Dammit
Dammit Reader
1/27/19 9:09 a.m.

Get a cheap 2.5 and drive it flat out, everywhere, whilst building a bullet-proof 3.7 litre engine over (next) winter?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/27/19 12:19 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I just picked up a Boxster S myself to sell my Miata.  The wife loves the S too.  I’m taking the M96 rebuild class next week.  If you do the work yourself it’s not terrible.  And used Boxster 3.2s are priced reasonably.  I don’t want to have one blow up on me, but I’m not overly afraid if it like some people.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/27/19 1:36 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I mostly bought the miata because it was cheap.  The $10-12k a Boxster S costs is just too much for me to spend.  Especially given the fact that I only made it to 2 track days and 1 auto-x last year.  My 911 will easily do that sort of stuff in mostly stock condition just fine...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
1/29/19 9:50 p.m.

And now I own it. Really a solid car overall. Looking forward to fixing the small stuff and enjoying the heck out of it. I now will have a 2 miata garage for a bit. I took care of the paperwork today and will drive the car home this sunday. On a side note, Doc is a good dude. It's funny what a difference inseam vs torso is in the miata world. Doc and I are the roughly the same height just about but mine is in the legs and his is in the upper body. It'll be a quick few changes and I'll be fitting in it like a glove. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/29/19 10:09 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

And now I own it.  I now will have a 2 miata garage for a bit. 

Be careful parking them next to each other overnight.  You might come out in the morning and find three...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
1/29/19 10:17 p.m.

So what does the offspring of a V8 and a turbo miata look like? Is that a twin turbo 5.3L Miata? 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/29/19 11:03 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

In reply to docwyte :

I just picked up a Boxster S myself to sell my Miata.  The wife loves the S too.  I’m taking the M96 rebuild class next week.  If you do the work yourself it’s not terrible.  And used Boxster 3.2s are priced reasonably.  I don’t want to have one blow up on me, but I’m not overly afraid if it like some people.

Let me know what you think of the class.  I have an m96 engine that needs a rebuild.  I’ve rebuilt several engines,  but nothing like the m96.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
1/30/19 7:53 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

So what does the offspring of a V8 and a turbo miata look like? Is that a twin turbo 5.3L Miata? 

Turbo v6.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/30/19 8:21 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Yeah, me having a 3" longer torso really hoses me as far as fitting into things.  Like miata's for instance!  Nice to meet you, sorry we couldn't hang out longer, I'll see ya Sunday morning.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
1/30/19 9:11 a.m.

Gees, So I read through the thick pile of receipts to figure out what all still needed to be done and most of my normal targets are checked off.

Shifter boots....Check.

Hella H4 light conversion.....Check.

Chassis stiffening....Check.

Plugs, Wires, and Coolant......Check. 

About the only thing I didn't see on the list is any brake work. I'll have to get it up in the air and give it a good brake once over and a bleed. Take out the steering column spacer to move that up an inch and figure out what steering wheel I want to use for her since the one on it is not the best and I like a little bit smaller on my Miatas. Figure out the Exhaust. It pre-dates the turbo kit so I'm not surprised if it's choking it a little bit. Besides that, it leaks as Doc said. Fix up the seats a little bit. Probably toss some NB2 cloth seats in there because I just like them better. Oh and clean up the 90's stereo install with a modern compact amp and mount it in a different spot and go to town. 

It's a great base car. I'll just be adding some icing to the cake. 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
1/30/19 9:17 a.m.

That's great! I'm partial to the color :) What is "Take out the steering column spacer to move that up an inch" ? Could you explain that please. Oh, Is it for knee clearance?

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/30/19 9:19 a.m.

It needs a brake fluid flush.  Pads are at 50%, rotors ok.  Drivers side cloth seat cover is ripped in multiple places and the seat pan is incredibly rusty.  Everything else the previous owner already did or I did.  Timing belt/water pump done ~7000 miles ago and they looked good when I did the valve cover gasket.

I could be persuaded to sell the Momo wheel I pictured above...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
1/30/19 10:05 a.m.

In reply to NermalSnert :

There is a small spacer that is in the 94-95 models (At least. It may be on more than that) that was for limiting steering column movement in front end crashes. If you remove it then you get a bit on knee room and when you go to a smaller wheel and drop the seating position via the foamectemy, it still allows for good gauge vision if you don't go too small with the wheel. 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
1/30/19 10:09 a.m.

Thanks. I'm lower and still have the stock wheel. I'll remember that when I change it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/2/19 5:34 p.m.

Spent today cleaning out the garage to have some space for Betty's cousin to have some room to park. I run up to Denver to pick her up tomorrow. It'll be fun. Longest she has gone in a long time so hopefully it's without issue. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/2/19 7:05 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

See ya tomorrow morning.  Still super bummed I don't fit in this!

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/3/19 11:57 a.m.

Well, my brief sojourn into miata ownership is over.  The car drove away with its new owner and that spot in my garage is now filled with my snowblower.

Not the answer for me, unfortunately...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/3/19 12:33 p.m.

So I had to get the picture at the gas station. It's not on a trailer but that is the most gas I've ever put in a NA. Over 12 gallons.

Initial impressions:

1. She is a fun little car in a bit of a juvenile way. If you don't like turbo noises this is not the car for you. Between the BOV and the exhaust and the big open intake, you hear it all. 

2. It's got the normal I'm a 25 year old issues to look through like some clunks and knocks. 

3. The miata shimmy is alive and well with this one. Getting a good wheel balance will be near the top of the list.

4. Something is really off with the temp sensor systems. The link only said 100 degrees coming home too so I think I found the emissions problems. It was blowing hot air the whole time so it's not that the coolant isnt getting hot.

5. She will be a fun little play toy and Im really excited to get some of the bugs worked out and enjoy the heck out of her.

Mike

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
2/3/19 12:42 p.m.

Great to see this one stay in the community!  yes

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
2/3/19 12:48 p.m.

Heck Yea!

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/3/19 1:27 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Install the hubcentric rings into the wheels first and see what happens.  I noticed that none of the wheels have weights on them and I find it highly unlikely that they didn't need any. 

I replaced the main temp sensor that the ECU uses but I haven't done the one that the gauge uses, which I think the Link also uses, so that could be the problem.

Even with everything working properly you're supposed to pull 4-6 out of Master Fuel to get it to pass emissions.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/3/19 2:51 p.m.

I'll pop those on tomorrow and see if it helps. So driving home, the nardi shift knob came off in my hand. The glue that held the knob to the threaded cylinder must have dried out so I made rhe first mod to her on the way home and threaded on my voodoo knob at the stop light. Haha. Whoops. So 5 miles into ownership and already did a mod. Guess I truly am a GRMer. 

I did the rest of the fit the car to Mike mods as soon as I got home. First off was leather door pulls. That was a simple 4 screws. Done in a few minutes. Next was the removal of the visors and the install of the block off plates. The last was the removal of the spacer plate which raises the steering wheel about a quarter of an inch or so. I'll pull the wheels tomorrow and check out the rear chassis and install the hub centric rings. I did also tighten the battery some as it was a little loose. T have to get a little fabric or carpet to put on the panels behind the seat so the leather doesn't squeak on that. I forgot about it or I would have already had some. I also topped off the coolant as the overflow was all empty. 

I've got the gauge temp sensor coming from Rock Auto and I'll attach that this next weekend probably. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/3/19 9:08 p.m.

Psst! The Link reports temps in Celsius. 100 is 212. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/3/19 9:44 p.m.

Damn it Keith....I just figured that out like 5 minutes ago :) I started to think the same thing when I was looking at it more today. So that is just about perfect in 55 degree weather with a nice head wind. 

So I spent the day just messing around and making some adjustments like the getting the right top latch tensions to get rid of the wind noise. Remounted the keypad since the old Velcro came right off. Also found out the top and the roll bar are totally not compatible. Good thing it's winter so I'll keep the top up for awhile till I figure out what I want to do.  The Roll Bar is the hard top version so I can do a HT and bikini top as an option. I also disconnected the totally annoying door buzzer. How it lasted 25 years and still plugged in I don't know.

Need to figure out the radio situation. The current setup is horrible. Think bargain bin 90's gear. Since it'll be a canyon bomber too I want something that works at least ok in there. 

I'll have some plates for her tomorrow and probably drive her most of the week just to try and figure out what is needed next. I got 2 of the 4 hub centric rings on there today and noticed that there were weights on the wheels. I need to move Betty out to get some more room to pull the other side. This garage in tiny. 

It is fun to look into the garage and know that there is 630HP of miata fun in there. 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
2/4/19 5:42 a.m.

Please tell me how to disconnect that buzzer from hell!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UAxaa1Q6Ed8mNUnwNlrcTc0FTSmTwmMDRGP4J5iBaQu7whMhiplSj65RcsS8bAYD