mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/19/19 9:12 p.m.

Kid#2 hitched a ride home in a friend's Jeep. Kids helped me move 38 million books upstairs. All the dehumidifiers running and the humidistat is pretty steady at 30%. Mrs. Deuce figured a route home and then took us out for dinner since the kitchen is full of the living room. 

We had 5 inches of water in the living room. Opening the door to let the water out gets the first four inches. Shop vac gets most of the rest. Many many many buckets of water. Then kids with towels. 

And dehimidifiers for the rest. We're watching TV in the living room now. Tomorrow morning I'll figure out how much of the drywall I have to cut out. Looks like things barely wicked above the baseboard so 12-15 inches should be safe. Let it dry for a few days and put it all back together again.

bluej
bluej UberDork
9/19/19 10:11 p.m.

woof. :-/

I admire your spirit!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/20/19 12:49 a.m.

What’s the highest it’s gone in there?

Maybe it’s time to research those vinyl flooring panels, and use them as a “extra tall kickboard accent thingy” instead running drywall all the way down?

mazdeuce - Seth
9/20/19 9:44 a.m.

Homeownership is suuuuuuper fun. 

I keep reminding myself that my ability to do this sort of work continues to justify my employment status as we shed children to the real world.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/20/19 9:55 a.m.

That sucks. Drywall is not one of my favorite home projects. 

If it floods regularly, I'd have to look into some extra wide baseboards that were easily removed. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/20/19 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Wainscott! 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/20/19 12:55 p.m.

From Mrs. Deuce this morning:

The original purpose of wainscoting was to cover the lower part of walls, which, in houses constructed with poor or non-existent damp-proof courses, are often affected by rising dampness. Its purpose is now decorative.

It's an option. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/20/19 12:58 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Make it out of Hardiplank or Starboard with screws with decorative heads. When it floods, you pull it down and dry the walls. Then screw it back in place. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
9/20/19 1:29 p.m.

Spray the exposed bottom plate and the wall studs with a 50/50 water bleach solution to prevent MOLD. Do you have a well or are you on the MUD water?  Well = at least one whole bottle of bleach down the hole for the very same reasons.

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
9/22/19 5:22 p.m.

sorry seth... i guess if you can't hide it, feature it.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
9/22/19 5:42 p.m.

EEEK! Water in the house is nearly as helpless a feeling as being robbed. Your attitude is inspirational.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/25/19 1:46 p.m.

I have a couple of strategies for motivation. The most popular one is to just ignore things until motivation randomly strikes. Only slightly more successful is leaving project supplies in the way until they annoy me enough to actually do the project and get rid of them. This morning I wanted to clean the shop part of the Grosh but the stupid box of tile was still in the way. This wall is up. Other wall is all laid out. Hopefully I can be done with the grout by the time Mrs. Deuce gets back from her work trip on Saturday. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
9/25/19 3:17 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

...Only slightly more successful is leaving project supplies in the way until they annoy me enough to actually do the project and get rid of them.

Ingegious, I may need to try that approach. Normally, my projects fall into the category of "benign neglect" until they drop to "Why do I STILL have that thing?"

And... the backsplash / tiles are looking good!

KaiserM715
KaiserM715 New Reader
9/25/19 3:38 p.m.

Oooof, that stinks on the flooding.  Thankfully things drained pretty well on the southeast side of town.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/28/19 7:35 p.m.

Killing time before reconstructing the living room. I remembered today that tile is fun and grout sucks. First time doing grout on a vertical surface. That did not make it more fun. One wall looks good. I have autocross tomorrow so I'll finish the other on Monday and then get to grout sealant and what not. Terrible pictures, sorry about that. 

After maybe a year? More than a year? I put the drawer slides and drawers in this cabinet and made a top with the cutout from the kitchen sink. I still need to make a base for it. Also put in the USB outlet so I have a place to charge things. All of this is part of an effort to clean the workbench for the first time in a couple of years. 

I built this building to be nice, and it's a mess. Too much of a mess to finish the things that I haven't finished. I'm stuck in a loop. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/11/20 3:59 p.m.

This thread is making me think I get motivated once a year...... 

My entire history of tool boxes is in the next few pictures. The small top box I got for Christmas in high school. The three drawer under it I bought when we bought our house 20 years ago. 

When I built the Grosh the very first cabinets I tried to build were these for tool hanging. I still like these though I do need to organize them. 

The Honda motorcycles that I've been working on require so few tools that I've been sticking them to the white board. Seldom do I need anything that's not here these days.

But I always meant to do a built in tool chest thing in the space under the stairs where the tool boxes are now. According to my measurements I can fit all of those tools in two drawers. My plan is to build 8-10. Hopefully I can get some things organized so I can use the lift again if I need to. Start with proving to Mrs. Deuce that I totally don't need the truck any more. 

And back to the track saw. 

java230
java230 UberDork
9/11/20 4:13 p.m.

Yay for more grosh! 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/11/20 5:37 p.m.

you need to get the 964 moving again!

mazdeuce - Seth
9/11/20 5:57 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Would you believe me if I told you that this round of organization was taking place with the goal of getting it moving again? It's one of the goals. Not sure if I'll reach it. We'll see. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
9/11/20 6:22 p.m.

What is wrong with the 964?

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/11/20 8:46 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

What is wrong with the 964?

This please. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/11/20 10:53 p.m.

Nothing really. The rubber oil line that goes from the bottom of the crank case to the sump tank is leaking. Needs to be replaced. That requires taking off the exhaust manifolds. That means a bunch of "while you're in there" work. I can't even remember if I took it down before or after the R63 did it's thing, but I haven't quite had it in me to finish. It's just hanging out being pretty and appreciating in value. I'll get to it. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/12/20 1:41 p.m.

That would hurt my soul to see it sitting there accumulating more and more dust.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/14/20 6:13 p.m.

Clampy stuff. I like putting things together. 

The only tough part about this set of drawers, and probably why it took me so long to build them, is that things here aren't quite square. I built all of this, so it's my fault, but I was working with a not square bit of concrete and all of my guessing came together imperfectly at this point. Bit of shimming and things seem to work. Test drawer in the bottom. 

And same drawer in the top. With tools for scale. If this drawer fits and slides nice top and bottom, then I should be able to build all the drawers to match and have them work. I'll add fronts and backs to the rest of them.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/15/20 3:03 p.m.

Six drawers in and I'm out of slides and pocket screws. Ordered more of both. The tool boxes are empty and all of the screwdrivers and pliers and hammers that were hanging are in the drawers too. I'm going to work on some shallow drawers on that wall next. Get even more things off the floor. 

I'm most excited that my oil drain pan fits nicely in the bottom drawer. Since I built the Grosh it's just been in various spots on the floor and inevitably that attracts other stuff and before you know it that whole side of the work bay is a mess. Now it has a home.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vDu3bSVuu5FnYss0tBwVkSHdc8RlVAOwjpv7RwrIzYTLsQBtBseKYDm7T2nLDsiH