.  If the subsidies had a mandate for similar behavior, or an industry-agreed method of collecting uptime and reporting back with subsidies contingent on hitting X target, I think we'd see a much different service model.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/15/22 5:31 p.m.
Rotaryracer said:
Keith Tanner said:

I think you (or someone in the thread) mentioned that Tesla Superchargers fail "open" in that customers can charge their cars even if the Supercharger can't communicate back to the Mothership.  If the subsidies had a mandate for similar behavior, or an industry-agreed method of collecting uptime and reporting back with subsidies contingent on hitting X target, I think we'd see a much different service model.

Agree 100%. And yes, I have posted that about Superchargers. Checked with a friend who works at Tesla, if they can't confirm they SHOULDN'T charge, they do. I think it should be a requirement.

I experienced this when my free Supercharging ran out. I didn't get a notification (it was supposed to happen on a certain date, but nobody got around to actually making it happen). I didn't find out until I was on a road trip and plugged in. The car still charged, I got a note in the app that told me I had to set up a credit card if I wanted to do it again. But the priority was to ensure mobility, not payment.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/23/22 9:37 p.m.

I forgot to post this from our date night a week ago

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/27/22 2:12 p.m.

I have over 65,000 miles now. It's a bit squeaky here and there in heave, but otherwise it's flawless.

The van has just over 80K, although it's a year older. It's going to the dealer for a valve body since it shifts bizarrely. 

The Bolt continues to not shift. It's wonderful.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/27/22 3:06 p.m.

I really appreciate your regular updates.   
just out of curiosity  if you drive on the battery, let's say on a freeway  if you drove at say 55 instead of 65 would you get further before the engine started up?  More range?  
Or doesn't it matter?  

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
10/27/22 4:28 p.m.
frenchyd said:

I really appreciate your regular updates.   
just out of curiosity  if you drive on the battery, let's say on a freeway  if you drove at say 55 instead of 65 would you get further before the engine started up?  More range?  
Or doesn't it matter?  

The Bolt has no ICE component.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/27/22 4:39 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Oops I confused the Volt  with the Bolt.   I do that often, well because a Volt is an EV to me and a Bolt is more like an ICE.  
  OK even better. Will you get more range with a Volt going slower or say 10 miles /hr faster?  My gut say faster causes more drag but maybe the lower RPM is less efficient?  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/27/22 8:15 p.m.

I can't speak to the volt. The Bolt seems less efficient as speed goes up. I could get more specific with data if you want, but it would take some doing to eliminate enough variables. 

I'm getting an average of 4.2 mi/kwh since I got the tires. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/28/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Aw, it's just range anxiety. I'm normally very prudent when it comes to refills but if I had to go another say 5 miles than the car says it can go, could I slow down enough to stretch it those 5 miles?  Freeway minimums around here are 40mph. If I slowed down to that from say 60 mph.  Would it help me stretch the range?  
 I realize everything is different terrain, weather, heck even maintenance on the car. Etc 

But knowing I have an extra few miles if I really needed them•••••
    Long story  you can ignore if you want. During the Fuel Shortage of 1973 some gas stations were only open for a few hours.  I was driving my Vega Across western Montana  late one night. I got a full fill up in Billings and headed west  cruising at barely 40  mph my fuel mileage went from barely over 20 to over 30 that night. Sun came up and in the distance there was a gas station with its lights on.  I think I saw 3 vehicles on the road all night ( none in my direction )  I had propped up a paperback on the steering wheel, read a sentence,  glanced up to confirm no one was around.  And read another. Finished the book as I looked up and saw the lights of the gas station. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
10/28/22 10:14 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Lots of  information here:  Chevrolet Bolt EV Range at Constant Speeds (roperld.com)

I can not vouch for the accuracy but I think it has some good general guidance towards what you are after although the specific graphs do not cover very low speeds.

A sample graph from the website: 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/28/22 12:18 p.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

Sure seems to indicate that a40 mph speed would add significant range.  Thanks. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/5/22 3:05 p.m.

Long long ago when I was very hesitant about EVs (so, pre 2012) I made some comment about how they would have to consider liquid cooling cables if fast charging was the goal, no matter what the battery chemistry ended up with.

Tesla Supercharger V4 cable, for up to 1 megawatt

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/5/22 3:40 p.m.

I wonder how much energy is lost via heat from the charging cable.

Whats fascinating to me is that the higher power chargers are actually more efficient than the L1 chargers.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/5/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I'm pretty sure the V3 Tesla superchargers have always had liquid cooled cables. They started installation of those about 3 years ago and it's pretty much all they've installed since other than some of the 75 kW urban chargers. I don't know about the high power EA chargers but it wouldn't surprise me for the high voltage CCS stuff.

Level 1/2 chargers are AC whilst fast chargers are DC, so you don't have the conversion losses.

Erich
Erich UberDork
12/6/22 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

the 150kw+ EA charge stations do indeed have liquid cooled cables, since about 2018. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/6/22 9:24 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Level 1/2 chargers are AC whilst fast chargers are DC, so you don't have the conversion losses.

Right, but Level 2 is significantly more efficient than Level 1.  I'd love to see the breakdown of why that is.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/6/22 10:14 a.m.

I have a friend who works on the energy storage side of Tesla, I'll see if he knows.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/6/22 12:36 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Keith Tanner said:

Right, but Level 2 is significantly more efficient than Level 1.  I'd love to see the breakdown of why that is.  

Line losses due to voltage, probably. A Level 1 charges the car at 120v, a Level 2 charges at 240v. They're not really doing much, just forwarding the supply voltage plus a pilot current that tells the car how many amps it can draw.

Interestingly, the difference is exaggerated at lower charging amounts so there's some sort of overhead at startup. Battery heating? From the summary of https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7046253 

On average, Level 2 charging was 5.6% more efficient than Level 1 (89.4% vs. 83.8%). In those charges in which the battery took up less than 4 kWh, this difference in efficiency was even greater: 87.2% for Level 2 vs. 74.2% for Level 1. 

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
12/6/22 2:06 p.m.

I'm finally reading this thread, and had to comment on this.  

Keith Tanner said:

Heck, BMW's had a real-time efficiency gauge since E30 days at least. I think it was just a vacuum gauge, but it was marked in consumption.

My 1966 Barracuda has a Performance Gauge like this...

Erich
Erich UberDork
12/20/22 10:03 a.m.

Bumping this thread because January 1st is coming and the new EV tax laws will come into effect. I might be looking at trading in the BMW i3 for a new Bolt. I love driving the i3, and the space and range is perfect for me, but it's a BMW - tires are very expensive and getting it serviced locally has been *not great.*

I am seeing a surprising number of 1LT models availability right now locally. Looks like GM has some sort of Friends and Family deal to knock a significant amount off MSRP as well? It only seems to go through January 3rd though. 

One big thing to note is the feds have given themselves an extension though March to figure out what cars qualify for the full and partial federal rebate. This news article says this means the Bolt (and some others) will qualify for the full $7500 until the rules are posted, though I'm not so sure that's the case. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
12/20/22 12:04 p.m.

Thank you for bumping this thread.  
   I've been looking at Chevy's EUV.  With its price point, rebate, and larger size.  It may well be the perfect replacement for the wife's Honda CRV. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/21/22 9:01 a.m.

Well I can answer any questions or offer free test drives in the area. I am coming up on 70K miles. The hatch struts are getting a little weak in the cold. Other than that, it's still the best car I've ever owned.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bFCpfXR8HBFeqNmFQeTBPvektevcWDA731TZBkCtE50M21F281KD7fcJ0CeBDyen