Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
3/27/23 9:56 a.m.

Nice!  I love that straight-on pic.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/27/23 2:46 p.m.

After witnessing the Gainesville wall, this is so refreshing. Set up really does look as good as it can get too. Now learn to threshold brake! 

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/28/23 10:17 a.m.

Appreciate it guys.

3/28/23 10:19 a.m.

I dont usually take a close look at speed data from autox runs (i find its a more useful plot on track day lap), but since i had my (very) cautious dad's data to compare i figure i would compile it. Ignore the placement on the horz axis, its time indexed not distance...

From riding with him i was happy with his speeds through the road course turns but told him (over and over again) there was a bit more speed to be carried through the autox elements.... just a bit...

Regarding my data... very pleased with the slope of the accel and decel and dont see any areas where i was overly hesistant to get throttle or brake (no plateus or gradual valleys)...

(using track addict app)

grifkar
grifkar
3/29/23 2:27 p.m.

Long time listener, first time caller here. I have been watching this forum like a hawk since its inception.

In October of last year I picked up this FBO 1999 M6 C5 to do the same with it. Still in roll cage activites right now :) I regularly post on my Instagram account @Grifka_Garage

This one makes a little bit shy of 400whp with its current setup. Not going to worry about adding more power until I can get this thing really dialed in. 

Probably going to pull the dash soon and put all the electronics inside like you did as well. Not going to hijack this thread, just thought I would say hi from one LS1 Kart to another!

3/30/23 9:37 a.m.

In reply to grifkar :

Appreciate it.  Youre going to enjoy it. Looks like space and close neighbors is not an issue for you! 

3/30/23 9:41 a.m.

Put together a video of my dad and my best runs from Saturday. 

youtube link

As you can see from my effort (or lack thereof), its back to handling phenomenally! i wasnt trying to chase the tail at all, it put the power down comfortably. Now its time for me to try to push it harder! 

3/31/23 2:55 p.m.

Now that i am not in crunch mode just to get the beast back on the track.... i am attacking a fun project that i have wanted to try for awhile. i put splitter 4.0 together anticipating this addition...

Starting with a CAD model. 

Its not pictured, but i am fitting a leftover piece of rear fender from the burnt car inboard of this element. using the top section of the fender it have a nice curvature to it.  

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/31/23 3:25 p.m.

Why a splitter and not a front wing?

I don't pretend to know much about these things, but I'm wondering if a splitter is as effective as it would be on a "bodied" car (slowing air over top the splitter while speeding up under).

4/3/23 8:11 a.m.
Gimp (Forum Supporter) said:

Why a splitter and not a front wing?

I don't pretend to know much about these things, but I'm wondering if a splitter is as effective as it would be on a "bodied" car (slowing air over top the splitter while speeding up under).

No expert here either...  But, in my mind, it kinda does both. It minimizes air flow under the car and it is mounted with some slope to it, esp at higher speeds when the cables that act as springs tighten up..  Having driven with and without over the years, it definitely does improve the handling at both autox and on track.. 

Got the 'less temporary that cardboard' versions knocked out over the weekend... 

We shall see...

4/5/23 7:24 a.m.

Drove the ole kart into work today... 

Splitter got its first test.  Decent sized, previously killed, pile of possum.  Made quite the thud. Cant wait to see what that spray pattern looks like in the daylight....

Pulled up to the first gate at work and the guard instead of waving me in sans-communication leans over and says can i take a picture of your car?  I wasnt going to deny that, so with a line of cars behind me, in the pitch black he steps in front of the kart and snaps a photo... 

All before 0600... Gonna be a good day... 

4/18/23 6:45 a.m.

E3 was sunday.  Kart felt really good, however the course wasnt well suited to its and my strengths.. It was a tight, darty course design that required very quick lateral transitions that my stock Z51/Z06 suspension is just too soft for. 

I was 5th raw time overall, almost exactly 1 second behind FTD set by the R1 powered Locost pictured beside me. There were 2 Caymans and a Camaro crammed into the 1 second between us, all of which are club regulars who i had bested at the FIRM at E2!

-photo by CG Drones

Tyjb20
Tyjb20
4/18/23 6:54 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

Awesome builds, I've been following for a couple years. Finally pulled the trigger on a 2007 C6 Convertible LS2 6 speed. 
I'm hoping you can help me with a question. I want to register and title soon. 
How did you pass physical inspection with what appeared to be no headlights or side lamps? I'm in WI and trying to do the min to pass before I tear down. Right now I have no front end, I have headlights I can mount and believe I need something that resembles a fenders and maybe side reflectors to pass.

Tyjb20
Tyjb20 New Reader
4/18/23 7:18 a.m.

In reply to grifkar : Just followed your insta I'm doing a LS2 C6 tear down now @tys_speed_shop. Great small community so far. Trying to get new title and registration before tearing it apart 

4/18/23 8:12 a.m.
Tyjb20 said:

Awesome builds, I've been following for a couple years. Finally pulled the trigger on a 2007 C6 Convertible LS2 6 speed. 
I'm hoping you can help me with a question. I want to register and title soon. 
How did you pass physical inspection with what appeared to be no headlights or side lamps? I'm in WI and trying to do the min to pass before I tear down. Right now I have no front end, I have headlights I can mount and believe I need something that resembles a fenders and maybe side reflectors to pass.

Nice! what youre describing is exactly what i did. i didnt have a nose piece either. i mounted trailer lights for turn signals, my headlights were still functional at the time and my fenders i was able to stabalize with zipties and alike..  

that was sufficient for the state of florida... i told them at teh time i was going to modify it further, but since i had minimum equipment they were willing to give me a rebuild title.. 

Tyjb20
Tyjb20 New Reader
4/18/23 12:03 p.m.

Thanks for the insight! Just got off the phone with the state trooper who does inspections, he says I need fenders to pass. Side marker lights are an infraction of sorts but he'll let me slide without them. Then I'm good to go. Thanks again 

InvisibleFrisbee
InvisibleFrisbee New Reader
4/18/23 4:20 p.m.
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) said:

E3 was sunday.  Kart felt really good, however the course wasnt well suited to its and my strengths.. It was a tight, darty course design that required very quick lateral transitions that my stock Z51/Z06 suspension is just too soft for. 

I was 5th raw time overall, almost exactly 1 second behind FTD set by the R1 powered Locost pictured beside me. There were 2 Caymans and a Camaro crammed into the 1 second between us, all of which are club regulars who i had bested at the FIRM at E2!

-photo by CG Drones

What is the cardboard hood ratchet strapped down for?

4/19/23 6:47 a.m.

In reply to InvisibleFrisbee :

Its actually aluminum, i throw it on when the weather is going to be unpredictable.  it was forecast to rain a bit, which it did while we were setting up.... 

4/28/23 6:45 a.m.

Myself and a co-driver ran with CFR on the Daytona kart track this past sunday. 

Pretty dismal finish. Though i feel the kart sticks well in the long-ih turns, coming out of the slow turns is not its strong suite. Looking at the data, corner exits were mostly in the 2500rpm range, way out of the happy zone.  We placed 18th and 20th overall raw time of ~130 drivers. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/28/23 7:04 a.m.

Don't give up on the kart track until you try running in the other direction. You wouldn't think that it would be that different but it certainly is for me. 

I've won in E Street twice in a row running clockwise, but struggle with the reversed direction both times, finishing second out of two and fourth out of six the next day. 

4/28/23 12:51 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Don't give up on the kart track until you try running in the other direction. You wouldn't think that it would be that different but it certainly is for me. 

I've won in E Street twice in a row running clockwise, but struggle with the reversed direction both times, finishing second out of two and fourth out of six the next day. 

Great to see you as always!  Yea, one of these years i will. Saturdays (running the traditional direction) are just tougher to on the home-front... 

5/1/23 6:59 a.m.

Wasnt the finish we hoped for... but a ton of fun nonetheless. Buck and I took the ole vette-kart down to Daytona last weekend. We never could quite find the pace to be competitive for the overall. We placed 18th and 20th of the 130 driver field, but, we were only ~1.5sec back of the winner/FTD. As you will on the video comparison, it was super tight between Buck and I. I edged him out by only 0.09sec!

youtube link

5/3/23 7:04 a.m.

I am finally getting around to revising the rear wing/splitter, again. 

As proved in the delta between E1 (not installed) and E2 (installed) at FIRM this year, the current version is definitely functional. Thou it surely isnt efficient,  nor pleasing to the eye. 

So, i am going to re use much of the current structure but 'copy' element profiles that some college kids have designed, tested and found to be optimized. FSAE formula wing design was the google search. They are hte most comparable, well documented, well tested population of wings for autocross type speeds that i know of. 

i have settled on this set of element profiles and arrangement. i am going to make them all rotate-able. Think that is especially necessary for the two smaller, more vertical elements when street driving, track days (anticipated 100mph + speeds) and towing...

Using some very crude image printing techniques, i have printed (on paper) elements sized to fill up my existing side plates. 

I started fabrication on the middle element. The aluminum frame is remnants of the previous iteration. I used the paper templates to cut the wood ribs. 

I reused the old skin, hand forming it over tube and screwed it to the ribs, using aluminum wood screws. It came out surprisingly nice (no pic at the moment). 

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
5/3/23 7:07 a.m.

nice, keep going. You will eventually want to make some gage blocks to set the gaps between the elements after you get done towing, to make sure you are getting the right wing setup.

5/4/23 6:44 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

nice, keep going. You will eventually want to make some gage blocks to set the gaps between the elements after you get done towing, to make sure you are getting the right wing setup.

appreciate it. yea, not sure exactly how i will lock them down yet, but having the aluminum tube/sq tube leaves a lot of mounting options...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d1eBsz8RrjsPlZtboU2OqLac5FwWQiyH2Xh7k4BbAq67V2lAOoTDu1VynSBC4Bir