1 2 3 4 5
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/7/17 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Ermagawd!

Buy another one or 2.  Boost or nitrous or whatever on those engines til you get it right.  Install cheap engine once right for challenge....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/7/17 5:20 p.m.
Mr. Lee said:
wvumtnbkr said:

How much do you have into that LA1? 

3500 that makes more powars.... Around 250$

I think I saw you had 125 into the trans, right?  If so, that sounds pretty good!  Especially if it had a shifter or slave cylinder!

I REALLY wanna boost and or nitrous my chumpcar (LA1 powered 87 RX7) for hooning next year.  Maybe you and I can compare notes once the sillyness ensues....

Does the intake manifold flip 180 on those?

Hot ticket would be to find whoever picked up the parking lot build fiero a few years ago and see if you can't score those manifolds. It was a 3.4 swapped, T3 turbo'd contraption.

Yes.  However for rwd, you must run the 2.8 or 3.4 rwd front timing cover, water pump, alternator, and pulleys.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/17 6:09 p.m.

Im actually planning to run the intake into the cowl below the wipers. Thereby making it cheaper.....

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
11/7/17 7:01 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Im actually planning to run the intake into the cowl below the wipers. Thereby making it cheaper.....

there's usually a good high pressure zone at the base of windsheilds... and you live in the region of plentiful hood scoops, right?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/17 7:10 p.m.

Yes i do.

They're called mailboxes laugh

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/7/17 7:28 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Cool!  I wish I could have done that!

I need to send you a care package...  new water pump and some other stuff...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/17 8:05 p.m.

Why couldn't you do that? Something rx7 specific, or another reason?

I like care packages.....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/7/17 8:40 p.m.

Seems like a time & energy would be better well spent just making a stock-ish 3400 work well in an autox prepped Miata, right?  I have to imagine some intake/exhaust should get you around 190-200whp, which is plenty to make a Miata on SM7s go fast.  Good for low 13s maybe?  All that extra boost/nitrous/etc. probably wouldn't gain much in the autocross, but will decrease reliability ten-fold and may turn the trans, diff, motor, or all 3 into a grenade at the drag strip.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/17 9:01 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

That really does sound practical and a rational way to proceed. It's also going to be step one. Then, add power. All the boost and juice in the world is pointless if i can't get it around course quickly. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
11/8/17 9:55 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Seems like a time & energy would be better well spent just making a stock-ish 3400 work well in an autox prepped Miata, right?  I have to imagine some intake/exhaust should get you around 190-200whp, which is plenty to make a Miata on SM7s go fast.  Good for low 13s maybe?  All that extra boost/nitrous/etc. probably wouldn't gain much in the autocross, but will decrease reliability ten-fold and may turn the trans, diff, motor, or all 3 into a grenade at the drag strip.

anyone got dyno plots on that?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/17 10:13 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

If we find some, im all eyes.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/8/17 10:18 a.m.

There's actually quite a lot of dyno sheets for gm 60*v6s floating around. One of the main things that separates them from other 60* ohv v6s (other than rwd manual trans availability) is how many cams are available or have been tried in them. You can put a really nasty cam in them, off the shelf. 

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/8/17 10:32 a.m.

In for updates...I like where this is going!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/17 10:41 a.m.

Maybe this should be the build thread....

Can anyone find me a chassis dyno plot for a stck manual transmission la1 3400? 

This is gonna be fun 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
11/8/17 10:43 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

190 whp in a 2000lb car (with driver) should theoretically be good for 12.50's around 106.  4cyl miata is EASY to hit that weight. Not sure what the weight of a 3.4 is vs a bp. 

ET calculator

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/17 10:49 a.m.

According to Google, a full dress longblock is 250lbs

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
11/8/17 11:18 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

This is gonna be fun 

I'm using these, mainly because it gets sucked into a spreadsheet easily:
Automobile Catalog Impala 3400

and dropping a 20% driveline loss onto it

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/17 12:27 p.m.

After a little digging, it seems that these engines with a stock tune, free flowing intake and exhaust, and manual transmissions put down 19x hp and 20x ft lbs torque pretty consistently. 

Thats vs the stok 1xx hp and 9x torque of the miata. 

Double out of the box.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/8/17 12:56 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

This is gonna be fun 

Probably in a few weeks....  However, mine does have a homemade intake and headers.  Close enough?

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
11/8/17 1:05 p.m.
Robbie said:
Dusterbd13 says:

The last part of me wants to do both

Twin nitrous? Dual nitrous? N2O4?

Its such a good idea I don't even know what to call it.

I'd say go Dual nitrous dual turbo.  One per bank.

devil

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
11/8/17 1:20 p.m.

Dusterbd,

Earlier you mentioned larger heads to lower compression.  The iron heads on the rwd 2.8/3.1/3.4's would drop the compression, but they suck for flow.  The LX9 3500 (bored out LA1) heads are supposed to be the best heads available before they redesigned the block for the LZ4 3500/LZ9 3900 engines.  The LX9 heads will fit on the LA1.  Flex Fuel versions were only on the newer 3500/3900 engines.  LA1 specs were 170-185 HP, 200-210 lb-ft.  LX9 was 196-201 HP, 213-221 lb-ft.

Watch out with your T-5 bell housing and the starter location.  The 3400's (all FWD 60* V6s) have the starter on the other side of the engine from the RWD block.  I think there is a S-10 bell housing that has pockets for both the fwd and rwd starter locations.  This might have been from the second gen S-10's that had the 2.2l in them.  Engine mount bosses are laid out for transverse mounting. 

You can always build a hybrid, 3.4 rwd block with 3400 crank/rods/pistons/heads/intake.  Gets you the rwd mounts/starter stuff, but you get the better flow/power of the 3400.  Search thirdgen.org.  Several people have worked on using the FWD v6's in rwd f-bodies.

One last thing.  You can rotate the FWD upper intake around 180* so it points forward.  No need to run it into the firewall.  It all matches up.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
11/8/17 1:58 p.m.

If this happens, you're going to have a line of people standing by to drive this thing. cheeky

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/17 2:06 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Dusterbd13 said:

This is gonna be fun 

Probably in a few weeks....  However, mine does have a homemade intake and headers.  Close enough?

Mine will to.

So, perfect!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/17 2:14 p.m.
Mr. Lee said:

If this happens, you're going to have a line of people standing by to drive this thing. cheeky

Oh, it's gonna happen.  Already in the works.  Just a matter of how far it goes.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
11/8/17 2:15 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

According to Google, a full dress longblock is 250lbs

What does that include? Seems about 200lbs short to me if you mean a fully dressed gm v6... 250lbs is lighter than a honda d-series.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LmAyBp2O63AZFvV6guReNhxtqp4rDQzwTJDLsdkL4YyJjmqc1Rd7SNzaHeeQ9fOp