2 3 4 5 6
infernosg
infernosg Reader
4/19/22 9:48 a.m.

In reply to P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) :

215 whp was the furthest I ever pushed my stock block and transmission and it only ever saw street use. I had every bolt on available and 10 psi on a slightly upgraded turbo if I recall correctly. I also seem to remember these turbos not liking high oil pressure at all. It looks like you're using the stock MSP oil feed line so I wouldn't think that a problem but I know guys that made their own lines often used a restrictor at the turbo. I know I did with a -4 AN feed line. The oil return could also be an issue but again, it looks like you have the stock configuration. The aftermarket/DIY solutions always seemed to place the return too low in the pan or had the line kinked in weird ways, which could cause oil to back up to the turbo. With no place to go it blew past the seals.

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) Reader
4/20/22 3:02 p.m.

Onboard video of one (slow) lap around Mosport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3tBv9MkHy8

4/23/22 3:00 p.m.

Transmission is out, and the problem has been found. 

The retaining nut for 5th gear wasn't peened correctly and backed off the shaft, cutting into the end cover. 

The gear itself was able to move on the shaft, pushing on the shirt fork, causing the transmission to kick out of 5th gear. 

Amazingly, there appears to be no other damage, so a new nut and cover, and the transmission will go right back in place.

4/27/22 10:02 a.m.

Got the turbo back from the rebuilder, the turbine wheel has definitely seen better days.

5/9/22 7:26 p.m.

Almost all back together... hitting the track again this weekend.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/10/22 8:32 p.m.

Nice! Hope it goes well.

5/16/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

It did... then it didn't. Clutch go BOOM.

5/18/22 8:51 a.m.

Onboard video of my fastest lap 1:46.1 https://youtu.be/nJLAXuRDtik still lots of room for improvement.

And the clutch going BOOM https://youtu.be/uKRa4ik5HfE while my co-driver was in the car.

5/26/22 11:37 a.m.

The remains of the clutch... the transmission is damaged internally as well, details to come once it's opened up.

6/17/22 1:15 p.m.

Well that's not good.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/18/22 7:35 a.m.

Oh no.  That clutch let go spectacularly.  Do you think the trans broke and sheared the clutch or vice versa?

6/19/22 8:17 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

I think the trans failed first, causing the clutch failure.

7/20/22 4:10 p.m.

A little status update:

Decided to swap the engine, as well as the trans due to oil consumption issues. Unfortunately, a back injury shut me down for a month, so I'm just starting to get things back together now.

The new Bully clutch kit

Lots of room for activities now

The spare long block, dressed and almost ready to drop back in

2 spare transmissions to choose from

8/26/22 11:15 a.m.

It's been a long time coming, but the car is back together, and I'm registered for a lapping day at Mosport/CTMP in September, and the Lucky Dog Canada race at Calabogie the first weekend of October. I can't wait to finally be back on track.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/26/22 1:52 p.m.

In reply to P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) :

And I can't wait for an update!

9/22/22 3:55 p.m.

Shakedown at Mosport didn't last long. Did a total of 7 laps before having to call it a day with a leaking rear main seal. Out with the transmission again.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
9/23/22 7:33 p.m.

I feel bad giving a thumbs-up to that post, but I'm glad to see you fighting the good fight and getting out there.

9/26/22 1:35 p.m.

Trans is out, waiting for a new seal. On the plus side, new wheels arrived :D

9/28/22 8:00 p.m.

New steering rack, replaced rear main seal, and shiney new wheels and tires. Calabogie, here we come!

10/4/22 3:04 p.m.

Well it wasn't the weekend we had hoped for. About 90 minutes into the race Saturday morning, 3rd gear decided it would rather be neutral. We soldiered on for another hour, but eventually retired due to oil leaks that we weren't equipped to fix at the track.

It was my first time driving Calabogie, and it was a blast, definitely worth trying if you have the opportunity. 

Onboard video of my best lap:

https://youtu.be/ieuBwTdboN0

10/7/22 4:05 p.m.

One last pic with new wheels and sponsor decals before I start on the offseason teardown.

P5Racer
P5Racer Reader
3/1/23 2:06 p.m.

It seems I haven't updated this for several months, but the offseason work is progressing slowly.

One engine torn down, and found some fancy Pauter rods inside a largely stock motor. 

Engine parts back from the machine shop. Block and crank were good, but needed new valve guides and seals, which would explain the oil smoke issue from this motor.

Upgraded oil pump courtesy of Doc B Racing. The stock oil system on these cars isn't really designed to handle motorsports, especially endurance racing.

And another piece of the endurance racing puzzle... a Toyota E351 transmission (Corolla/Matrix 2.4L, Scion tC, etc). The factory Mazda gearbox is a known weak point, and there's no concensus on how to make it stronger, so we're working with another Mazdaspeed Protege enthusiast to develop a swap kit for racing (he's already done it for his street car).

More to come as prep continues for our first race weekend, April 22-23 at Shannonville.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/1/23 2:13 p.m.

Thanks for the update!

infernosg
infernosg Reader
3/1/23 2:21 p.m.

Doc B Racing? Holy Hell that's a name I haven't heard in a long time! Good to know he's still around.

P5Racer
P5Racer Reader
3/2/23 10:31 a.m.
infernosg said:

Doc B Racing? Holy Hell that's a name I haven't heard in a long time! Good to know he's still around.

He's still around in some Mazdaspeed Protege FB groups, and he's been very helpful when I have questions about the platform.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X9aMsznU4Lb629hfBAHBOvttqqMgRTedY2WIkE44h9eZUFqomOkdhQ7rZDTRxa9N