wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
6/8/23 9:18 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I registered for track night in america on the 28th at Charlotte motor speedway. 

Previous roll bar wasn't legal, so i traded stampie for one that is. 

Lotta work to prep for the track night, but I'll be there!

That bar looks familiar!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/8/23 9:58 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I'm not convinced my rev limiter is set that high. Which may explain a lot of things. I am using a 23-in doll Tire.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
6/8/23 10:12 a.m.

Keep in mind, actual diameter tends to be a bit less than "advertised"/spec'd by the manufacturer at the pressures/load they get run at.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
6/8/23 10:44 a.m.

The calculator I am using has been spot on for my rx7 and rx8 using the same drivetrain and tires.  

Me thinks there is something strange going on here.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/8/23 3:11 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I think this calls for some more empirical testing. Once I get it back together, I'll figure out how to datalog the RPM and see what it's actually set at for the rev limiter which I feel is too low. I'll also get the GPS speedometer app up and running again on as many satellites as it'll link to for the most accuracy and see what it's reading.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
6/8/23 4:25 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

The calculator I am using has been spot on for my rx7 and rx8 using the same drivetrain and tires.  

Me thinks there is something strange going on here.

fair enough.  I've had trouble with "thoeretical gearing" not matching "real-world gearing" on an NB running 245's.  We actually jacked the car up, and counted rotations to check the rear-end was right.

So, maybe it's more that the diameter of 15" tires is off?

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
6/8/23 5:07 p.m.

You could always measure the rolling circumference of the tire and ignore the sidewall markings and conversions.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/10/23 5:52 p.m.

Roll bar in. 4 bolts on the saddle to tighten. Package tray needs significant work when i redo the interior. 

Splitter removed, zero toe set. Still have to flush brakes and then its ready-ish for track night in america. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/10/23 6:27 p.m.

where is this episode taking place (track night in AMERICA)?

Dusterbd13-michael
6/10/23 6:34 p.m.

Charlotte motor speedway roval on the 28th.

First motorsports activity for me in a while. Im excited. It'll be wierd to be just a participant, not crew/volunteer/mechanic. 

The mocar is a long way from.done, so the miata will be the ride for a few hpde and tnia.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/11/23 4:03 p.m.

Done. Brakes flushed, toe changed, nut and bolt check, etc.

Need to wash it before it goes under the cover until the 27th.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/12/23 11:01 a.m.

What's the quick release setup for that car? I see it's splined. I have NRG currently, but they get a lot of hate, and I wouldn't mind finding a more solid solution. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
6/12/23 11:06 a.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

What's the quick release setup for that car? I see it's splined. I have NRG currently, but they get a lot of hate, and I wouldn't mind finding a more solid solution. 

I love the NRG.  I have driven about 6 different racecars with the nrg setup and the slop is incredibly minimal compared to most quick releases I have used.

What are you hearing that's bad?

Dusterbd13-michael
6/12/23 11:12 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

That's actually a really good question that I cannot answer. I believe it's a sweet manufacturing unit, but I'm uncertain. I bought it used from Buzz Boy here off the Forum years ago. It actually threads on to the stock steering wheel retaining nut threads and then engages a couple of set screws as well. Really fantastic piece. Sorry I can't be more help. However when I go back to a stock steering wheel, we may be able to do some more work on identifying it.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/12/23 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Ahhh, gotcha.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/12/23 7:08 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Stampie :

46mph bouncing the rev limiter according to gps

This should be 54mph with that rear-end ratio at a redline of 6300 rpm.  What tires are you running?  I assume a 23 inch tall tire.

A 4.11 gear would have you at 47mph in 2nd gear at redline...

Yup. They apparently sent me a 4.11. 46-47mph repeated at 6300rpm rev limiter.  

Makes me a little less happy....

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/12/23 7:16 p.m.

Your harnesses are up to 'spec'?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
6/12/23 7:25 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
wvumtnbkr said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Stampie :

46mph bouncing the rev limiter according to gps

This should be 54mph with that rear-end ratio at a redline of 6300 rpm.  What tires are you running?  I assume a 23 inch tall tire.

A 4.11 gear would have you at 47mph in 2nd gear at redline...

Yup. They apparently sent me a 4.11. 46-47mph repeated at 6300rpm rev limiter.  

Makes me a little less happy....

Bastards.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/26/24 7:32 p.m.

So, the track day last year resulted in a popped fuel line above the passengers header. I parked it briefly till i got time to fix it.

That was 8 months ago. 

In the meantime, the 3.63 torsen has FINALLY arrived, i have scored a set of 205/50/15 rivals and 15x7 kosei k1s,  a full interior, the car has become infested with mice, ive gathered the 3.4 camaro accessories to add power steering and ac, and thats about it.

I have a 52 chevy 3100 in the work bay right now, another 99 miata with a blown motor to sell, and then i can get started on bringing this one out of the grave. To fix the fuel leak will require me to drop the drivetrain out the bottom. I have a feeling this will escalate into a total redo of the majority of the car, as there are MANY aspects im unhappy with after years of living with it. Like the white engine bay and the massive header leaks. 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/28/24 1:43 p.m.

We all know I'm a wheel whore

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
2/28/24 8:27 p.m.

K1's in white - very nice!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/28/24 8:45 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Yes but the man has billet wheels in 4x100.  The man has issues.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/28/24 8:51 p.m.

To scott AND stampie 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/29/24 7:10 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael
2/29/24 7:28 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I can't see the ad due to a private group. Mine screenshot it? Im hoping 5x100....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EjYCVJEAnDW2C84bzniIwHm16RrDrrXcZ49JrRVVk9KloCaYumQLfp5NQ6UVonex