1 2 3 4 5
mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/3/13 3:26 p.m.

Right now Vigo has dibs on the motor. If he ends up not wanting it then I'll move from there. I also have some wheels that will need a new home and I need to post pictures of them.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/3/13 3:31 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Interested in the wheels if right size that I need

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/3/13 8:51 p.m.

I put the wheels in the classifieds section. If you drive a Focus and want heavy 16 inch stock wheels then you're in luck. Or, if you drive a turbo dodge or something else that has 5x100 but don't have big brakes, I've got just the 14 inch wheels for you. The 14 inchers even come with genuine vintage rally tires that you'd probably be a fool to actually drive on.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/3/13 9:51 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

35 gallons of old oil??? Good grief... and here I was thinking the 8 gallons in my under-lift container was bad. I was happy when I found out Advance accepts used oil. I'll probably retire the 8 gal container and go back to normal catch pans now that I don't have access to the ex-g/f's twp recycling center.

I also took advantage of the $5 battery gift card deal.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/3/13 9:56 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I put the wheels in the classifieds section. If you drive a Focus and want heavy 16 inch stock wheels then you're in luck. Or, if you drive a turbo dodge or something else that has 5x100 but don't have big brakes, I've got just the 14 inch wheels for you. The 14 inchers even come with genuine vintage rally tires that you'd probably be a fool to actually drive on.

Neither works. Needed 15"

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
9/3/13 10:44 p.m.

poor k car

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/4/13 11:51 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: poor k car

Kind of. I bought it to be a shell for a project. It ran, but rough, so I didn't even test drive it. Got about 200 yards down the road and the transmission took a E36 M3. I brought it home, stripped it pretty much bare, swapped a 2.5 T1 and a 5 speed into it and autocrossed it. It was supposed to be a challenge car, like the Scaries, but probably not done that well. You could be sad that it's sitting like it is, or happy that I gave it at least one more brief chance at glory. All cars die, but not all cars live.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/4/13 11:56 a.m.

This isn't the first time that I've been motivated to get the garage in order. In fact, I've done it at least twice before. Why I never touched the roof is a bit of a mystery, even to me, but I did make honest attempts at the inside. One of my clever ideas was shelves. I figured that I'd make them huge, all the better to hold more stuff. They were 8 feet long and three feet deep. They ended up sucking. I always put too much stuff on them and I could never reach anything in the back. They didn't help me organize, they helped me lose things. I'll never build shelves that deep again, it was dumb. They're gone now.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr HalfDork
9/4/13 11:58 a.m.

That is a great point. I think I was just about to make that same mistake.

Thanks!

Rob R.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/5/13 10:08 a.m.

Good work! If I had a garage I would go clean/organize it! I guess I could put my camping gear from last weekend back in the storage shed...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/8/13 1:58 p.m.

The front of the garage is clean. I power washed the floor and used the blower from the old dead bounce house as a giant blow drier. Worked pretty good. All of the stuff on the left hand side of the picture is either trash or oil for recycling. I technically have unlimited garbage pickup, but in practice it pays not to make the garbage guys have a bad day. I'll dole stuff out 3 or 4 bags at a time twice a week over the next 3 or 4 weeks. It will take me about that long to get the oil recycled anyway so everything is good.
I had been itching to get at tearing the roof off right away but there has been a slight change in plans. My wife came out to admire my handiwork and said "holy E36 M3, you could park two cars in here!". A bit more chatting led us to the realization that we have 6 more weeks of solid hurricane season left and it would really suck to tear the roof off and then have a hurricane blow in. No huge hurry, I'll wait until hurricane season is done to start tearing it apart. I have some more organization to do anyway on stuff in the back. I'm pretty fatigued at sorting and such and the last bit of work was not as good as I'd like. I also have a lot of stuff outside the building to organize and pitch before I really run out of stuff to do.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/8/13 2:49 p.m.

few tips top pass on:

pressure wash and paint the shop floor NOW. before doing anything else. otherwise you never ill.

add outlets about every 2 feet.

paint all the walls white.

storage should be 18-24 deep. no more, or stuff gets lost. I do right at 24 for bottoms cabinets, 18 for top. lets more light onto the horizontal crap collectors that I designed as orkbenches.

Michael

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Reader
9/8/13 3:29 p.m.

Wow- great work!

Look at all that SPACE! I'm envious and have enjoyed your thread immensely. I'm starting to think out my own garage cleaning/rearranging project. Naturally, I will post it here as a project...

mazdeuce wrote: The front of the garage is clean. I power washed the floor and used the blower from the old dead bounce house as a giant blow drier. Worked pretty good. All of the stuff on the left hand side of the picture is either trash or oil for recycling. I technically have unlimited garbage pickup, but in practice it pays not to make the garbage guys have a bad day. I'll dole stuff out 3 or 4 bags at a time twice a week over the next 3 or 4 weeks. It will take me about that long to get the oil recycled anyway so everything is good. I had been itching to get at tearing the roof off right away but there has been a slight change in plans. My wife came out to admire my handiwork and said "holy E36 M3, you could park two cars in here!". A bit more chatting led us to the realization that we have 6 more weeks of solid hurricane season left and it would really suck to tear the roof off and then have a hurricane blow in. No huge hurry, I'll wait until hurricane season is done to start tearing it apart. I have some more organization to do anyway on stuff in the back. I'm pretty fatigued at sorting and such and the last bit of work was not as good as I'd like. I also have a lot of stuff outside the building to organize and pitch before I really run out of stuff to do.
dj06482
dj06482 Dork
9/8/13 8:02 p.m.

Great progress!

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
9/8/13 9:06 p.m.

Nice work, keep it up!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/8/13 9:12 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I'm not sure parking anything in that garage during hurricane season is a good idea with the roof in that condition. A high wind could get under it and tear it to shreds, dumping what's left on the contents below.

Otherwise - looks great!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/8/13 9:18 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: . A bit more chatting led us to the realization that we have 6 more weeks of solid hurricane season left and it would really suck to tear the roof off and then have a hurricane blow in. No huge hurry, I'll wait until hurricane season is done to start tearing it apart.

Why do it yourself when Mother Nature still has a shot at doing it for you!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/9/13 2:15 p.m.

Do you know how berkeleying cool it is to work on clean dry concrete? Do you? I do.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/9/13 3:43 p.m.

this is really inspiring...cant wait till I have a garage capable of housing more than one car...well, technically, I cant wait until I have a garage capable of housing a single car. The attached garage at our rental is still full of the previous tenants stuff, so we cant even park one of our cars in it right now...

sigh

anyway, good work deuce, youve got a lot of good momentum going...dont let pesky acts of god stop you

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/9/13 10:54 p.m.

Man I need a garage! I can't wait until I can have a toolbox nearby, a compressor nearby, lights, shade from the sun, etc. As fun as it is running back and forth from the parking lot to my living room (yes, my toolbox is in my living room)...

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/9/13 10:54 p.m.

Oh, and that is a crapload of oil!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/10/13 2:18 p.m.

Recycled five more gallons of oil and then spent way too much time chasing electrons around the garage. Stupid electrons. Finally found a bad jumper in a box that had never been hooked up when the power was half run 10 years ago. I need to disconnect all of the circuits in the front of the garage except the lights and hook up the back ones which is opposite of how it has been set up. The garage has been run off it's own 20 amp circuit from the house box. This has worked ok as I've been really careful about how much power I'm using at any one time. The pain is that every time the circuit blew today I had to walk all the way back in to reset it. I'll finish unwiring the front of the garage tomorrow.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
9/10/13 11:08 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I'll probably retire the 8 gal container and go back to normal catch pans now that I don't have access to the ex-g/f's twp recycling center.

Did they change the filter from Bob Costas to recycling center?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/11/13 9:19 a.m.

Wiring on live circuits can save time, but it can also be slightly painful. Don't be like Mazdeuce, flip that breaker off. The re-wire is done. Lights are back on and there is a live four outlet box in the way back corner. I can disconnect the front lights in five minutes when it comes time to rip that part of the building off. I'll flip the breaker first.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
9/12/13 12:03 p.m.

Good advice- turn the breaker off. It only takes a little more than 6 milliamperes following the right path to kill you.

That breaker is not there to protect you.

mazdeuce wrote: Wiring on live circuits can save time, but it can also be slightly painful. Don't be like Mazdeuce, flip that breaker off. The re-wire is done. Lights are back on and there is a live four outlet box in the way back corner. I can disconnect the front lights in five minutes when it comes time to rip that part of the building off. I'll flip the breaker first.
1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YPt8Hjp3yKvy07rlocjy3DSmtaUIS05FioJxN5HJaQRD9z3OX6bn3NXrn8onOTew