Lof8
Lof8 Dork
10/19/19 9:51 a.m.

Final touches before next weekend!

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
10/19/19 10:58 a.m.

still has too many body panels. We need an MRS cart!

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
10/19/19 11:26 a.m.
MrChaos said:

still has too many body panels. We need an MRS cart!

Ya, I'm kind of torn. It looks pretty decent after a coat of paint and I don't think there's a whole of weight to be lost by removing the body panels, but...kart!  

I could always take the panels off and bolt em back on later. Still don't know what I'll do. But I am quite interested in weighing it at the Challenge. 

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
10/19/19 11:30 a.m.

i wish OEM MR-S hardtops werent more than the cars cost.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
10/19/19 12:33 p.m.

The car that took FTD at my first auto cross. (not me)

MR2 sitting on rev limiter, a lot.

You should have a blast with that MR 2. Apparently they can be really fast.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
10/19/19 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Wow!  You got it sticking really nice in those wet conditions!  What you got going on for suspension and tires?

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
10/19/19 9:15 p.m.

I wish that was me, no, I have a 1998 Ford ZX2 and ran with ice tires on the rear, got good practice at counter steer. lol. It was my first auto cross, like ever. I did my second last weekend:

My second auto cross, in a yellow ZX2. This time with good tires.

I was working the course when that MR-2 would come by, on the limiter, and just fly. It was cool. I just figure since you have the same type of car you would have fun.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
10/20/19 4:06 p.m.

I put a comment on the smack talk thread.

I looked at many of the videos that mr2 guy posted that runs up here. Holy cow. And he runs on street tires. And the suspension looks kind of loose, sort of like it's going to fly off the course.

Then you posted its on rails, crap. There go my dreams of autox glory.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
10/20/19 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Lol. My test area was pretty small and it's a super grippy concrete surface, but it felt pretty amazing. The Gainesville surface is definitely not as grippy, but I'm hoping it feels close to the same. My suspension is a mismatched set of Chinese coilovers but they have pretty high spring rates. There was nearly zero body roll at my low speed testing. 

ctk339
ctk339 Reader
10/21/19 1:28 p.m.

I’ve got some fiberglass circle track bumpers if they’ll fit 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
10/21/19 1:47 p.m.

In reply to ctk339 :

I actually have a decent condition rear bumper, but removed as much as I could from the rear to try and improve the weight distribution.  Bonus is the exposed drivetrain in the rear is kind of cool, I think.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/22/19 8:05 a.m.
Lof8 said:

In reply to ctk339 :

I actually have a decent condition rear bumper, but removed as much as I could from the rear to try and improve the weight distribution.  Bonus is the exposed drivetrain in the rear is kind of cool, I think.

I think the exposed rear is very cool. The only thing I am not a fan of is the dingy yellow that still shows. If you had time to touch up that framework in black or maybe glos red, it would pop I think. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
10/22/19 9:47 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

My original intent was a cool Toyota livery that included red on the exposed rear frame. I just don't have time to do it well. My hope is that it really kicks ass in autocross and entices me to keep it another year and keep making improvements and add the livery. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/22/19 10:33 a.m.

I like it!

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
10/25/19 9:16 a.m.

What do you think of a 2wd ranger as a rallycross vehicle? I am thinking an 01+ Duratec with a manual, unless i can find a decent 2wd Tacoma manual.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
10/25/19 3:17 p.m.
MrChaos said:

What do you think of a 2wd ranger as a rallycross vehicle? I am thinking an 01+ Duratec with a manual, unless i can find a decent 2wd Tacoma manual.

I love it. But not because it's the fastest. It's not. I love it's durability and fake-trophy-truck-ness. It barrels through any terrain with a rowdy idgaf reckless abandon. But miatas, e30s etc are a better tool if you're looking to win. 

I held 1st in the Challenge autox for most of the day until the Hong Norr caddy bested me by 2/10s. :( major bummer. But I did beat him later on when we got out again for fun runs. Of course those don't count. But the spyder is absolutely incredible in autox. I'm sure the Hoosiers are a big factor but it's berkeleying crazy how fast it can corner. 

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
10/25/19 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

im just looking for durability, its between a truck and a CVPI

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
10/25/19 4:36 p.m.

Well an I-beam Ranger is super durable. Not much there to go wrong. Everything is beefy. 

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
10/25/19 5:13 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

Well an I-beam Ranger is super durable. Not much there to go wrong. Everything is beefy. 

i am talking A Arm rangers 01+

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
10/25/19 5:53 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

I don't have experience there. But I imagine they're also up to the task. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
10/26/19 9:04 p.m.

Great weekend at the Challenge!  The spyder blew me away with its handling abilities. It's going to stick around for a bit. 2nd in autocross and 15th overall!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
10/27/19 9:21 a.m.

Thanks for adding to the banner collection, Tod!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
11/11/19 1:49 p.m.

Mud Park last weekend. It's crazy out there!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
11/12/19 10:35 a.m.
Lof8 said:

In reply to AWSX1686 :

My original intent was a cool Toyota livery that included red on the exposed rear frame. I just don't have time to do it well. My hope is that it really kicks ass in autocross and entices me to keep it another year and keep making improvements and add the livery. 

I am 100% in favor of this livery.  Congrats on the performance at the challenge.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
11/13/19 12:54 p.m.

Challenge action shots

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kWtcLWF6NwDHdo0Ok2yFl5EWAmR70aMPwB317lZpNCNLAboT0vkChv2TDXCAReFK