1 2 3 4
Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
6/3/19 1:55 p.m.

250 rear spring is about right for the car, if you start to do aero, or huge from springs *800#+* then you may jump to 350.  500# in the front is pretty smooth, but i was running on some AST at the time.  Not sure how Koni's would fair with that.

Enkei with their max offset 18x10.5 are light and look good, those were my old race wheel setup.  I have Forgestar's now in 18x11.

Get C&C Plates too, max em out.  should be over 7* caster and -2* camber. 

Sounds like you have a good start to it though.  I am Daily Driving my GT500 on 750/250 MCS Coilovers and adjustable rear perches.  Its not too bad, but a bit harsh.  LIGHTYEARS better than 950/350 setup on the old car for driving around though.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/3/19 8:04 p.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

Sadly no, my brother is in town that week.  I am however planning to make it to the August 8th edition with my daughter in the novice class.  We will be sharing my car unless she brings some GM loaner car.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
6/3/19 8:28 p.m.
akylekoz said:

In reply to fusion66 :

Sadly no, my brother is in town that week.  I am however planning to make it to the August 8th edition with my daughter in the novice class.  We will be sharing my car unless she brings some GM loaner car.

That's cool that you're taking your daughter.  I want to get mine involved too.  They're 12 and 14, so it's coming soon.

Fun fact: you are 1 month and 1 day older than me.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/3/19 8:52 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

My old girl is 25, learned to drive in my 525i MT.  Full ride at Oakland, two years at FCI, now at GM.  I’m proud.  She mentioned that I should teach her how to drive on a track.  My heart skipped a beat I’m super excited to do this with her.  This will also be the first time on a track for my new car.  We planned on using my 92 Mustang but things changed.

I also have twin boys at 12 and a nine year old girl who is on the All Star team this year.  They have a great roll model.   Enough about my awesome kids.

Maybe one of them will find joy in cars, I let them find their own path.  So far I have one working for car companies, one that’s a jock, one that gets computers, one not that is good at arguing, the other kids joke that he will be a lawyer, he can also talk for ever.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/3/19 8:55 p.m.

Lawn tractor is fixed, Lemons car and kayak trailer are in-process, soon I wrench on Sangria.  I named her, well the dark candy apple paint is called Sangria red metallic at some suppliers, I like it.   The name and a good Sangria that is. 

Most of my parts arrived.  Teeheehee, can’t wait.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/8/19 3:47 p.m.

This is why I still have a pile of parts in the garage.

There is a lot of interest in the used parts form Sangria, so that’s cool.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/18/19 9:24 a.m.

Smokeyseven:

How about the Team Dynamics powder coated bronze?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/18/19 9:29 a.m.

Not bad for an 11 year old Michigan car, the only real rotor rust is behind the wheel.  

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/18/19 9:30 a.m.

I think these are Eiback sportline springs.  Or what I call lowrider springs. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
7/29/19 7:24 a.m.

All new parts installed, dampers, springs, CC plates, lower rear arms and relocating mounts.  Also added the 08 GT500 wheels with Continental tires.

No major hiccups with the install, Mustang struts are way easier that others to change.  Set the front sway bar at full soft the rear in the middle, Dampers all 3/4 turn from full soft.

My first drive was was to visit some old friends, the ride was better than expected and it cornered flat through the banked interchange ramps.

PO told me it needed an oil change, not from mileage but age.   Drain plugs are supposed to unscrew real easy after cracked loose, this one did not.  Fortunately I had a less used spare laying around.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/29/19 7:30 a.m.

Less than 100 miles into ownership and a full suspension refresh, time to take it to the track.  

Track day!

Turns out it does have 3:73 gears in the rear end.  I may need to learn to grab second gear before turn two.  A three valve with a taller intake and bigger cam does nothing for its low rpm power.  My stock cammed pushrod 5.0 pulled from idle to 5k, this needs some R's to get moving, I'll figure it out.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/29/19 7:34 a.m.

Next up a road trip, made a trip to the UP to meet the garage night guys.  At one of the many rest stops on the way to the bridge.

Averaged 21.5 mpg and managed to kill off some of my hearing.  Next up Mufflers, who has some take off GT500 or Bullitt for me?  Steeda competition springs and bars ride more than acceptable to me.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/29/19 7:39 a.m.

Other cool cars from the trip, 2011 Camaro SS/RS with dealer installed options, C7 vert, 40 ford on a C5 chassis, Lotus 7, Lotus Elan +2, Z4M, 07 Mustang Vert, AW11 MR2, C6 Vert, 56 Chevy 210 driver, 95 Mustang Vert.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/29/19 7:47 a.m.

Alexis came in early from one session of our track day, she hears a loud pop.  I went out next to verify the noise, gave it the old Nascar tire warmup on the hot pit, mostly to look like a dork.

Nothing fell off so I hit the track, about two laps in while deep in to turn nine I hears a pop also.  This is out of order but before the UP trip I swapped the stock pads back on. While inspecting, noticed the passenger side panhard mounting bold and shifted, I'll retorque that.

So one new car, one track day and one road trip later, no major issues.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/29/19 9:31 a.m.

When you did the springs, did you use new isolator pads at the top of the strut? The factory type ones are single use only and the failure mode is popping noises in hard turns. If you do camber plates most of them don't use the factory isolators so it's a non issue, but I've heard a lot of the aftermarket camber plates make noises too. Mine never have, they just slip out of adjustment instead.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/29/19 10:22 a.m.

I used the Steeda CC plates, which are more of a camber plate/strut mount.  Yes, reused the upper spring seat.  Went with these because they are the quietest and this is not a racecar.  I'm trying really hard to keep this as street friendly as possible.  I'll keep an ear out for popping from the front end.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/30/19 5:46 p.m.

Move aside crowd plow, I have some serious wrenching to do.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/30/19 5:50 p.m.

The GT500 in the background makes 21lbs of boost in 5.8 liters.  Somewhere around 900 HP.  Cats are only happy up to about 700 in these without an enrichment program to cool them.  I’m going to rod them out to cure that problem, if it stinks we can always get some more.  The cats on this are a separate piece between the long tubes and the x pipe.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/16/19 7:30 a.m.

This looks restrictive, no amount of beating would get this to come out.  Cutting a window in the outer shell and then welding it back up did the trick.  This was the drivers side, passenger side gutted its self and was found wadded up in the muffler.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/16/19 7:34 a.m.

Ready to go back to the owner.

This is a fun picture.

I bought the red car from the owner of the blue car.  

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/7/20 1:35 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/7/20 1:48 p.m.

My latest track day produced a new PR, two seconds faster than last time.  Tires are a year older so I’ll take it as more experience with the new car.  Handling is Mustang neutral, a little understeer that transfers to slight rotation on throttle.  

It is time for upgrades again, some needed some just because.

The stock limited slip is shot, the cheap way out is to replace the clutches, it’s getting a T2R from Maximum Motorsports this winter.

Brakes, cooling ducts would be enough but my buddy Dave found me a 14” Brembo package with extra rear rotors and pads for $300.!?  Pretty stoked about this and am considering adding the 13-14 GT500 rear kit while I have the rear apart.

Engine, 

Currently my redline is set in the tune at 6200 rpm.  I’m looking for better valve springs and light weight retainers and keepers.  With those I’ll be able to reload the tune and adjust my redline to 6500-6800 range.

Other than my winter plans I’ve just been driving it this summer.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/7/20 2:00 p.m.

30k miles on it this summer.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/7/20 2:02 p.m.

Then went for ludicrous speed, it will go a buck 30 in fourth, then I ran out of road.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/18/20 5:29 p.m.

Two calipers, four rotors and two sets of pads, $300.  This plus my brake ducts will be a solid upgrade.   If all goes well work will start soon.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OuS0ZfjNBpREflrYei1tmb7ewYnrivKi7WLxVQXmaXPbC00OfABzErM7inUB1vuQ