105 106 107
Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/15/20 3:05 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I don't think I've fully grokked the oil drain pain as vortex of filth generation, but I think you might be on to something...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/15/20 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

For.what it's worth, this is where I pulled the drain pan from to put it in the drawer. Roughly a year ago (ok, maybe two years) it was the only thing in this spot. Stuff just gathers around it. No more!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
9/15/20 7:51 p.m.

Keep fighting the good fight!

mazdeuce - Seth
9/16/20 11:09 a.m.

Benjamin Franklin. We learn in elementary school that he was a founding father, did the key/kite thing, gave us wisdom like "a penny saved us a penny earned", and also invented bifocals. 

Later we learn that he was anadvocate of walking for exercise of the body and mind, the kite thing was probably BS, he liked outdoor air baths when the weather was right, and recommended befriending French widows whenever possible. Fascinating well rounded guy. Also, bifocals. 

If you dig deep enough you can even find people that didn't like him, though some of that deals with befriending French women who weren't widows. But even those people mention the bifocals. 

Today I got new safety glasses. 

Cheap bifocal safety glasses. These are a game changer. Now I get why everyone always mentions the bifocals. They're a big deal. 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/16/20 11:28 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yup, I got some similar bifocal safety glasses a few months ago - huge difference.  Probably makes me safer in the garage, since I wear them so that I can see not just to protect my eyes.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/16/20 12:43 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

I agree. This really came about because I stumbled on to a thing where someone hot glued a magnet to the stem of their glasses and then stuck them to things in order to find them. 

I stuck a pair of safety glasses and my new-ish reading glasses to the white board where I've started to stick my bike tools. I find myself putting the reading glasses on almost every time I do work, even work where I should really be wearing the safety glasses, but they're down on my nose so I can look over them which renders they fairly useless for safety. Hopefully that's fixed now. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/16/20 1:21 p.m.

I have a set of these for driving:
https://www.amazon.com/DPG59-215C-Reinforcer-Rx-Bifocal-Performance-Protective/dp/B000646VGC/ref=sr_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=dewalt+bifocal+safety+glasses&qid=1600280340&sr=8-31

and clear ones for garage work. I have lots of cheap HF safety glasses all over the place, but am finding that the bifocal part makes things *so* much better!

mazdeuce - Seth
9/16/20 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

I realized while mowing the lawn today that I now need a set of bifocal safety sunglasses too. Thanks for the link. 

Jah29
Jah29 New Reader
9/16/20 5:20 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Benjamin Franklin. We learn in elementary school that he was a founding father, did the key/kite thing, gave us wisdom like "a penny saved us a penny earned", and also invented bifocals. 

Later we learn that he was anadvocate of walking for exercise of the body and mind, the kite thing was probably BS, he liked outdoor air baths when the weather was right, and recommended befriending French widows whenever possible. Fascinating well rounded guy. Also, bifocals. 

If you dig deep enough you can even find people that didn't like him, though some of that deals with befriending French women who weren't widows. But even those people mention the bifocals. 

Today I got new safety glasses. 

Cheap bifocal safety glasses. These are a game changer. Now I get why everyone always mentions the bifocals. They're a big deal. 

Omg!  These exist!  Just ordered three pairs.  Thanks.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/20 5:25 p.m.

Three pairs... I have prescription bifocal safety glasses.  Three pairs would cost nearly as much as a Challenge car... I would like to have a second pair since the ones I have are mainly for work (in pharma clean rooms) and I'd rather not subject them to shop abuse/dirt.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/16/20 6:19 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I'm slightly surprised that none of the discount online eyeglass places have that as an option. Knowing all of the terrible things I've done to my cheap safety glasses, I'd hate to have to worry about ones that were worth actual money. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/16/20 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

A guy that works with me got prescription bifocal safety glasses at Wal Mart. Cost him ~$225. He gave me the receipt so that I could reimburse him, so I know there are "cheaper" ones out there. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/16/20 11:06 p.m.

When I talked to my opthalmologist about "music glasses" (single vision focus point about 2 ft to 4 ft, for typical music stand distance sitting and standing - right at the bad distance for both bifocal lenses.  Also work great for computers!) he told me about a mechanic who had bifocals made with the near vision on top and the distance on the bottom because he was usually looking somewhat up at close work.  He knew exactly what I wanted, turns out he used to play trumpet and did exactly the same thing.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/6/20 4:28 p.m.

Boxes. Everything is a box. More and more boxes. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
10/6/20 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

My problem is always finding frames that fit my head.  The cheap options never do.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/7/20 8:00 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

My problem is always finding frames that fit my head.  The cheap options never do.

For just reading glasses, I've found the Members Mark multipacks at Sam's club suit broader heads with springy temples. 

collinskl1
collinskl1 Reader
10/7/20 8:28 a.m.

Have you found any major changes in your requirements for storage/workspace with the shift towards or increase in two wheeled activities?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
10/7/20 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

I have 20:600 vision (near-sighted).  I can only see the "E" because I know that's what it is.  I need my glasses to read my laptop screen, which is maybe 20" away from my eyes.

In most ways, the bifocals have been worthless to me since they don't work if anything is closer than 12" from my face.  If I need to work on something intricate I end up putting my glasses on my forehead and holding the object really close. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/7/20 9:37 a.m.
collinskl1 said:

Have you found any major changes in your requirements for storage/workspace with the shift towards or increase in two wheeled activities?

Sort of? Mostly bike jobs are quick and require just a handful of tools. I can do everything on the Hondas with 8,10,12,14,17,19, a JIS #2 phillips and 5 and 6 mm allen. I'm not going to dig through tool drawers for that so those are out on a tool board and and now I almost never open the drawers which makes my tool storage a long term proposition. But the flip side is that there is a lot of smaller maintenance/tinkering/tire changes on the bikes that requires taking off body panels and wheels and what not and as everyone here knows, a disassembled vehicle takes us 3-10 times the space that an assembled one does. My daughters 70 was stripped to the frame to get some welding done on it and it there were parts EVERYWHERE for almost a month. 

Right now I want to get the 911 moved and on the lift but I have to figure out how to clean everything else up first. It's an issue. 

Edit: as a "for instance", the main reason I built the upper boxes was to use their top surface as a shelf for wheels/tires that I need to keep but aren't currently on bikes. Prior to this morning, they were leaning against every available inch of wall in the Grosh. I feel better now. 

105 106 107

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yyD58klNJS71lffALWg1HS5BFsunBl2kncvKSflWx4cHHcmdreUxVBei1Scd49sk