1 2
Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/2/18 1:48 p.m.

oh, the cats. Get underneath and cut the cats out. I bet you can recycle the cats for $150-200 if they are original (which I bet they are).

Then sell the shell to the junkyard for free wheels.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
11/2/18 2:14 p.m.

If it were mine I would fall madly and temporarily in love with it, spend time and money to get it running (keep the wheels for your car), then sell it at a relative loss. 

But that's kind of my relationship with cars, and I'm not upset about it in the least. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/2/18 3:42 p.m.
Robbie said:

oh, the cats. Get underneath and cut the cats out. I bet you can recycle the cats for $150-200 if they are original (which I bet they are).

Then sell the shell to the junkyard for free wheels.

Thanks for that tip, but last time I Sold those guys one of my junkers, they specifically sskas if the vats were still on it, so I'm sure they would use that excuse to lower their offer.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/2/18 3:43 p.m.
Gunchsta said:

If it were mine I would fall madly and temporarily in love with it, spend time and money to get it running (keep the wheels for your car), then sell it at a relative loss. 

But that's kind of my relationship with cars, and I'm not upset about it in the least. 

Yes, yes I know. I have a bit of that in me too. Hence this "build" thread considering just that.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
11/2/18 5:28 p.m.

If you're wanting to sell it to the picapart on 16th st, they will lower there offer if it's missing certain things, the cats being one of them.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/2/18 10:33 p.m.

Forget the junkyard price - consider that your "better than putting it in the dumpster" bonus. Get the cats - you'll get $150+ out of them. Other parts worth pulling:

Business radio/CD head unit: $250
Engine wiring harness: $150
Door latches: $100/ea
Instrument cluster: $150
Intake manifold: $140
Cruise actuator: $125
Outside door handles, front: ~$100/ea
Oil filter housing braided lines: $75
Climate control panel: $100
Front brake calipers: $75
Alternator: $75
Rearview mirror: $75
Fuel rail with injectors: $75
Under carpet fuse box: $75
Body control unit: $75
Tail lights: $60/ea
ABS pump: $60
Window motors: $50/ea
AC Compressor: $50
Fog lights: $50/ea
Radiator fan: $50
Headlights: $50/ea

You're well over $2000 and it should only take you a few hours to pull these parts. The junkyard will only give you a little for what's left but who cares. These are prices from actual eBay sales, adjusted for "free" shipping, not counting eBay fees. You'll probably net $2000 or so once it's all said and done for 10-15 hours of work. If you have a smart phone that's all the camera you need, set up a sheet for a photo backdrop, pull the parts, take the pics, list them as you're watching TV. Get ready to ship though as you need to ship them when you say you will. (just put 2 business days handling time and you've got lots of leeway.)

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
11/5/18 7:18 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Great strategy. I've purchased a lot of parts for my civic this way because I didn't feel like combing junkyards every weekend to find one or two pieces I need.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/5/19 6:39 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Thanks. 

Ridiculously nice weather today (for January), sooooooo.  It's officially getting parted out.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/5/19 7:23 p.m.

Heck yeah! I’m such an enabler, I love spending other people’s time. ;)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/6/19 9:23 a.m.

Also, the forward-mounted brake booster/ master / reservoir and associates mounting parts probably have value to someone V8-swapping a car with limited firewall space...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/6/19 9:39 a.m.

You made the right choice.

I found the thread too late to say that you should post it whole on craigslist stating "Ran until spark plug failed.  Part to fix is only $20."

I've totally purchased a car or several specifically for the wheels.  In fact, I put some alloy subaru wheels (from a parts car I dragged home this fall) on my daughter's Impreza just last night.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
1/6/19 8:34 p.m.

I did the Style 37 repro's painted in a gun metal grey and left the machined lip on my E34, I really dig them. Although heavy.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/8/19 9:01 p.m.

Mr. Parallels has left the building.  Heading for the crusher.  If you think Craigslist people are crazy, the guys who respond to a posting for a free car with no wheels are a whole level up the crazy tree..... but, finally successful. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/8/19 9:05 p.m.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/8/19 9:12 p.m.

After I picked off all the parts I wanted, I let the Indy-Kids pull any additional parts they wanted so they can list them on eBay. Once that was finished, I let them all (& their cousins) beat it up with a sledgehammer.

They enjoyed that. Plus, I'll admit, it was a bit therapeutic.wink

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/8/19 9:21 p.m.

I'm sad at all the free wiring that I know went with it. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/9/19 3:57 p.m.
Stampie said:

I'm sad at all the free wiring that I know went with it. 

Yes, all the wiring except the engine harness went with it.  Why, do you need some free wiring?  Humpie will have a bunch to offer up if you need some.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YSdyfqb8IsgLtzh4878uT6cNhnmUjpOtNLqWG8kXMoRR1jN21ZZgs3XaTpespBdT