Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/15/22 9:46 p.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP :

Then i am definitely safe! Reasonably certain that rob is way faster than me.

Also, sitting un tge new to me kirkey tonight, i realized that its actually starting to go together already. Not just being taken further and further apart, with an ever growing list of needs! Really kind of shocking to realize that point in the build already. 

Im excited to go nascar shopping with dad tomorrow. Hopefully ill be able to finish the rear end and get it reinstalled this week. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/15/22 10:23 p.m.

Damn I read that wrong also. Was cool hanging with Michael and Brotus7 today.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
6/15/22 11:21 p.m.

Is that a seat I donated?  If so, it may be an ultrasheild.  Can't remember if I gave you a seat, or which one.  Lolz.

I hope it is a seat I donated.  It makes me feel good when my parts get used to go fast!

P.s. you guys apparently suck at smack talk.  I have 185hp.  Yall should smoke me.  Especially at a track like Roebling 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
6/16/22 6:33 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I didn't know what a '71 Duster 340 looked like so I went and found an example to share with the class:  

Being from South Africa, all these are new info, but what I like, is the black on yellow. Big fan. My old Beetle SP(South African special) was black stripes on yellow body work.... Man do I miss that car...

Now to continue reading

Dusterbd13-michael
6/16/22 6:50 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

The seat you sent IS an ultrashield. I picked up this kirkey when I got the konis. 

Im honestly not sure which seat is more comfortable for me. I need some more time in both. 

And yep. I suck at smack. However, im pretty sure i have you on straights!

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
6/16/22 8:13 a.m.
StripesSA1 said:
John Welsh said:

I didn't know what a '71 Duster 340 looked like so I went and found an example to share with the class:  

Being from South Africa, all these are new info, but what I like, is the black on yellow. Big fan. My old Beetle SP(South African special) was black stripes on yellow body work.... Man do I miss that car...

Now to continue reading

My bug look exactly like this, with two exceptions, I had custom 8jx14" rostyles, and not the std 5 1/2Jx14, and a set of rally light mounted on the bumpers. Will see if I can find something on Fb

A link to the original spec sheets

Sorry Michael for the little derailment there

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
6/16/22 8:48 a.m.

Found one decent picture. Sorry about the mess in the back of the pic. We were just finished with moving a workshop, and some old banners were stored at my parent's place

Again sorry to Michael for the derailment, but that yellow and black 340 just brought back some old happy memories 

Dusterbd13-michael
6/16/22 9:20 a.m.

In reply to StripesSA1 :

I had a yellow bug convertible for a minute. 

Yours is way cooler! And ive never seen those wheels before. Those are awesome!

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
6/16/22 10:48 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to StripesSA1 :

I had a yellow bug convertible for a minute. 

Yours is way cooler! And ive never seen those wheels before. Those are awesome!

Thanks. She was my pride and joy, but an expanding family meant either she, or my wife's, girlfriend at the time, bug had to go. Both were for sale at the same time, but mine sold first.

Those were widened Rostyle wheels, from the standard 5.5J to 8J, and custom colour, the silver was Toyota Hypersilver, and the black was some left over black from an E30 we did rust repairs on. Me, my dad and my brother had a rust repair shop at the time.

Also fitted to the wheels are some chrome rings to give it some depth

Before trim

And after trim was fitted

Sorry for the screen grabs. Seems Facebook doesn't want me to save these from my profile

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/16/22 11:42 a.m.

In reply to StripesSA1 :

Deep dish are the best.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/16/22 5:01 p.m.

So, went nascar shopping today. $216 at second chance parts for one axle, u bolts, lug studs, hub seals, tube seals, lug nuts

$146 at sri for four springs and the other axle. 

Got home, and figured out that i measured the axles wrong. And my diff is a 28 spline, not 31. So, completely wrong. Will have to get custom axles made, as they are nowhere near anything i saw today. 

Kinda frustrating, honestly. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/16/22 7:18 p.m.

NASCAR body dropped off with dyintorace. 

Dusterbd13-michael
6/16/22 7:32 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Some of the blankets stayed blue!!

jh36
jh36 Dork
6/16/22 7:38 p.m.

Is that a NASCAR Europa?  I thought I'd seen it all, up to now!!!

Thumbs up.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/16/22 7:55 p.m.

Yes they did but you failed to tell dyintorace that he was required to keep them.  He didn't put up too much of a fight but I'm pretty sure he used gloves and they went straight to his trashcan.

In reply to jh36 :

Yep.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
6/16/22 8:22 p.m.

Thanks to Stampie for the delivery! And I sent him off with 4 wheels and an engine hoist for FloatingDoc!

Here is the load after he left me.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/16/22 8:59 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

That's a sexy ass there.

HalfFast
HalfFast New Reader
6/16/22 9:22 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

So, went nascar shopping today. $216 at second chance parts for one axle, u bolts, lug studs, hub seals, tube seals, lug nuts

$146 at sri for four springs and the other axle. 

Got home, and figured out that i measured the axles wrong. And my diff is a 28 spline, not 31. So, completely wrong. Will have to get custom axles made, as they are nowhere near anything i saw today. 

Kinda frustrating, honestly. 

Might be better to source another diff as the drive flanges may not be available in 28

Dusterbd13-michael
6/16/22 9:26 p.m.

In reply to HalfFast :

This differential was only meant to be temporary anyway while I found what gear ratio the car really like or felt like it needed. I just really don't want to spend a bunch of money until I know what I want and need for this thing. So I'm going to figure it out before doing any more spending. I know I'd like to keep 31-spline if it all possible

HalfFast
HalfFast New Reader
6/16/22 9:31 p.m.

Then get some new 31 spline side gears. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-e2uz4236a?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwqauVBhBGEiwAXOepkanbt7y4AZeE13Z3qxpyrXO8UgTaan_-fDOXkbWTljijUCFv5nwNwRoCOkQQAvD_BwE

Dusterbd13-michael
6/16/22 9:34 p.m.

In reply to HalfFast :

Wait. What? You can do that?

Can you explain in small, monosyllabic words just how this works? I've never worked on a diff before, so be gentle. Price is sure right!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/16/22 9:40 p.m.

i have a 28 spline center that the bearing retainers physically aren't big enough for the 31 spline axle to slide through, so watch out for that before you buy the side gears

HalfFast
HalfFast New Reader
6/16/22 9:54 p.m.

Patrick is correct, there are two size bearings, but as I read this, only older center sections had small bearing.  I am not sure how to know this.. .

But back to the original question...  Looking at the picture circled in red are the side gears.  they are held in with the pin circled in green.  

Simply pull the pin by removing the bolt roughly where the arrow is, then the gears fall out.  It can be done without removing the ring  gear assembly

You only need 2 btw, the others gears will be reused.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/17/22 8:43 a.m.
Patrick said:

i have a 28 spline center that the bearing retainers physically aren't big enough for the 31 spline axle to slide through, so watch out for that before you buy the side gears

It appears we both have 28 spline cases like this. 

jimgood
jimgood Reader
6/17/22 10:43 a.m.
HalfFast said:

Patrick is correct, there are two size bearings, but as I read this, only older center sections had small bearing.  I am not sure how to know this.. .

But back to the original question...  Looking at the picture circled in red are the side gears.  they are held in with the pin circled in green.  

Simply pull the pin by removing the bolt roughly where the arrow is, then the gears fall out.  It can be done without removing the ring  gear assembly

You only need 2 btw, the others gears will be reused.

Doesn't the pin hold the spider gears (not circled)? I'm not that familiar with how these are assembled but I assume the bearings are pressed onto the case. The axle slides through and splines with the side gears. Are the side gears just floating around until the axles are installed or is there something between the gears and the case that locates them?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uJSPPRNRr5EciJMOqMGKRYv1fx1GkGqa0bJVbcoNYOhjM1AlvVStWq2ul8jIRQJn