Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
2/28/18 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators :

So, do you think it was better.  or do you need a bigger front bar with stock rear?

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
2/28/18 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

oh, without is better. i think springs/bars/shocks are not hindering rear grip (right now) as much as rear tires decambering and lack of rear weight (actual lbs and aero).

there are pictures of the outside rear tire at positive camber and by a fair amount ~2deg. i cannot find any easy ways to get more rear camber out of the C5 chassis, short of cutting off and moving A-arm attach points. 

i am moving forward on the wing to help address the weight. this summer, move the radiator to under the wing...

then, relook at springs/bars/shcoks.... atleast thats what i am thinking today.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
2/28/18 11:07 a.m.

came accross these just now. offset A-arm bushings to get in the -4 range up from and -3 range in the rear. NOT CHEAP though...  

borg motorsport offset bushings

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled New Reader
2/28/18 11:45 a.m.

surprise HOLY E36 M3!  $1200 and that's just for the bushings?  You have to install into the arms yourself?  Wow, wonder how big that market is?

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
2/28/18 12:26 p.m.

I have enough delrin/steel on the shelf to make a couple grand worth of bushings...

My initial thought when I saw the price was that they were selling the entire a-arm set.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
2/28/18 12:46 p.m.

yea, i was pretty shocked by the price (evening coming from being used to BMW parts pricing).... 

its just the bushings for the upper and lower arms...

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/1/18 9:38 a.m.

onward with the wing... the legs/uprights are welded. will grind flush the welds between the bars and tubes then paint today.

going to start laying out the framework for the wings today/tomorrow. in hopes of getting them to Buck to tig-weld this weekend. then skin them in .040 sheet, rivet and install atleast the near vertical one before hitting the road course at FIRM, our next autocross the 11th.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
3/1/18 10:28 a.m.

Can we request something obnoxious be painted on the wing? Mudflap girl maybe or something that says "This is where your mom sits"

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
3/1/18 10:50 a.m.
barefootskater said:

Can we request something obnoxious be painted on the wing? Mudflap girl maybe or something that says "This is where your mom sits"

Glue one of these to the element.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/1/18 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Gimp :

if you both really meant leave it a natural brushed aluminum finish to contrast against the flat black cage, then you are correct!!

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
3/1/18 3:03 p.m.
Go_Gators said:

In reply to Gimp :

if you both really meant leave it a natural brushed aluminum finish to contrast against the flat black cage, then you are correct!!

Sure... that works too...

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/2/18 5:15 a.m.

wing fab in full swing...

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
3/2/18 12:18 p.m.

I'm not well versed in bushings.. but from the photo alone, I wonder what prevents "offset bushings" from twisting in the arm. Potentially making them worse than "centered" bushings.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled New Reader
3/2/18 1:02 p.m.

It looks like you modify the arm to put a set screw in to keep the bushing from rotating.  Unless that set screw actually fits into a hole in the bushing, I think I'd still be nervous about the bushing rotating during spirited driving.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/2/18 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

yea, not sure. agree, i bet there is a pilot hole or something to seat the set screw.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/2/18 5:53 p.m.

my dad sent me this. its on craigslist near him. Goes without saying its in FLA. BBC 454.

i dont hate it.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/2/18 5:54 p.m.

turned the wing frames over to my buddy to tig!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/3/18 1:16 p.m.

first official car show in the kart. comically made top 10 in modern and i am pretty sure there were more than 10 cars in the modern grouping! lol.

even more comically, i won a door prize. some sort of fancy wax. 

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/3/18 9:15 p.m.

You can wax the wing! laugh

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/4/18 3:54 p.m.

brackets affixed for mounting the wings. upper one is the back stop for the upper, near vertical wing. lower, more horizontal bracket will be for mounting the lower wing.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/5/18 6:04 a.m.

Buck wrapping up tig-ing the larger wing frame. smaller one (in foreground) is next.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/5/18 10:12 a.m.

With the popularity of Exocars the past couple of years it would be pretty cool to have a gathering of them at some Motorplex. 

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader

With the popularity of Exocars the past couple of years it would be pretty cool to have a gathering of them at some Motorplex. 

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
3/5/18 12:38 p.m.
barefootskater said:

THe proper instagram thing to do is

#sendnudes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XiarkDnrH6AKu3XVioWusGXQ0PISLVEHNUYsasWsJ6sbI9TkDoNKumNFrbDi8f5R