Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/13/18 9:20 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

thanks! just got home from cars and coffee. it was definitely well received. 

its low/mid forties outside and sunless. the drive, including interstate, wasnt bad. only my hands were cold. i felt colder and more in the wind standig at cars and coffee. 

EricM
EricM SuperDork
1/13/18 9:52 a.m.

In a way, it kind of looks like a front engined Stripped down Fiero....

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/14/18 4:46 p.m.

and the cletus version....

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
1/14/18 6:13 p.m.

Looks really great. Excellent craftsmanship!

klb67
klb67 Reader
1/14/18 6:26 p.m.

What about a bikini top in the event of inclement weather?  Or for shade?  Should be pretty straightforward.  This is a very cool project.  Well done.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/15/18 1:23 p.m.

thanks guys. currently the plan is aluminum sheet with angle ribs riveted together.... hood and roof. .. and dash.. working on the a partition for the electrical area now.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/15/18 3:42 p.m.

electrical partition... 0.04 aluminum sheet and some thin .75" angle. 

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
1/16/18 7:12 a.m.

From above your cow catcher looks like the bottom of a shield.

simon_C
simon_C Reader
1/17/18 7:23 p.m.

Nice! Passenger needs one of these 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/19/18 10:40 a.m.

In reply to simon_C :

yea, there is a distinct lack of things to hold on too for passengers. oh well.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/19/18 10:54 a.m.

so, i havent done much this week. my family members have been passing a 24hr stomach bug around and this week has been pretty much a total loss both at work and in the garage... 

however, i have looked at the alignment a bit. i had hoped to get to almost 4 deg negative camber up front based on what i have read on vette forums. that isnt the case for mine, i dont know if its unobserved accident damage or what, but i am only getting 3.2deg on RF and 2.2deg on LF. that is measured with a digital longacre wheel resting tripod.  so my original conops of having a shim set for autox to be at ~3.5deg and a shim set for ~1.5 deg on the street is not necessary. i am just going to set the RF to ~2.2deg and live with that till i come up with a way to get more camber... 

similarly, in the rear i am not getting the amount of neg camber i thought i would. its maxing out at 1.6deg on RR and 1.0deg on LR. 

i think for autox the lack of camber in the front and rear is gonna be a huge detriment that i wasnt expecting.. also, its gonna kill the outer tire edge. 

until i come up with a plan to attack camber (cutting out and rewelding upper control arm mounting points?) i will likely just take it and get a laser alignment done with each axle set to the max neg limiting camber and hopefully castor falls in okay. then set just a hair of toe in at the rear and 0 or slight toe out up front and be done. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
1/19/18 11:36 a.m.

Needs moar t-bucket bed above diff.

simon_C
simon_C Reader
1/19/18 12:03 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Oh yeah, a little tinbox bed would be great for carrying tools and tires to events. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/19/18 12:22 p.m.

yep, a 'truck bed' is planned. i have enough aluminum sheet and 1/2 square tube to do a simple one. its last on the priority list though since i dont plan to change tires at events this year.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/19/18 12:29 p.m.

Have you driven it enough to get feedback on the ceramic spheres yet? I'm almost to that point with my project and it's about time for me to E36 M3 or get off the pot.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/19/18 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

i did think about while i was driving it saturday. however, it was ~40degs outside so, not the greatest data point. the trans tunnel was barely warm after driving for ~30 minutes. so maybe... really hard to say. i will say for sure that it took many days to really dry. since you will be in a car presumably w/o ac and way less air flow than i get you may be better off spending more money on real lizard skin or alike. for me the risk def makes since... sorry that aint much help, i dont think i will know for sure till its nice outside.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/19/18 2:29 p.m.

Fair enough!

And the risk sounds worth it to me. Seems like when i had a bare floor c4, the trans tunnel was too hot to touch after a couple of laps when it was snowing. Again, not a good data point....

What the hell. Im going to try it!

simon_C
simon_C Reader
1/19/18 3:31 p.m.

I think you could use a little engine dress up.... 

Perhaps a high rise intake manifold? If for no other reason than it would look awesome on the front of that thing 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-LS3-6-0L-6-2L-Fabricated-Aluminum-Ram-Air-EFI-Intake-Manifold-Polished/291623429792?hash=item43e61c66a0:g:4P8AAOSwP4FaCSn9&vxp=mtr

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
1/20/18 11:01 a.m.

I wonder what this would look like with fenders like on a Lotus 7. Have to imagine wet roads are a huge pain for visibility.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/20/18 2:41 p.m.

In reply to simon_C :

at some point when i have some extra money... absolutely, i have loved that type since they came out for LS. it would look great on my setup and make the intake easier to deal with for sure!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/20/18 2:42 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

i think fenders will be a must at some point... i only have about 1 mile on wet raods and the rears were more offensive than the fronts for sure. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/20/18 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

i think i started off with too conservative of a ratio. i think nearly 1 to 1 by volume is where i would start when i do it again! 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/20/18 2:46 p.m.

i cut a slot in the center section out of nr1 kids booster seat, perfect fitment! 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/20/18 2:48 p.m.

warning. some graphic TIG weld content pics. look away if you must...

^thats an underside! 

again, anyone in NE FLA needing welding drop me a message and i will send you Bucks contact info!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/20/18 3:14 p.m.

1:1 by volume.  Got it.

And you got glass microsperes, or ceramic?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ud0TJ39ykly7fZGA1l1P8dVFR9s3Z0ZAlJ0QehtuAp9HBLLWON3asGEPSHDigLqC