Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/8/18 6:45 p.m.

Thanks ted. This is where i needed to be in spring to make the challenge. Trying like hell to make up for lost time, but.....

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
7/9/18 7:54 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Dang, the blue one is looking good. Did you respray it like you were planning to? Not gonna lie, I hope the pending deal on that falls through.

Great progress on the rest of the build! I know you're behind where you want to be, I know the feeling. I hope you bring it out even if it's not at full potential. My plan is for this challenge to be the last challenge year for my car just because of what else I want to do with it, but given the time it's probably not going to be at maximum potential that it could be withing budget. Really though, I just do it for fun, so as long as you're having fun it's worth it right? It's just been hectic with wedding checklist and other car issues and house projects, I'm sure you know the feeling. 

If I do end up coming down for the NB, I'll have to see if I can make it a weekend or at least 2 days and help you out a bit. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/9/18 8:15 a.m.

The blue car photographs well. Never did respray like i planned.

The next big hurdle for this is getting the trans and clutch sorted. Then plumbing.  Tuen engine electrical. 

I doubt id bring it even if its running/driving this year. I cant not be competitive and go on full kill. Which means id spend all weekend fighting the car for a few more points, and lose the fun of this whole thing. If its running/driving/sorted, and all thats left is aero and cosmetics, then yes it'll show.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
7/9/18 8:26 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Well good luck to you!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/14/18 10:36 a.m.

The guy who designed these headers needs slapped. He put the drivers side collector in the way 9f installing the trans.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/14/18 12:10 p.m.

Well, im walking away from the project for a minute. 

Gotta pull the engine and crossmember back out the bottom to install the trans, reinstall the headers, and do some additional plumbing work.

Its stopped being fun right now.

Timw to go finish the truck and duster.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
7/14/18 12:18 p.m.

OOOOPS!    I know the feeling very well.   That's why I'm called Jimmy 2 Tmes.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/14/18 1:30 p.m.

I realize that I was killing myself for a deadline that realistically cannot happen. When I decided that the motor and K frame and all that had to come back out I cleaned up the shop and Tuck the car away in the corner to walk away and get some headspace. I'll get back to it another day. Time to get the truck or the duster finished finally. Maybe spend a little extra time with the girls. Building cars is supposed to be fun not a job.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/14/18 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Sounds like family time is in order.  When I was little, I'd rather read than just about anything.  My dad used to say "boy, those words will still be on the page after the sun goes down."

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
7/14/18 5:43 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I realize that I was killing myself for a deadline that realistically cannot happen. When I decided that the motor and K frame and all that had to come back out I cleaned up the shop and Tuck the car away in the corner to walk away and get some headspace. I'll get back to it another day. Time to get the truck or the duster finished finally. Maybe spend a little extra time with the girls. Building cars is supposed to be fun not a job.

Good move. I'm doing the same with my truck project. This is a hobby. I want it to be fun. So now I'm going to have fun putting an awesome paint scheme on the van. The truck will be there this winter. And next year. And the year after that.

I look forward to seeing your progress on your other projects. And I'll look forward to seeing this car at the Challenge when you get around to finishing it.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/14/18 6:27 p.m.

Kids > annoying cars

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/14/18 6:57 p.m.

Exactly y'all. 

dherr
dherr HalfDork
7/15/18 8:12 a.m.

Don't blame you one bit, it has to be fun or it is just more stress. Go spend some time with the family, finish your other projects and then bring the challenge car next year!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/15/18 8:38 a.m.

As someone who likes long term car projects, I have come to accept the four Fs that factor in...Family, frustration, finances and failure. They all in due time require that I take a breather. What is good about the breaks is that I play the mental game amd review where I am and where I want to go. Nothing is off limits for a re-do regardless of $$$ or time. When I do get back it tends to be with enthusiasm for the re-focused project and not just a sense of duty to "get the damn thing done".

Pete

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/1/18 8:10 p.m.

Just checkin' on you and this .......head space is always important as is FAMILY......Darth Maz can wait till next year....you have Derbimmervagenseatsafloppin to focus on..........now off to Pat G and the VairVette peace out 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/1/18 8:14 p.m.

Aint touched it. 

May try to get trans in this weekend after alignment on the truck, but dont hold your breath. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/1/18 8:28 p.m.

Vagen then PU then Dart....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/1/18 8:31 p.m.

Truck first. Got to drive it to West Virginia the end of next week

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/10/18 10:00 a.m.

tedroach
tedroach Reader
8/10/18 11:20 a.m.

Aww, yeah! Transmission is hooked up. Time for some pipes and plumbing!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/10/18 11:45 a.m.

Motor is close to installed. Stopped for sloppy Joes and diet mt dew.

Todays goal is complete drive train, minus driveshaft and rear, plumbed and run home. May make it, may not. 

However, after fighting the Germans yesterday, the Japanese are getting their asses kicked today with good old-fashioned American ingenuity. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/10/18 11:53 a.m.

shifter poking through the tunnel reminded me of that scene from aliens......

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/10/18 12:26 p.m.

Can we get a pic of the front of the engine?  I wanna see how you made the accessories work with the intake.

Thanks!

Rob R.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/10/18 12:28 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Sure thing! Gimme a few. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/10/18 12:46 p.m.

Took a bunch. When i get to my laptop, ill go through it in depth. Its unorthodox to say the least. But should be effective, if not a stine colx bitch to service.

Right now im pushing it onto the lift to reinstall butterfly brace and plumb.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TyarXKV0qHtdu3MSLqoux2ZyBeCfFp7rKgbbVB3uk0mJQ07St4wUtmcLEZmGrHcJ