Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/13/20 11:03 a.m.

She's fully reassembled and is one potent off road machine.  I drove it down to an empty lot at the end of the neighborhood (big - about 12 acres) and ripped it up good!  I'm very excited for the FIRM event and hopefully some general shenanigans before then for "testing".  All of the changes seem to be working together to make for a really quick toy.  Lots of fun!!  I did have a little snafu with the window nets.  One of the buckles wasn't staying locked - I may have caused the damage when welding it to the support rod, but the ebay seller is sending me a replacement.  The car is at 67" wide and 64" tall.

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
5/13/20 11:15 a.m.

We're gonna need some video of this!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/13/20 2:22 p.m.

DIY rock guards to try and protect the already blasted rear suspension components. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/15/20 1:27 p.m.

Numbers turn anything into a legit racecar  

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
5/15/20 1:48 p.m.

A: You need to meet these guys, especially as they are so close to you.

B: Watch out for how grippy the limestone is at the FIRM.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
5/15/20 3:02 p.m.

the x3 is insanely higher cog than even a stock yxz

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/15/20 3:16 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr (FS) :

I've been watching them closely. Waiting for them to offer to Include anyone other than their YouTube friends. Not sure if it's going to happen. 

did you see the recent "rallycross" track in the back of the freedom factory with jumps?  6 out of 7 Crown Vics didn't make it 7 laps. Lol. Looks fun though!!

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
5/15/20 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Time to start a Youtube channel?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/15/20 4:19 p.m.
hobiercr (FS) said:

Time to start a Youtube channel?

Interesting thought. But I don't think I have the content volume or drive to support a channel that would get on their radar. 

painted up my sandblasted suspension arms and marked the lift points under the car. 

Signed up for a PCA autocross in mid June!  Racecar events are starting to happen again!  I was having withdrawals!

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
5/16/20 11:51 a.m.

Yep, I watched most of that one. Jumps were just a "bit" too big for the Crown Vics. 

He is seriously prolific in his video content. He's got to have a dedicated team to get his stuff out so fast.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
5/16/20 12:31 p.m.
hobiercr (FS) said:

Yep, I watched most of that one. Jumps were just a "bit" too big for the Crown Vics. 

He is seriously prolific in his video content. He's got to have a dedicated team to get his stuff out so fast.

well this month is weird because he is doing a video a day. normally its 2-3 a week

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/23/20 8:25 p.m.

Changed the engine oil and trans fluid today. The machine feels happier. I think the trans fluid might have been original. It was pretty dirty and smelly. Clutch action and shifting smoothness improved a fair bit. Needed to rip up the yard for some testing. :) I'm hoping the rain will stay away tomorrow or Monday so I can take it out to the woods n trails. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/26/20 7:06 p.m.

We had nothing but rain all Memorial Day weekend, so I didn't get any chance for seat time in the YXZ. bummer. The Firm rallyx is coming up this Saturday. Exciting!  It'll be her first real test...except it turns out there are also some dirt oval track SXS races on Friday night at the "Bull Ring" in Ocala...which is on the way to the Firm. Hmm.  Should I aim to give that a shot too?  It's pretty enticing.  At this point I'm planning to go to the Bull Ring to at least spectate. We'll see if I enter the race. I'd hate to break something and miss the rallyx. 

after jacking up the car a few times I realized I have the ride height/preload adjusted so low that the rear springs become loose at full droop. So I added some tender springs to keep things from getting sloppy. 

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
5/27/20 4:28 p.m.

I assume you will roll it more than once in w2w racing

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/27/20 4:42 p.m.
MrChaos said:

Yeah, the W2W is a higher level of risk than rallyx.  However I'm pretty good at keeping myself out of trouble.  I can dial it back when needed.  They do offer some practice sessions before the races.  I think I'm more intrigued by trying the circle track than going w2w.  But I'm leaning toward trying the race. Eek.  

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
5/27/20 4:48 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
MrChaos said:

Yeah, the W2W is a higher level of risk than rallyx.  However I'm pretty good at keeping myself out of trouble.  I can dial it back when needed.  They do offer some practice sessions before the races.  I think I'm more intrigued by trying the circle track than going w2w.  But I'm leaning toward trying the race. Eek.  

i mean just look at short course off road racing, you roll it and keep going

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/27/20 8:17 p.m.

Badass.  I want to come hang out with you at the first Cleetus and Cars at the Freedom Factory this fall.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/27/20 9:14 p.m.
Petrolburner said:

Badass.  I want to come hang out with you at the first Cleetus and Cars at the Freedom Factory this fall.  

Sounds like a plan to me!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/29/20 5:42 p.m.

Well I'm here at the Bull Ring waiting for things to get rolling. We've been delayed a bit by rain.  Most of the cars are significantly more hopped up than mine. I'm excited they have a beginners class. Lol. Check out this damn rig!

^that black car started as a yxz like mine

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/30/20 6:31 a.m.

After several hours of waiting, I got to do some laps during practice sessions.  It was pretty damn fun!  AWD slides around the corners in some slippery wet clay.  The car got caked with mud!  Haha!   Then it started raining again and rather than wait it out, I put her back on the trailer, it was nearing 9:45 at that point.  But they did eventually start racing, so I stayed to watch a few. It was exciting but I'm not sure w2w sxs racing is for me.  There was a fair bit of contact and broken buggies in the 30 mins I watched.  I don't have the budget to be constantly replacing parts on this thing.  Off to the Firm for rallyx!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/30/20 7:05 a.m.

That looks like to much fun! 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/30/20 2:19 p.m.

Halfway through my runs here at the Firm...and the verdict is the SXS is significantly more fun to rallyx than the Ranger was. And that's saying a lot!  The smaller size, nimbleness, grip - it makes for a more potent package and more fun. The timing system they're using is tough to follow but I'm up near the top currently.    

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/30/20 4:05 p.m.

Awesome to meet you today! I hope you end up with FTD!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/30/20 5:10 p.m.
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) said:

Awesome to meet you today! I hope you end up with FTD!

Very nice to meet you too Tucker!

From what I can gather by looking at the fast guys times individually, I got 2nd overall - behind the guy in the 200 Hp turbo sxs.  He's been racing his at motocross tracks!  These things are faster than the cars for sure.  Turbo sxs guy was running 3:05 stages while the fastest cars were around 3:22.  My best was a 3:16. I dropped 15 seconds between my first and last runs as I got more comfortable with it.  And here's a cool pic from the day:

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
6/1/20 11:21 a.m.

Oops. 3rd overall. The learning curve of driving a new vehicle is gone now though. Can't wait for the next one!

Also, just paid $56 for a South Dakota tag.  I'll be driving this thing in the upcoming FL Gambler 500!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7iSZ5Icevk3j8HfufE3tjEXtJCstSa1GPDECpYqHu85cLwkimEPEhA4sS2RuIaIz