1 2 3 4 5
Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
10/28/22 7:37 p.m.

Victory! Went and checked it out and needs a few minor things, hood latch needs two people, louuud exhaust and the dash lights half work. Bought it and just finished the hour drive home with no plates and I was a nervous wreck the whole ride home. More pics and further investigating tommorow 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/28/22 7:39 p.m.

In reply to Angryranger :

Cool.

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
10/29/22 11:44 a.m.

So few thing after checking it out today. Has an 8.8 open with 4.10 gears, actually has the 3.0 v6(I really need to ask more questions when buying stuff) Need to do some light rust work as per every New England truck and am gonna try to make my own center console cover as the one in there has seen its fair share of elbows 

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
10/30/22 12:56 p.m.

Did some small things today. Cleaned the mouse nest in the airbox, also took out a "tornado" hp booster. Re wired a speaker that was hanging loose and cleaned up all the extra wires from old auxiliary lights. So it has a cat delete and just a muffler that doesn't do much, any one have a suggestion for a quieter muffler?

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
10/30/22 1:27 p.m.

If you're ever in Southern Massachusetts, there is a junk yard in Carver that has a TON of old Explorers, we just pulled a disk brake limited slip rear out of one for the Nova.

Ferreira's Used Cars & Parts  30 West St, Carver, MA 02330

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
10/30/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to MuSTANK :

Might have to check that out one weekend, always trying to find junkyards around New England 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/30/22 1:38 p.m.
Angryranger said:

So it has a cat delete and just a muffler that doesn't do much, any one have a suggestion for a quieter muffler?

A generic turbo muffler should do the job while still sounding "fun".  Although I'd be lying if I didn't say that I try and put Hooker AeroChambers on everything I can.  (or I did. not sure if they still make them.)  If the turbo muffler is too drony, put a glasspack before it as that can absorb some of the more obnoxious noises from the system

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
10/30/22 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I think that's what I'm gonna try, my local parts store that I can get a discount in has thrush turbos for cheap. 

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
10/30/22 8:25 p.m.

Maybe I'm just searching the wrong thing but I cannot find floor pan replacements for this, only for the first gens. Guess I will have to try and make my own. So what thickness steel would be best for a floor pan?

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/1/22 5:57 p.m.

Got it registered and got my plates, driving it around and noticed the steering whines at full lock, will have to investigate 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/1/22 6:22 p.m.

It's a ford ranger, I think the whining at lock was a sales feature when new. 

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/1/22 6:41 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

That's what I hear, first time in 4 rangers I've heard it tho

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/1/22 6:51 p.m.
1SlowVW said:

It's a ford ranger, I think the whining at lock was a sales feature when new. 

+1 on this. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/1/22 7:52 p.m.
Angryranger said:

In reply to 1SlowVW :

The others must have been broken.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
11/2/22 7:29 a.m.
Angryranger said:

In reply to 1SlowVW :

The PS in my 96 whines at full lock too.  Maybe the pump changed on the Duratec Rangers?  

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/2/22 3:44 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

They must have,  most compaints seem to be the 3.0 and 4.0. Duratec seems to be quietest

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/4/22 4:02 p.m.

Out with the old in with the new, as they say. Kinda fixed the noise but still a leak, pretty sure it's this bunged up 2-1 collecter, ugh 

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/4/22 8:22 p.m.

Just crawled underneath and sprayed soapy water on all connections while running and didn't find anything, maybe it's just louder than I thought hmm. Hopefully I can find a 3 inch tailpipe to finish it off 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/4/22 9:10 p.m.

If you are looking for cheap mandrel bends for exhaust walker 45431 is the ticket. It's an oe replacement part but it's mandrel bent from walker and gives you 4 or 5 good bends to fab exhaust with. 

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/4/22 9:37 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

That does look decent , I was gonna dump it out before the wheel but if could send it out past that might be better, never tried making a v6 sound good before 

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/5/22 12:20 p.m.

Not gonna win any awards but I'm pleased with it, no leaks but i probably should put a hanger on it

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/5/22 8:34 p.m.

About to bite the bullet and order a floor pan for a square style ranger, seems with a little metal massaging it can fit. For as popular as these trucks are repair panels are few and far between 

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/10/22 8:45 p.m.

Okay little update and no pictures as per usual I forget. Floor pan ordered and on its way. Mechanic approved the exhaust just need to turn down the tip, he also noted I need tie rod ends but luckily they were included in the bed box. And now it's failure time, went to dump, pressed the parking brake and SNAP, ugh cable broke. Hopefully I remembered enough from tech class about drums so I can repair, it broke at the rear left, at least it's cheap. My temporary inspection ran out so off the road for a week or two while I work on it. Planning a power steering flush as it's getting louder, change plugs, oil change and some other basic maintenance. 

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/11/22 12:09 p.m.

Okay looking for help, all I did was replace the broken cable ( rear drivers side) and now my cable is saggy McGee. Did I mess something up? Rangers have no adjustment so maybe my cables stretched when it snapped. 

Angryranger
Angryranger New Reader
11/11/22 1:37 p.m.

Think I figured it out, missing a spring that's supposed to hold tension where the cable splits into two

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iCj9UbK3oEpXpBvMipj0IB6n8BfNGevm9fd3dQpNeErkEUaRnOmxdm4y89586Cwm