759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/4/18 5:58 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

No problem! Does it make sense now with the spring loaded tensioner?

the pulley thingy at the top makes it all werk in my pee brain.....pssst don't tell anyone but this 'ANSWER' speaks to me wink

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/4/18 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Bad-berkeleying-ass dude!!!

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/4/18 6:06 p.m.

Congrats on first run!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/4/18 6:24 p.m.

Thanks yall.

Cell phone camera does not do the sounds justice.  Its awesome. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
11/4/18 11:06 p.m.

I like it.  Enough to lament my lack of "Dad help/interest" a shop, tools, perseverance, talent........

I mean, how do I even hang with that?

You inspire me Mike

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/5/18 3:25 a.m.

This is really cool. Great work. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
11/5/18 6:41 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

A very talented Duo,

A RIGHTOUS Shop,    

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 6:45 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Im definitely not the Nelson clan, thats for sure. I can't compete with them or Patrick. But i am truly blessed to be able to do this with my father. And its a radical build. Which means that there are far more teething problems than what we have discovered so far. So my perserverance is going to be tested to a great extent. 

Thanks for the encouragement of all of you. Ive come close to giving up a couple of times. But, this forum/family wants to see this done and at the challenge, so dad and i will do our best to get there.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
11/5/18 6:51 a.m.

IT was Wise to shoot for next year,

now if I can find a Talented  Kid with a shop, I might make it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 7:02 a.m.
GTXVette said:

IT was Wise to shoot for next year,

now if I can find a Talented  Kid with a shop, I might make it.

It was definitely not an easy call, but it was the right one. I did make the goal of running by the end of October. The next milestone is test drive under WFO before Christmas. Hopefully by thanksgiving. But theres a lot of time consuming and fiddly bits to do before that happens. It may not be painted for next year, but it will be sirted!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott Reader
11/5/18 9:12 a.m.

My lord that thing sounds fantastic!

+1 for Child Labor!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 9:48 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

You should hear it in person. Almost indy car like sound (at least 90s tv indy car). Its a truly pants tightening sound. I cant wait to hear it under load. 

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/5/18 10:34 a.m.

So cool to see (and hear it) running. Congrats to you and looking forward to seeing it continue to progress!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott Reader
11/5/18 11:41 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

You should hear it in person. Almost indy car like sound (at least 90s tv indy car). Its a truly pants tightening sound. I cant wait to hear it under load. 

Yeah, that's going to sound sweet blasting around an autocross course.

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
11/5/18 12:48 p.m.

Since you had it running and the cooling system cycled, I assume the water neck is working out?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 1:06 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Yessir! No trouble there. Pinhole in the pan where we cut and welded, but a little more jb weld will cure that.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
11/5/18 7:33 p.m.

Very happy for you!  Nice to step back and admire hard work.  Just like you and your Dad, before you know it, your kids will be putting you to work.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/5/18 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

AWESOME! A few more bugs to work out and you'll be driving!

I don't recall, but do you have a title for this/plan to register it for occasional Street time? Or will all the sorting out be on track, autocross?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
11/6/18 4:35 a.m.

Great work!

Wd40 removes plasti dip easily.  I just tried it on a set of Porsche wheels and it was a revelation...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/6/18 5:07 a.m.

Pimpme: wd40 didn't touch this. Whatever goo-ed it, did a number. 

Indy: theres a title.  Even notarized! However, i cant out it on the street due to emissions inspection here. Supposedly the law is changing, but ill wait and see.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/8/18 11:51 a.m.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYEAYQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is the coupler I got which clamped right onto my throttle body.  You can get them in Rubber for cheaper.

Cold air intake I bought....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00420WDOU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully that helps.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/18 12:04 p.m.

It does! Thank you!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/13/18 7:26 p.m.

Today i learned that the mazda and chevy use different pins to communicate with the obd2 scanner. The scanner will NOT recognize the gm protocol on the mazda pinout. However, when you swap the pin fo the gm spot, it works instantly. 

I wish i had known that 5 hours of work ago. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/14/18 7:20 a.m.

This may not look like a lot, but its huge. 

Everything is wired except for the nitrous and shift light.  And all tucked in its home neat and tidy. And the obd2 port works. And tge gauges. And the key now kills the engine. I can now finish bolting the dash and column in. The hvac is all plugged in and mounted. The rough wiring for the nitrous is in as well.

It doesn't look like much in a picture though. And i need to re-clock the tach needle, as i put it in the wrong spot on the bench.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/14/18 10:58 a.m.

Sweet!

Is the engine revving and responding correctly?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vpCvnXIk0GOu2UOXqFWsxEhGK3UKakOCzc6MiXtuMqivS765Wk4zGO1D5LVCIHXF