Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/13/19 7:48 p.m.

Since we got home about 11, dad slept on the couch. We woke up early and took down my old carport. One of my new garage/permitting conditions is that I have to remove it to increase my available “accessory building” square footage. My plan was to take it down nicely and reinstall it later. But it wasn’t coming apart easily at all, so we broke out the sawzall and made quick work. 

Such a shame and a waste to have to remove it.  I can guarantee none of my neighbors give a E36 M3 either way.  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
5/14/19 7:37 a.m.

I think I need an LS swapped car in my life...

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/14/19 3:16 p.m.

It is pretty awesome!  I’m glad I took on the project. 

Snagged a cheap miata parts car driveline on a work trip to Jacksonville for the chump car.  Seller posted a running video and compression gauge photos. Hopefully we’re running again soon. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
5/15/19 7:08 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

Spare engines are always good! How much did you pick it up for? If you don't mind me asking.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/15/19 8:07 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to Lof8 :

Spare engines are always good! How much did you pick it up for? If you don't mind me asking.

Well, it's not so much a spare as it is the new primary engine - LOL.  the last one blew a hole in the side of the block.  It was $500 with the trans.  mileage is unknown.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
5/15/19 8:57 a.m.
Lof8 said:
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to Lof8 :

Well, it's not so much a spare as it is the new primary engine - LOL.  the last one blew a hole in the side of the block.  It was $500 with the trans.  mileage is unknown.

Well, yeah. $500 is a good price though. After the last 2 weekends I'm all out of spare engines, so I'll have to be keeping an eye out. lol

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/21/19 4:45 p.m.

Stuff is happening!

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/22/19 8:49 a.m.

Took the e36 to a PCA autocross the other weekend. I was nipping at the heels of a couple very fast GRMers :)  I installed a thicker Z3M radiator but the factory gauge was still creeping up at times. I’m working on an aftermarket water temp and oil pressure gauge setup. 

I had brought a buddy who was an autox virgin with his Hyundai Veloster turbo.  He’s a recreational airplane pilot and said the autox was 10 times more fun than he expected!

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/22/19 12:08 p.m.

Driving through Lakeland, FL, found a defunct drag strip. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/24/19 5:56 p.m.

The grass and roots layer has been cleared out and 8 truck loads of dirt brought in and packed. Formwork scheduled for early next week. Luckily the forecast looks dry for a bit. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/25/19 10:15 a.m.

Collecting and burning the roots. :)

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/29/19 12:03 p.m.

Formwork today. I’m hoping for inspection tomorrow and pour on Friday. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/29/19 4:28 p.m.

The prep looks wonderful but the inspection is not scheduled until Monday, I’m not sure why.  The subs have been doing a fantastic job, but I’m not real thrilled with the GC.  He came to the site 1 time many weeks ago and that was it.  His communication skills are piss poor.  I’ve asked literally 5 different times what the cost savings is resulting from the slightly smaller building size.  He has still not answered.  But the progress is exciting!

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
5/29/19 4:30 p.m.

That is super exciting

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
6/2/19 10:39 a.m.

Miata got a hard top.  I’ve got a minty fresh tan Robbins top with glass window on the frame for sale in FL if anyone is looking.  I had never actually owned a soft top car before this one, and, at highway speeds, the wind noise is pretty significant.  If the wife and I are going to survive a road trip to NC, the hard top was a must.  We rode with the top down a few times, and it was fun, but I prefer the rigid roof.

Oh yeah, I’ve currently got nowhere to work that isn’t in the direct blazing FL sun.  I need this garage to hurry up.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
6/6/19 6:44 p.m.

Turns out my oem gauge on the e36 was feeding me lies. In the red = about 190 on a real gauge. Guess I didn’t really need that fatter z3M radiator. :/ I probably should have known something was up when the oem gauge would jump to 1/2 immediately upon startup  

Concrete pour is scheduled for 6/17

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
6/7/19 7:09 a.m.

Good for piece of mind but that would drive me nuts seeing it pegged like that!

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
6/7/19 7:41 a.m.
AxeHealey said:

Good for piece of mind but that would drive me nuts seeing it pegged like that!

I agree 100%!  I'm going to try a new temp sensor and if that doesn't fix it, I'll be disconnecting the factory gauge.  I can't look at a red warning light like that and drive with confidence.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
6/11/19 4:39 p.m.

Tire rotation and oil change on this ol girl. Taking her out of hibernation this Saturday night. It’s been a while!

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
6/17/19 9:23 a.m.

Rain was threatening all day Saturday but we decided to trek out ot the track any way.  I was able to get in 2 practice sessions, but the event was rained out after my first heat race.  The neon was feeling a bit loose - not something I've experienced much with this car before - maybe the Falkens are aging out a bit from jsut sitting in the garage for months at a time.  I managed 3rd out of 6 in the 10 lap heat race.  There was a nice group of family and friends there to hang with and we had to huddle together under the canopy for a good 20 minutes - still fun!

Did some go karting for father’s day! Rainy weather made it a slow day at the amusement park and My oldest nephew stayed on the kart lapping for about an hour!

And concrete is going down today!  The guys tell me that if the rain holds off until 3pm - like the forecast says - we'll be all good.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
6/17/19 11:53 a.m.

Rain is holding off for now!

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
6/17/19 12:13 p.m.

Excited to see this go up!

Also, that's one heck of a big dude. I'm sure summer in Florida is not fun for him lol.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
6/17/19 1:29 p.m.
rustybuckets said:

Excited to see this go up!

Also, that's one heck of a big dude. I'm sure summer in Florida is not fun for him lol.

My wife is working from home today, keeping an eye on the place and monitoring the progress.  She says, "they sure do take a lot of breaks."  LOL!

update. The forecast was for heavy rain starting early afternoon, but none ever came!  We dodged a bullet today and slab is nice and smooth. The guys put 2 nice footers under where the lift posts will land. They’re about 2’ x 2’ x 1’ deep. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
7/8/19 8:43 p.m.

Still waiting for the pre-fab metal to show up. I’ve got 3-5 weeks left according to the timeline the GC gave me, so I’m trying to get as many things done to prepare as I can. I had a couple of spigots on the front and side of the lot that I had to cap off for the foundation to be built, as the supply ran right in the same area. So today I trenched around the pad to connect them again and added 2 rough-ins for spigots on the outside of the building as well as 1 for a big sink inside the garage.  

The surrounding dirt has been spread and graded. I’ve got some sod on the way to try and keep the dirt from washing away with the daily summer rains. 

I’m debating if I should apply some epoxy garage floor paint before the building goes up - no masking to worry about around the edges and one more thing I could get done while I wait.

More waiting....

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
7/12/19 6:06 p.m.

Green (yellow) side up!  July 30, tentative building delivery date!

Miata got some tint for the upcoming road trip and a fancy new sticker. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qbe01fWJe7Sy7nYsaovXWwVAiSPsa0QnkpZ4FfCw28BVczbgSFLWBtuOtKglDwsM