759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/20/18 7:44 p.m.

"warning. some graphic TIG weld content pics. look away if you must..."

that just ain't right bro....but  holy cow what excellent work!!!!!!

Any more Riley videos in her 'cheap sunglasses' screamin'  Again again again????

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
1/20/18 9:02 p.m.

cheekyIn reply to 759NRNG :

I reaaalllly wish GRM hosted images. I’d post pictures of my stainless welds and make you all drool. As it is, I have to upload to Flickr, then go find a desktop, and jump through all the hoops to post a photo...

That is why my beautiful welds all stay on my phone...

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/21/18 10:17 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

it says they are glass and quartz:

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/item/aircraft-fillers/micro-balloons/b23-500--g

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/21/18 10:19 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

yea, Buck has got skills!

Ry got to go for a ride outside the neighborhood yesterday. She is definitely a big fan. more video when it warms up a bit! 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/21/18 1:56 p.m.

just got the 'dash' in. its super lite, but i am a little worried about noise. i think its going to have to come back out, looks like there might be some gaps between the angle and sheet that the rivets didnt close up.. will see when i drive it if it rattles..

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/23/18 3:23 p.m.

worked on a couple heat shields mounted between the mufflers and the ABS controller (which i have read is made of glass).

looking down at the rear 

looking up from the bottom

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/23/18 5:45 p.m.

Is there any header wrap material on those Hshield surfaces adjacent to ABS controller being considered?

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/24/18 6:22 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

not as of now..... when i remember to, i want to feel how warm the ABS is getting. figure its always been located by the exhaust, but the stock muffler location was much further away... 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/24/18 6:55 a.m.

first drive into work this morning!!!

~42 degrees out at 0545 this morning.  felt great, temp was bad at all. headlights are actually VERY GOOD ( esp for $100/pair). 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/24/18 11:13 a.m.

How many times has security driven by wondering what the!?!?!?!!!!???? Goggles with a baclava.....or the full face?? wink

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/24/18 11:20 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

i have seen more than a few curious folks stop and give it a glance. 

today i figured i would try manning up and just going with a beanie cap and gloves, no full face helmet today! it really wasnt bad. i should buy gloves from somewhere other than homedepot though.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/26/18 6:07 a.m.

I went ahead and got the car aligned with modern technology last night. Since I am not getting the magnitude of negative camber I thought I would be able to there is really no reason to have two shim sets as previously planned; one for a street alignment and another for autocross alignment.

We set front and rear to max camber first. Setting the wheel on each axle with the most camber to the wheel with the least camber at max adjustment. Was able to get -2.8deg F and -1.0deg R.  Front came at the cost of some caster, stock is 6.5deg, we had to back mine down to 5.5deg to get from -2.3 to -2.8 on the drivers front wheel.

Each rear wheel is toed in 0.05deg and the front wheels are set to 0.0deg.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/26/18 10:46 a.m.

Gloves........Motorcycle(winter) or snowmobile should do the trick.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/28/18 4:58 p.m.

the beginnings of a hood like piece. gonna build an aluminum frame, then put the 0.040 al sheet on. bent down to meet the top of the radiator. secure it along the window frame and a couple points along each side with 1/2" steel tube brackets.

java230
java230 SuperDork
1/29/18 3:55 p.m.

Thank to you Copart now has a C5 vette search for me....

This showed up in it, do I spy a blower? :D

simon_C
simon_C Reader
1/30/18 2:18 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

perfect donor!

even if it's blown, LS short blocks are really cheap and the rest is there. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/30/18 5:51 a.m.

dats nice. only trouble is C5 Z06's have aluminum frames. so if the frame is bent, good luck.  

klipless
klipless Reader
1/30/18 9:47 a.m.
Go_Gators said:

dats nice. only trouble is C5 Z06's have aluminum frames. so if the frame is bent, good luck.  

I thought C5 Z06's were steel frames. The C6 base was steel as well, but the C6 Z06 and ZR1 were aluminum frame (and mag cradles IIRC).

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/30/18 9:57 a.m.

In reply to klipless :

i think you might be right. i reckon i could have expanded my search, though they are typically much more in demand.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
1/30/18 10:59 a.m.

My c5z had a steel frame, the z06 didn't switch to aluminum until the c6 generation.

Bicks8972
Bicks8972
1/30/18 10:09 p.m.

What are you doing for anti theft? Are you running the stock key? Currently in the process of building a kart similar but with a different donor car. I am rewiring the whole car and going with a race style switch pannel. Anyone have any ideas? 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
1/31/18 5:43 a.m.

In reply to Bicks8972 :

yea, i am running the stock key and ign switch, q/r steering wheel and i also have a removable battery cutout switch/key.

there are probably solutions out there, but i dont know of any in your scenario that would give me a lot of piece of mind leaving it out somewhere....

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
1/31/18 10:14 a.m.
Bicks8972 said:

What are you doing for anti theft? Are you running the stock key? Currently in the process of building a kart similar but with a different donor car. I am rewiring the whole car and going with a race style switch pannel. Anyone have any ideas? 

Master cut off switch with removable key?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
1/31/18 12:27 p.m.

Take the coil wire with you as a keychain for your master kill switch key.

Or just rig up a hidden kill switch.

Honestly if it's a manual transmission 90% of would be thieves couldn't drive it off if they wanted to.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/31/18 12:53 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

Take the coil wire with you as a keychain for your master kill switch key.

Or just rig up a hidden kill switch.

Honestly if it's a manual transmission 90% of would be thieves couldn't drive it off if they wanted to.

The coil wire? Which one?! laugh

battery disconnect is easy enough. You just want to slow a thief down. Anyone that wants it badly enough will get it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3JuzvZ1nLIooyxtwpMGZRMwj5nVM3SCwoBKkcTmLUSJfDl4Hn2Io56iOzgHUcbte