mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/31/18 9:58 a.m.

Mrs. Deuce decided that I needed more motivation. Dishes are being done in the bathtub. Fun. 

klipless
klipless Reader
10/31/18 10:37 a.m.

What flooring is that? Vinyl plank? My wife and I want to put something similar in our basement.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/31/18 11:10 a.m.

In reply to klipless :

I like how it assembles so far, easy to work with, and if it lives up to it's warranty then it will be a bargain. Feels like plastic, but it is plastic, so that's to be expected. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
10/31/18 11:25 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Mrs. Deuce decided that I needed more motivation. Dishes are being done in the bathtub. Fun. 

That's why paper plates exist

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/31/18 12:27 p.m.

My plan is to set the sink up in the spare bathtub with a minimalist frame at standing height so that I an wash dishes without kneeling at the edge of the tub.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/31/18 12:33 p.m.
NOHOME said:

My plan is to set the sink up in the spare bathtub with a minimalist frame at standing height so that I an wash dishes without kneeling at the edge of the tub.

Thats genius. And use the shoulwer head threads for a garden hose attachment. Finally a powerful dish sprayer

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/31/18 12:35 p.m.

Dont forget the garbage disposal installed in the tub.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/31/18 12:44 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Spare bathtub would require a second bathroom. If I had hot water in the garage I'd do them there, but I do not. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/31/18 3:51 p.m.

We decided to run the flooring around and into the bathroom. I keep saying I want to put in tile, but I've been saying that for a decade. I had to do some thinking to get this all to work. 

It took three cereal boxes of CAD to get around the toilet. I'm happy with how it turned out. It's better than the picture looks because my toilet sits on a leveling wedge of cement. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/31/18 4:18 p.m.

Even at page 101, this thread still delivers! laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
10/31/18 7:59 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Thanks. It's still fun. 

Mrs. Deuce sent me this picture today. She's been angling for new floor since before that kid was eating pumpkin guts on it. That kid is in college now. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
10/31/18 9:38 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Thanks. It's still fun. 

Mrs. Deuce sent me this picture today. She's been angling for new floor since before that kid was eating pumpkin guts on it. That kid is in college now. 

Not knowing your dear daughters demeanor, but this may be one of those shots that might illicit the 'Dad....really!?!?!???' when shared on the social media highway. Great work on the family unit gathering station.....

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
11/1/18 10:50 a.m.

Great progress! I love how easy those types of flooring go together. Not very messy either.

mazdeuce - Seth
11/1/18 2:52 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

It's good stuff. Cutting it outside cuts WAY down on the mess. 

Once the floor is in pictures are unimpressive. It just looks like a floor. It's all in and I've got $200 in unopened boxes to return because I make fewer mistakes. My gaps are getting better too. 

On to painting trim so I can start putting that up tomorrow. This whole process always takes so much longer than I expect. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
11/2/18 9:31 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

RE: Gapping. 

I've heard, and read on the instructions that most of these floating floors call for a decent gap at the edges to allow for expansion with heat/cool/humidity. That said, in the two I've done I didn't  leave much gap and I haven't has issues. Yours is also all plastic or whatever, so it might not even call for it either.

mazdeuce - Seth
11/2/18 3:53 p.m.

Trim, caulk. One corner first. Move the fridge there. Work my way around the room. 

Starting to look like grownups might live here. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/2/18 3:56 p.m.

Very nice! I love the color palette. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
11/2/18 4:00 p.m.

Go for crown molding!

HikerDan
HikerDan New Reader
11/2/18 6:18 p.m.

Looking good! I'm not completely sure why, but I'm really excited to see your kitchen come together.

mazdeuce - Seth
11/2/18 9:18 p.m.

In reply to HikerDan :

Thanks! I'm mostly excited to be able to work on something that isn't the kitchen. If this were a normal project I'd take a week off and play with the Miata. Kind of hard to do that and still be married. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
11/3/18 12:12 a.m.

well, you have managed to take two weekends off, which is pretty good

sometime tonight I realized you probably shouldn't return those boxes... I reckon there's a pretty good chance you're going to be re-flooring the family room with this stuff before long?

mazdeuce - Seth
11/4/18 7:57 p.m.

Sometimes you wake up in the morning and have a cup of coffee and want to just sit and watch it rain. Then a beautiful woman walks down the stairs and asks "what can I do to help you today?" and that's all it takes to get things moving.

Tomorrow I'll see if I have all the pieces I need to make the sink work again. Historically I do not do well with my plumbing inventory.  I did find it interesting that these cabinets are USA made. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/4/18 8:12 p.m.

Many of them are made here in Ohio at Sauder. I’ve put in four IKEA kitchens and they’re always pretty smooth going. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/4/18 8:58 p.m.

Sadly lots of toys, space, $,  here, but no beautiful woman :(

mazdeuce - Seth
11/5/18 3:04 p.m.

I've never cut a hole in a counter top for a sink and I'm a little nervous about it. A practice run with a leftover piece of plywood has put me at ease. The plumbing is done and we have a sink for tonight. 

The cabinets were adjusted and screwed together and the first bank of six drawers assembled. We're going to have so many drawers. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vStClrw5Vxdi6eC7lvDSWY8rd8hnPpxtsFR1tGt5oY2RZojGVPNLedL3OpRx7wQE