11/14/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Damn, you got my hopes up! 

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/15/22 7:09 a.m.
golfduke said:

BUMP for updates! 

Ha! wish there was one... Karts been at the shop for a week now. No word from them.. I dont want to bug the shop yet, last thursday most businesses out at the beach were closed for the lil-tropical-storm-thing and friday was veterans day... so, really, they have only had it a couple days... 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/15/22 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for sharing this, there's a lot of us following this thread. 
Hoping for good news...

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/15/22 4:27 p.m.

patience grasshopper.......fingers crossed

12/7/22 1:21 p.m.

Well.... the kart is still sitting on the frame straightening machine at the body shop awaiting their attempt to save it.  Obviously, i am kinda stuck, bc i dont want them to give up on it....... But, given there is a only a chance of it pulling straight... i have been on the look out for option B. 

Option B presented itself on FB marketplace yesterday. 

A FREE C5 carcass. FREE, as in zero dollars, dude wouldnt even accept $20 for helping me load it.  And it was only ~10 minutes away!

Plus! Its only been in one fire and no accidents!

what a deal. He is keeping the drivetrain for what should be a very cool third gen camaro swap!

So, needless to say. using part or all of this frame is option B. Getting down to the frame is going to suck. Transferring absolutely every non-frame component from the kart... is going to suck. So, i still have to give the body shop due time. 

Since this could be sitting at the end of my driveway for quite some time... i had to take evasive action to keep the HOA guessing for a while... 

The delicate removal from the trailer was captured by my 6 year old videographer. Will get around to putting that video together at some point... 

12/7/22 1:24 p.m.

Thanks for the update! We are all rooting for you! Good to know there's a Plan B.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
12/7/22 1:45 p.m.
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) said:

Well.... the kart is still sitting on the frame straightening machine at the body shop awaiting their attempt to save it.  Obviously, i am kinda stuck, bc i dont want them to give up on it....... But, given there is a only a chance of it pulling straight... i have been on the look out for option B. 

Option B presented itself on FB marketplace yesterday. 

A FREE C5 carcass. FREE, as in zero dollars, dude wouldnt even accept $20 for helping me load it.  And it was only ~10 minutes away!

Plus! Its only been in one fire and no accidents!

what a deal. He is keeping the drivetrain for what should be a very cool third gen camaro swap!

So, needless to say. using part or all of this frame is option B. Getting down to the frame is going to suck. Transferring absolutely every non-frame component from the kart... is going to suck. So, i still have to give the body shop due time. 

Since this could be sitting at the end of my driveway for quite some time... i had to take evasive action to keep the HOA guessing for a while... 

The delicate removal from the trailer was captured by my 6 year old videographer. Will get around to putting that video together at some point... 

That is great news! And hopefully the HOA doesn't pick up on it. I also like the surreptitious wheel covering for the trailer! :D

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/7/22 2:10 p.m.

That's funny as hell as that's the one I referred to earlier. Right across from the Popeyes on University. He keep the transmission?

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
12/7/22 2:15 p.m.

You could buy a cheap car cover for a bit more camouflage. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/7/22 2:33 p.m.

So glad to see some progress!

if you use this donor car, how could you remove the rust on the frame?

12/8/22 6:43 a.m.
CAinCA said:

You could buy a cheap car cover for a bit more camouflage. 

Yea, i suspect that will happen at some point, esp if this becomes Plan A... 

12/8/22 6:44 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

So glad to see some progress!

if you use this donor car, how could you remove the rust on the frame?

After i trim the front (~18"), there really inst too much to try and preserve... probably orbital sand and sand blast (i only have the sm handheld gun) the tight areas.... 

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick New Reader
12/8/22 9:58 a.m.

If you get the frame straightened successfully, I would be interested in the carcass you just dragged home.  I'm in Jax, talked to you a bit at the Challenge.

12/8/22 12:52 p.m.
Kendall Frederick said:

If you get the frame straightened successfully, I would be interested in the carcass you just dragged home.  I'm in Jax, talked to you a bit at the Challenge.

Noted!  If i dont need, i will be highly interested in getting the carcass out of my driveway!

12/8/22 12:53 p.m.
Stampie said:

That's funny as hell as that's the one I referred to earlier. Right across from the Popeyes on University. He keep the transmission?

pah! yep, he is going to use the entire driveline. 

12/12/22 8:06 a.m.

well... got a call from the body shop saturday, ironically, i was removed charred debris from the C5 carcass when my phone rang.

they had started tugging on the frame and have determined they cant go any further with the engine in place... 

thats not terribly shocking given the magnitude of the carnage. 

we agreed i would come out this week to discuss. obviously, paying them to remove the driveline is not an option i am willing to fiscally support. 

i could certainly pull the entire driveline, put the cradles and suspension back on and trailer it back to them. figure, sometime in january... 

or...

this could be the point where i abandon the old frame. i think it comes down to the shops certaintity that they can fair the frame (with the engine out of the way) for the ~$1500 max budget we kinda set. 

i am going to have to lean on thier recommendation. however, my gut tells me to take back control of its destiny and start the process of frame swapping..... 

thoughts?

bumpsteer
bumpsteer New Reader
12/12/22 8:47 a.m.

If they can actually get it right, I'd say flip a coin. There's up- and downsides to either option.

Fix original: Don't have to do all the frame modifications again, don't have to completely rebuild a car, but who knows if it'll really be right again. Plus you're out $1500.

New chassis: It's straight, but you'll have redo all the work. On the up-side, if there was anything you did the last time you weren't totally happy with, now you can do it better this time. Plus it won't have to sit in bodyshop purgatory. You also get a small number of spare parts this way too.

12/12/22 8:59 a.m.
bumpsteer said:

If they can actually get it right, I'd say flip a coin. There's up- and downsides to either option.

Fix original: Don't have to do all the frame modifications again, don't have to completely rebuild a car, but who knows if it'll really be right again. Plus you're out $1500.

New chassis: It's straight, but you'll have redo all the work. On the up-side, if there was anything you did the last time you weren't totally happy with, now you can do it better this time. Plus it won't have to sit in bodyshop purgatory. You also get a small number of spare parts this way too.

you have absolutely surmised my thoughts exactly... and, yea, there is a short of changes i would make if version 2.0 happens.

12/12/22 9:05 a.m.

As long as they can actually get it right, there's no wrong choice. It's the "getting it right" part...

If you go that route, hopefully it would be an easier build the second time around.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
12/12/22 9:45 a.m.

Is there any concern that the fire has affected the integrity of the frame?

12/12/22 10:48 a.m.
AxeHealey said:

it may be naive, but in my mind minimal risk of that. there is only a bit of Aluminum meltage, none near the frame, so i dont think it got super hot. 

It appears it just burned long enough and hot enough to melt fiberglass, wire jackets, all the rubber and plastic bits. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
12/12/22 10:58 a.m.
AxeHealey said:

it may be naive, but in my mind minimal risk of that. there is only a bit of Aluminum meltage, none near the frame, so i dont think it got super hot. 

It appears it just burned long enough and hot enough to melt fiberglass, wire jackets, all the rubber and plastic bits. 

Check the melting temperature of Aluminum, and then compare that to the temperatures used for heat treating metal.   

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/12/22 11:03 a.m.

I am with the group that knows you could do some stuff different if given the chance.

So, much like divorces are spendy and emotionally taxing, some are well worth the price.

Pete

12/12/22 1:06 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:
AxeHealey said:

Check the melting temperature of Aluminum, and then compare that to the temperatures used for heat treating metal.   

yea, now that i think about, probably a better data point is the area that is burnt the most and close to the frame was the fuse block and battery. the lead plates of the battery were all that was left of it, but they were NOT melted... internet-ing suggests that means sub-600deg. 

12/12/22 1:10 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I am with the group that knows you could do some stuff different if given the chance.

So, much like divorces are spendy and emotionally taxing, some are well worth the price.

Pete

I can see that more literally than i would prefer. thanks Pete. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j9WaEUiGYOsa77Vhq92ExPgiaP31JXYfvkpymcU6eXJn7gYUXNSUOYQmFg5RzKeL