Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/5/18 5:26 p.m.

Buck's done with the frame. i hope to skin the little one tonight!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/7/18 5:33 a.m.

little one is done-ish:

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/8/18 5:36 a.m.

the rest...

i wont get the side plates on for this weekend, but i have the materials.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/8/18 5:45 a.m.

I think you are going to need a large front splitter to balance all that wing out man...

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/8/18 7:06 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel :

certainly visually a front splitter or wing would help aesthetics. front grip is helped by being capable of nearly 3 deg of camber... maybe once the radiator is rear mounted...

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
3/8/18 8:37 a.m.

Looks pretty mean in full attack mode.  Interested to see your driving impressions.

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/8/18 9:24 a.m.

Yeah That will be something at freeway speeds I think. Very interested to see what you think.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/8/18 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators :

aS BIG AS your wing is (and the high angle of attack), you are adding quite few pounds of force on the rear wheels. This will shift weight off of the front tires as well since it'll compress the rear suspension. 

so at speed you'll probably feel your steering wheel get light.

Not an issue for autocross, but I bet the first time you take a highway off ramp at 60 mph it's going to feel very weird.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/8/18 9:45 a.m.

certainly a possibility.. i wont get it done this week, but i plan to make struts to hold up the near vertical wing at a more conventional wing angle for street driving. i plan to drive it at speed today for the first time with it on.... MTF!

cj32769
cj32769 New Reader
3/8/18 10:15 a.m.

Maybe enable DRS? 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/8/18 12:48 p.m.

In reply to cj32769 :

anybody who wants to attempt that engineering feat is welcome to use my platform as a test bed! 

nuts and bolts are hard enough for me.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/9/18 6:03 a.m.

here are a couple better pictures. getting the side plates on it should help the visual...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/9/18 6:36 a.m.

That is absurd and I love it. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
3/9/18 7:44 a.m.

WOW....that's a pretty steep angle of attack.surprise

Is rake adjustable? 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/9/18 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

yea, adjustable. most vertical position currently.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/9/18 7:03 p.m.

my buddy Buck (welded the roll cage) came by and helped make a couple sets of struts for the wing. we also finished up the roof panel. Pictured is the wing at the least aggressive setting.

pretty happy with that.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/10/18 6:30 p.m.

packed and ready to head south for Starke FL tomorrow morning. autocross on FIRM's road course. hope to not bring any dirt back in the afternoon!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/11/18 9:14 a.m.

When you get back would it be possible to get a picture of balancer to steering rack clearance and a measurement of same?

subrew
subrew Reader
3/11/18 7:08 p.m.

That rear "wing" is astonishingly bad.  laugh  It isn't a wing, just two flaps with flat surfaces set at terrible angles.  

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/12/18 11:01 a.m.
Patrick said:

When you get back would it be possible to get a picture of balancer to steering rack clearance and a measurement of same?

i should be able to do that today!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/12/18 11:07 a.m.
subrew said:

That rear "wing" is astonishingly bad.  laugh  It isn't a wing, just two flaps with flat surfaces set at terrible angles.  

LOL. i didnt stick around for the extra 12-15 credit hours needed to pick up an aeronautical engineering degree ontop my mechanical engineering degree - my bad.

will say this. with the wing set like it is in the picture by the water i can go full throttle in 2nd gear from a 45-50mph roll and the tires now HOOK. whereas, without the two flaps with flat surfaces the rears would break loose before getting to ~3/4 throttle. 

furthermore... with the primary wing set at 20deg, my times (only completed 3 runs) were much more favorable when compared to others this weekend than they had been in previous two events. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
3/12/18 11:14 a.m.

Regarding event 3..... not a great day. the car felt much better, the rear isnt  as loose at corner entry (surface at FIRM is definitely better than the runway i typically run on) with the wing set to 20deg.  However, i was reminded on the third run that HP always overcomes street tires. Coming out of a slalom at finish i applied throttle, it upset the rear and i plowed through the finish timing equipment. was somewhat fortunate to only break a tripod, cable and my windshield.  had to drive home ~50 miles with a taped up windshield on the passenger side. 

yes, i have it on in car video. yes, someone filmed it from nearby. lovely.  will get around to editing it later...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/12/18 11:57 a.m.

Things happen fast in fast cars. This is how we learn. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
3/12/18 12:55 p.m.
Go_Gators said:
LOL. i didnt stick around for the extra 12-15 credit hours needed to pick up an aeronautical engineering degree ontop my mechanical engineering degree - my bad.

BSME For the win!!!! 

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/12/18 1:55 p.m.

I saw subrew  put a smiley face next to the comment but if he was serious maybe he should try to carry a sheet of plywood on a windy day!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SCB5ce5kd4uVr4tgmOpi4o1n9EMqf2ARpqtYPEglKYDmcCwHCFHmdVGnN5gD5rae