1 2 3
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/26/22 7:48 p.m.

In the time honored tradition of grm build threads, ill leave this here. 

i pick it up Thursday afternoon.  Its a roller of unknown history and has been mostly parted out. It has a full front suspension, partial brake system, partial steering system, floater rearend housing but no guts, extra wheels. 

General plan: take the parts i had been collecting for the amc, stuff into cup car, square suspension, go racing. That means ls, four speed, 3.55 explorer 8.8, wilwood brakes and tilton pedals, autometer gauges that don't match, ultrashield seats, etc. Lots of good used racecar parts that i got for cheap or free. 

I know part of the challenge is that it has to be prodution frame or body. This is neither. 

At some point, it will get a Plymouth duster body, or early chevelle body stuffed on it. Maybe a sebring. But probably a duster, cause ive wanted to do that since i was 15. 

I know nothing about tube frame race cars. At all. So, im jumping my fat butt right into the deep end!

Goals? "Street legal".  All the motorsports. Hpde. Time trials. Hillclimbs. Standing mile. 

Im like a kid on Christmas!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/22 8:30 p.m.

You sweet bastard.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
4/26/22 9:09 p.m.

This will be so sweet.

Just a little light reading for you if you haven't seen this before.   

https://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?46268-69-Chevelle-NASCAR-chassis-Track-Day-Build

Dusterbd13-michael
4/26/22 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Wxdude10 - Mike :

That's going to be a fun read! I remember it from my pro-touring.com stint, but nothing specific other than i followed it.

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/26/22 9:29 p.m.

When the duster body goes on, I will be cheering and toasting from the cheap seats. 
I'm stoked for you and buckled up for the ride!

Congrats!!

HalfFast
HalfFast New Reader
4/26/22 9:30 p.m.

I have a used, but fully functional steering gear if you're interested 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/26/22 9:33 p.m.

Dibs on quarter windows when you ditch the body?

Dusterbd13-michael
4/27/22 5:56 a.m.

In reply to HalfFast :

Definitely! Thats actually one of the first things i need to sort out. So i can get it around the driveway and shop easier. I had been thinking that its probably pretty similar to the gm metric chassis or chevelle, as thats what the linkage looos like. So i was going to try a used small Saginaw box from one for now. But a correct box would  be more better. 

Where are you? Ill see if we can grm relay it. Or if your close enough, ill just drive.

Angry: maybe. If i don't use them. 

HalfFast
HalfFast New Reader
4/27/22 6:04 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to HalfFast :

Definitely! Thats actually one of the first things i need to sort out. So i can get it around the driveway and shop easier. I had been thinking that its probably pretty similar to the gm metric chassis or chevelle, as thats what the linkage looos like. So i was going to try a used small Saginaw box from one for now. But a correct box would  be more better. 

Where are you? Ill see if we can grm relay it. Or if your close enough, ill just drive.

Angry: maybe. If i don't use them. 

Near Summit point raceway.  It is a standard GM gearbox that came out of my late model.  Worked perfectly, just didn't like the ratio. 

Dusterbd13-michael
4/27/22 6:26 a.m.

Cool. Ill grab a junkyard unit here and set up a relay for yours. What ratio is yours? I have a 2:1 steering quickener leftover from thebamc as well....

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/27/22 6:34 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

If you feel like coming to VIR/Hyperfest in a couple of weeks, Jim or I can try and grab it from Bill. 
also Ed Higginbotham is fetching a trans for the Spec3 near Greenville...son James is pulling an early 60's beetle out of a field in Fayetteville on the same trip...options. 

Dusterbd13-michael
4/27/22 6:35 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Hyperfest sounds like fun! Get to meet some of you guys and check out the hardware. Get more knowledge....

What weekend? Ill take you up on the offer if i can!

HalfFast
HalfFast New Reader
4/27/22 6:36 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Cool. Ill grab a junkyard unit here and set up a relay for yours. What ratio is yours? I have a 2:1 steering quickener leftover from thebamc as well....

Box is 12:1. I replaced it with an 8:1 and love it!   6:1 would be too much I think.  

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/27/22 6:37 a.m.

Cool...Hfest is May 13/14/15. There's a burger and a cool beverage in it for you too...bonus. 

Dusterbd13-michael
4/27/22 7:09 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Ill see what i can do! Same weekend as daughters robotics team competition, so it may be later Saturday. 

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/27/22 7:13 a.m.

look forward to following. would love to build something similiar someday!

Dusterbd13-michael
4/27/22 7:37 a.m.

In reply to HalfFast :

I think i sent you a pm. Definitely want to set something up for your steering box if we can!

And thanks jh36!

HalfFast
HalfFast New Reader
4/27/22 8:00 a.m.

Replied

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/27/22 8:12 a.m.

This is very cool Michael!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
4/27/22 8:44 a.m.

Something like this has always intrigued me, even more so that you're doing it on a tight budget.  I'm in to see how it goes.

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
4/27/22 8:46 a.m.

See Nascarlo Roadkill...

absolutely love stuff like this, gotta keep it road legal for maximum daily drivability 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
4/27/22 9:05 a.m.

Hooray for Truck-Arms!

Dusterbd13-michael
4/27/22 9:11 a.m.
HalfFast said:

Replied

And you have a response!

Dusterbd13-michael
4/27/22 9:13 a.m.

Andy, gambit, buzzboy: ive always thought it would be awesome. Since the mid 90s when i thought about it. 

If this particular car wasn't so cheap, and this particular stash of parts on hand, i dont think id be doing it. 

Also, slantsix may have a duster body, and the seller of the cup car is a duster guy too. It may be a duster again quickly....

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
4/27/22 9:24 a.m.

cool

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VcHa3dPMLUVNqkGVBffsqz81mttSmkqTxMTEN5qpzSPZVgYYeokwZCFxRhV12l4C