1 2 3 4 5
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/5/21 8:19 p.m.

Dropped off the car for media blasting this morning, I hope to have no surprises when I pick it up

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
10/5/21 8:21 p.m.

Excited to see how this goes.  I have a 69 vert pacecar that may come home shortly...

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
10/5/21 8:28 p.m.

So ....how soon after this process must one take the necessary steps to protect these unprotected surfaces? 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/5/21 8:32 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I really don't know and have been wondering that as well. It is now blasted and I pick it up tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to cover it in primer or weld-thru primer or what?

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
10/5/21 8:52 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

I really don't know and have been wondering that as well. It is now blasted and I pick it up tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to cover it in primer or weld-thru primer or what?

Shoot brah!!! I thought you had this all figured out. (wink) Hoping they'll tell you (or perhaps the hive) what the next steps are......late 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/5/21 9:07 p.m.

I sprayed my '61 Apache in Epoxy Primer as soon as it was blasted. 

I would grind back the primer for repairs that need welding.

You can put filler over properly prepped epoxy.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
10/6/21 4:07 a.m.
loosecannon said:

Another car with the Speedway Motors kit has won the Goodguys Auto-x event and Hot Rodding magazine did an article on it that looks very positive. I'm learning towards Speedway Motors kit because we have connections to them and they are located in Lincoln, Nebraska and we're there twice a year for racing

Can you actually get the Speedway Motors kit right now? I was casually looking at their Unser kit for Chevy II's and saw a random note on one of the pages that said it's currently unavailable because they can't get the steering rack for them at the moment. Maybe the Camaro kit uses a different rack, but I'd double check before you get too far along.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/6/21 5:41 a.m.

watching with great interest!  Let the good times roll. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
10/6/21 9:49 a.m.

I really hope I get a chance to see this thing in person at some point! I really need to start travelling around when I have time off... 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/6/21 10:40 a.m.

It is blasted. It's not too bad and I shouldn't have too much trouble welding in repairs. It's getting a coat of epoxy primer before I take it home

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
10/6/21 12:19 p.m.

Looks great.  What media did they use?  I know panel warp is always a concern with blasting.

Did they not blast the doors and roof?  Maybe it's just the contrast in the pic.

BTW, their yard looks like the world's biggest zen-garden!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/6/21 1:08 p.m.

You will have fun getting all of the sand out of the crevices, every time we worked on Gimpy's CP car for YEARS we would get sandcastles underneath from between panels. A lot of time with a shopvac and a long thin flexible hose as well as compressed air to blow it out may help a lot. 

JAdams
JAdams New Reader
10/6/21 1:29 p.m.

Looks great! I'm excited to watch this unfold.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/6/21 2:05 p.m.

Epoxy is the answer for freshly blasted metal. Do filler over epoxy scuffed with 80 grit, 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/6/21 4:00 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

Looks great.  What media did they use?  I know panel warp is always a concern with blasting.

Did they not blast the doors and roof?  Maybe it's just the contrast in the pic.

BTW, their yard looks like the world's biggest zen-garden!

They used silica sand (I'm guessing) and didn't do any large panels because of the danger of warping. I would have preferred soda blasting but the guy I bought the car from doesn't own a soda blasting business and the sandblasting was part of the purchase 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/12/21 9:04 p.m.

Update: the car was given a shot of primer and its now back in the home garage. All my projects have been built at Speedworld but this one is getting built at my home so I went to Costco and got a QuickJack. Rust repairs have begun 

TheWraith
TheWraith New Reader
10/16/21 10:31 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I will not be designing this one from scratch, like I did with the Pink Panther. This time, I am letting somebody else do all the work and I am just going to buy it. Here are the suspension systems I am considering: Ron Sutton Track Star or Total Cost Involved or Speedway Motors Front suspension and Speedway Motors rear suspension. Take a look at each of these and tell me which one you think is the best way to go.

We are doing a 69 Camaro at the moment, went with the Ridetech coilover kit with the 4 link. CoilOver System for 67-69 GM "F" Body (ridetech.com)

Well thought out, great instructions although not a perfect bolt in for the rear part, needed some hammer work on the rear floors for the bolt in subframe and we welded it in vs bolting it in. Them claim 275's all the way around without mods but 315 will fit rear with a mini tub no problem, we decided 275 was good enough.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/17/21 12:24 a.m.

In reply to TheWraith :

Ron Sutton made me a very good offer of sponsoring me and paying for my whole suspension to be shipped to him in California where he would update it and send back for a special deal, but he reuses the heavy K member and steering box and I didn't like that idea at all so I am going with the Speedway Motors G-Comp Unser edition front suspension and G-Comp torque arm rear suspension. The bonus for us is that we can pick up the suspension when we attend Nationals in Lincoln and not pay any shipping or duties. It also uses a full tube crossmember and rack and pinion steering and actually allows me to use the Penske shocks that I already own, which saves more thousands of dollars. I will be widening the car front and rear so I can run 335's out back and 315's in front, but may just run 315's all the way around if I can get the weight balance right.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/17/21 3:54 p.m.

The rusty passenger side floor has been fixed, it took 6 hours

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
10/17/21 5:54 p.m.

Floor repair ...where do you see it? .....I don't ......excellent as always maestro...carry onwink 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/17/21 8:56 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Floor repair ...where do you see it? .....I don't ......excellent as always maestro...carry onwink 

Thank you! I learned a lot from the Suburban project and am trying to get the Camaro to a higher level of fit and finish. If I do it well enough, the will be virtually zero filler needed.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/20/21 8:50 p.m.

Decided to take the plunge and build a rotisserie because I figured it would save a ton of time and effort

egoman
egoman Reader
10/20/21 10:24 p.m.

Sand pouring out as you rotate the car? 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
10/20/21 11:02 p.m.
egoman said:

Sand pouring out as you rotate the car? 

Yes, I wish I could post the video I took of spinning it because sand just pours out of it

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/20/21 11:17 p.m.

I bet if you rigged up some kind of slow rotating motor, and duct-taped a few jitterbig sanders on it and left it for a few days, most of the sand will be out.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pgC17tyGxeNNtZYSCGzGjjpVFB2LqB0dHKwPMdUyLULUEyD4hR41y9LmcizXYkK5