Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/8/19 9:00 p.m.

Very pleased!  I bought it for $500 and put some fresh paint and tires on it and it’s done everything I’ve ever asked of it. It’s very sturdy. 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
4/9/19 6:23 a.m.

While I certainly like the idea and hope it works, I would definitely take down the barn post. Small likelihood something happens but if this got back to the wrong people, even years in the future, you might end up with problems.

Just something to think about!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/9/19 8:49 a.m.
Lof8 said:

Very pleased!  I bought it for $500 and put some fresh paint and tires on it and it’s done everything I’ve ever asked of it. It’s very sturdy. 

I just got off the phone with Cherokee trailers. They no longer build steel car haulers. They only build aluminum trailers. I was looking for something smaller and specific for a Porsche 911. I was shocked. He was very familiar with what I'm looking for and has just custom built a trailer specifically for the 9/11. I know aluminum trailers are very expensive but I was shocked when he told me cost was going to be about two-thirds of what I normally see for an aluminum trailer. In essence I can buy in aluminum trailer for about half of what I have in  just my clutch and flywheel parts I just bought! And the good news is the trailer only weighs about 850 lb!

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/9/19 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Niiiice!

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/10/19 9:35 a.m.

Champcar Daytona race is this weekend. And of course my team prefers to wait until the last minute to do any prep, including re-sealing the engine, new clutch and flywheel. But we have a little bit of aero stuff to try and help our top speed.  Let’s hope our  $1500 entry fee doesn’t get wasted by some stupid little issue that can’t be resolved within 48 hours of the race  :P  I much prefer to have my cars ready much in advance and maybe even do some testing - I know, crazy concept  

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
4/10/19 10:25 a.m.

Chump car: last minute is to early.  

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/10/19 12:06 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Chump car: last minute is to early.  

Hahaha!!  Seems to be our motto. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/10/19 8:15 p.m.

Our rallycross photographer edited some photos to put us on the moon!

JRH
JRH New Reader
4/11/19 7:20 p.m.

Those rallycross events look like such a blast.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/13/19 5:48 p.m.

Car was running real fast for the first hour. Our hot shoe climbed from about 12th in class to 4th. Then we lost power...and oil pressure...and the engine. :( didn’t get to drive Daytona. Might have to take the e36 over there for the next Track Night in America event. 

glueguy
glueguy Dork
4/14/19 4:13 p.m.

They always run the best right before they blow up. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/15/19 12:04 p.m.

Oh no, that sucks.  All that effort and money with no drive time.  As they say, "That's racing."  

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/18/19 3:41 p.m.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/20/19 3:13 p.m.

The autocross shakedown was a great success.  She’s fast and nimble!  I’m in the top modified class and got 2nd out of 6 cars. I think I’ll be signing up for that Daytona track day!

theres obviously gobs of torque to utilize but what I didn’t quite expect was the feeling of the car being very understressed going through the paces. It was a great feeling. I was dropping time as I got acquainted and was driving it less aggressively. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/24/19 8:40 a.m.

Well, I’ve exhausted myself and all possible (affordable) methods to build a 40x40 garage. berkeley the county permit office. I’m going to have to temporarily deconstruct my existing carport and build a 37.5x40 garage.  Hopefully we’ll see some progress soon  

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/24/19 1:31 p.m.

Bummer dude.  On the bright side 37.5 by 40 is still a pretty nice work space.  

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/24/19 3:14 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

yes, I will try to look at the bright side.  It will be a nice space.  I'll end up saving a few bucks over the original size too. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/29/19 4:22 p.m.

Didn’t really need this but it’s super solid and clean, came with konis, koseis, and Bridgestones, price was right and a/c just went out in the wife’s dd, so she needs a loaner. :) Miatas are hard to resist. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/29/19 8:42 p.m.

Wifey loves the new miata!  I’m excited to keep it pretty tame and just enjoy a comfortable street cruiser. We’re already planning a road trip to Miatas at the Gap (tail of the dragon)  in August. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
4/30/19 8:04 a.m.

Looks great! I love my NB!

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
4/30/19 9:57 a.m.

What is the deck length of your trailer? It looks about perfect for most of the stuff I need to haul. I sold my car hauler a year ago to prevent me from bringing home projects.

It was a mistake.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
4/30/19 10:25 a.m.

It’s 15’8” of deck

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/13/19 5:35 p.m.

It’s a miracle!

Scottah
Scottah Dork
5/13/19 6:43 p.m.

We were all rooting for you. Congrats! 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/13/19 7:37 p.m.

I appreciate the support!

i took the e36 to Track Night in America last week because it’s silly I’ve been tracking in FL for several years now and not driven the famous huge banking at Daytona. My Dad has been a big inspiration and help when it comes my car projects, so I invited him along to drive as well. 

What are the odds of 2 green e36 racecars at the same rest stop at the same time?  This is actually the same guy that bought the m52 that I pulled out of my car. Funny coincidence!  Rain was threatening all day but waited until just before my first outing to drench the track. Not exactly ideal for my first outing with the new car on a new track!  It was soaked and the infield portion was SLICK!  Even being extremely cautious, I managed to spin it once and get a black flag. I pulled into the pits for a quick scolding and continued on. 

The rain began to let up and things started to dry. My dad was in the immediate next session, so we swapped and he headed out. Mostly dry course for him and pretty uneventful from the small portion of the track I could see. Car looked fast and sounded mean going by at the start/finish. He pulled in at the end of the session and reported the water temp starting to climb. Damnit!  I hopped in for my next session anyway because I needed some dry track time. 

The car and track were a hell of a lot more fun in the dry. Temp hovered around 3/4 on the factory Bmw gauge (I need to install a real one). If I pushed real hard, I could watch the needle climb, ease off and it would come down. So I altered between them.  The banking is wild!  The G forces shove your body down into the seat like an airplane take off. It was a really cool experience. The fastest area was right after start/finish and I glanced down once to see 140 mph indicated. I think that’s the fastest I’ve ever been in a car - never even touched 6th gear in the T56. 

Dad went out again for his 2nd session and brought her home safely. The plan was to do our first 2 sessions and skip the 3rd to try and get home before midnight, so we loaded the trailer and headed home. It looked like everyone’s 3rd session got rained out as the sun went down anyway, so we made the right decision. Great day!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bHSlAaw7FWSF6JLQ1A4h9QgVwCueuw23uDJFKnduiqRat77abwBFYv3Yw2TyYl06