1 2 3 4
Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/17/22 8:16 a.m.

Out of order, but a quick little sub-project: shifter tower, shift boot, and bezel.

Eventually the shift boot will be proper leather, but for now it's a cheap vinyl so I can make sure the patter works out.

I did some more hammer forming for the top of the shift tower and sent a file off to SendCutSend for the bezel. I played around in CAD and managed to make a flat pattern for the boot, which worked really well.

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/18/22 9:13 a.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/18/22 9:23 a.m.

Boost!!! 

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/18/22 10:49 a.m.

We'll see if it works out. I'm already planning on running sequential injection EFI (probably Megasquirt based), so I figured might as well have a look at adding boost. I just finished up a DIY Miata Turbo build running Megasquirt, and I love the noises the thing makes (even if it's not actually fast).

I'm looking at common intercooler sizes to evaluate packaging. Mocked up a 25x12x3.5, and there is very nearly enough room in front of the radiator without chopping up the car more.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/18/22 3:11 p.m.

Wondering about the front cross member, will it be heavily modified and what suspension components are you using? 

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/18/22 4:03 p.m.

Way back, I cut a big notch out of the front crossmember for clearance to the motor. Turns out it don't need much cut out with the motor as far back as it is. My current thoughts are use the stock front geometry and parts but with the Armstrong lever arm dampers and coil spring swapped out for a fabricated upper arm and coilovers mount.

I'm hoping to borrow a friend's 3D scanner to map out the front inner fenders and rear underbody. I'll probably work things out in CAD from there.

If you squint you can see the big notch cut out here:

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/19/22 6:48 p.m.

Let's see if I can work my way out of the packaging challenge I've created for myself

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/19/22 9:27 p.m.

That looks like it might even be more fun than I am having fitting a turbo in a Europa....

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/19/22 10:04 p.m.

I vote ITB's and a lumpy cam ............

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/19/22 10:19 p.m.

This lumpy divot in the inner fender might be the best candidate I've found so far

I'll noodle over this some more. I'm not seeing "impossible" yet. Best time to evaluate is now, while I'm still doing big sections of sheet metal work.

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/19/22 10:28 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

The TCST is rad. I'll definitely be following along.

The 302 has a similar notch out of the oil pan where I can route the driver's side exhaust, and I can dump from the turbo through the fender. The rest of it is hard.

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/21/22 7:06 p.m.

Flange is actually attached, and the hole in the shifter turret embiggened.

I used some #10-32 weld nuts on the back side of the turret. They are pretty low profile and can self center.

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/21/22 7:08 p.m.

Access to the shifter plate hardware is pretty great.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/22/22 3:16 p.m.

MGB GT is on the list of cars I was looking for when I found TSCT (it found me)...looking forward to watching your progress!

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/22/22 4:18 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

They do seem to just find us. Pretty sure I didn't even know the GT existed until I bought it.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
9/22/22 4:40 p.m.

Sweeeet the execution on your shifter bezel came out great.

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/22/22 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

Thanks! I've got to make a trip to the local leather store to score some proper animal hide for the boot, and then figure out if / how I'm going to upholster the tower and (the rest of the car, I guess).

I don't want a full oem-like interior, but I'm not sure I want full racecar either.

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/23/22 8:48 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Why not both boost, and lumpy cam?

I tore into the top end yesterday, just to check over things. Seems like the motor was assembled and immediately stored. Still has assembly lube everywhere. There was some sort of red goop in the cylinders as well. Looks in good shape for the most part.

Cylinder 1 has seen some action. Cylinder walls look ok, but the piston has had some fun with something.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/23/22 3:36 p.m.

Enjoying your packaging solutions. Love the shifter tower.

Is the red goop ATF?

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/23/22 7:25 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Thanks. Packaging is hard. Packaging is fun.

Could be ATF. I guess I haven't tasted enough ATF to say one way or another. Whatever it is, it seemed to prevent this thing from getting ruined during the years it was being used for acorn storage:

I Got a package today. It should mostly fit, but I'll probably have to pie cut some Aluminum to get the inlet / outlet in the right direction. 

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/23/22 10:32 p.m.

Nice!

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/26/22 4:46 p.m.

Just a concept at this point...

This is assuming I use schedule 40 stainless pipe and cast elbows in 1 1/4 inch. Trying to see if I can do a 4:1 collector on this side as well, so most of this routing is to put that hypothetical collector where I have the most room.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
9/26/22 5:03 p.m.

Great build so far!  By the way, I'm taking this:  "embiggened."

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
9/26/22 5:05 p.m.

I'd be very tempted to go with a log manifold, you shouldn't be hurting for power. It isn't very flashy though.

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/26/22 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

Yeah, log is probably the "right" answer, and I might still end up there, but I might as well try flashy first.

Mocking up with Sch 40 1 1/4" PVC and some 3D printed elbows. I think any way I do this getting exhaust to the T4 flange is going to be the hard part. I can dump the turbo outlet right out the inner fender.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FC3ukwOy47RhWzEWOi7lSLWGhTGNVqlEQNTh4PLV7d0Vip1fcsFwgtT0nrnTPMCp