1 2 3
jstancel
jstancel Reader
9/7/16 7:46 a.m.

I am at a crossroad in my life. I want another Miata but I also want a small fuel efficient truck. I decided to have both, in one vehicle.

First a very well used and rarely maintained $400 dollar Miata. The weight reduction and clearance for the new body has begun.

The truck is a Ford Courier (really a Mazda to keep it in the family) from a local salvage yard. It has been sitting in the woods since 2005.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/7/16 7:48 a.m.

I already like where this is going.

jstancel
jstancel Reader
9/7/16 7:54 a.m.

Lots of cleaning and today there will be lots of cleaning. I forgot to mention my ridiculous goals:

1. Complete for less than $1000

2. Finish in 1 week

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
9/7/16 8:21 a.m.

Well are you done yet?

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
9/7/16 8:33 a.m.

Wow. Love this project.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
9/7/16 8:34 a.m.

Yes!

Love this. Is it done yet?!?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
9/7/16 8:53 a.m.

You're ambitious! It would take me more than a week to make a work space in the garage

I also love the idea.

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
9/7/16 9:02 a.m.

Sweet jeebus.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
9/7/16 9:24 a.m.

Can't wait to see the final build.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
9/7/16 9:27 a.m.

Well damn, I suppose someone had to do it eventually.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
9/7/16 9:31 a.m.

you are gonna need this truck to haul around all its greatness when its done.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/7/16 9:47 a.m.

While we're waiting, here's how you do it with a Datsun.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446-project-mx520-top-secret/

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/7/16 10:20 a.m.

In reply to jstancel:

Finished in a week!
Under $1,000
That will give you ample time to then head down to The Challenge in Gainesville, FL on Sept 30th with the completed truck.
Guaranteed magazine coverage and highly likely for additional feature space within the magazine.

This also puts you in a perfect position to return again the following year, even more improved, to The Challenge and compete in the much rumored Pickup Truck sub-class of 2017.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
9/7/16 12:48 p.m.

I am in awe of your work speed.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/7/16 1:01 p.m.

How are you going to rectify the wheelbase?

NA miata 89.2 inches

Courier 104 inches

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
9/7/16 1:16 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: How are you going to rectify the wheelbase? NA miata 89.2 inches Courier 104 inches

Like this, Maybe?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/7/16 1:29 p.m.

Subscribed

The0retical
The0retical Dork
9/7/16 1:33 p.m.

Oh this looks like fun.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/7/16 1:34 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: How are you going to rectify the wheelbase? NA miata 89.2 inches Courier 104 inches
Like this, Maybe?

An old truck box would probably be the easiest altered wheelbase job ever. Though shortening the box itself wouldn't be much more work and it would be lighter.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/7/16 3:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: While we're waiting, here's how you do it with a Datsun. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446-project-mx520-top-secret/

Not sure why I like this as much as I do, but man, I want to get behind the wheel of that thing!

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
9/7/16 4:13 p.m.

Put the cab on then build one of these over whatever is left uncovered behind the cab?

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
9/7/16 4:47 p.m.

Man, I love this forum!

I to am curious about the wheel base problem... I suspect, section the truck body up and weld it back to gether... maybe as a uni-body?

Now, I wanna build one... like it wasn't already hard enough to ignore the cheap Miatas

jstancel
jstancel Reader
9/7/16 8:32 p.m.

The wheelbase is easily fixed by making a shorter bed.

My real issue of the day was the width of the rocker panels. I looked up track width and it seemed like everything would jive. I was wrong! The rockers were several inches more narrow on the Courier compared to the Miata. With the width of the truck rockers and the general deplorable condition I decided to punt on the Courier. This means I am back on the hunt for a new truck.

If the measurement issue was not embarrassing enough, I lost a strap holding the cab in my bed which landed me here.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
9/7/16 9:06 p.m.

Best laid plans....don't punt. Fourth and long. GO FOR IT!!!!!!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
9/7/16 10:12 p.m.

What if you keep the Miata front end, but graft the bed on the back?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cdRK3LPGkgFTYuTtmEpWPCbnYSbV0EMTR8MxFpCgFxDZZK34xMd2vUlE32S4vVIC