BeauVS
BeauVS
2/6/22 1:19 p.m.

Probably a beat to death debate, but I'm looking for weigh-ins about the best all around solution to add some additional power to my 93 MX-5.

The car: 93 Miata with a healthy low mileage 1.6. Has all supporting mods *brakes, suspension, cooling, tires etc* for track use but sees a lot of street time as well.

The goal: Looking to aim for a range of 150-180ish at the wheels. Nothing crazy as I want it to still be reliable, have good street manners, retain a naturally aspirated feel but have just more punch on track.

The options: Since the current engine is healthy I've thought about trying to find a Rotrex kit for my 1.6.

I've also considered a VVT swap out of an 01-05 with a mild NA build as these engines have a lot more to offer should I want more down the road.

The last option I've considered is to wait and spend the extra $$ on a K-swap. For power its probably the best answer, but the its also hard to justify used C5 money in a Miata so it becomes a bit of a dilemma.

Seeing as this car isnt built for competition, sees a lot of street time with maybe a dozen or less track events a year I want to be both realistic with both the budget and end goals. I also don't want to compromise the reliability aspect of the car since I put a lot of miles on it in the summers.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
2/6/22 4:31 p.m.

Any reason not to consider turbo-ing the 1.6? That's probably only going to get you at the lower end of the range, but depending on what the Rotrex kit does for ECU work, those two might be the least problematic conversions.

For both the K swap and the VVT swap, you're looking at wiring and ECU fun on top of the mechanical side.

Personally, unless you want to fiddle with tunes for a while, the easiest approach might be a turbo or s/c with a pre-configured piggyback that only kicks in under boost. That way the stock ECU is still running the show when it comes to cold start, idle and all the other little details that take a while to work out if you try to map it yourself.

BeauVS
BeauVS New Reader
2/6/22 7:07 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

For me personally I've just never been fond of the driving characteristics of a turbo car. I like the linear powerband of an NA motor.

I also dont like adding the complexity or failure points a bolt-on turbo setup adds to the equation.

No matter what option you pick I believe a standalone ecu, with a proper tune, is necessary to actually get the full gain out of whichever route you choose. If you're going to spend the money you may as well spend the extra and have it setup and dyno tuned properly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n4eTtcFCwYltXHLKQoVYK5w92X0uKGVM1sN35NxpkUcA9QQv8n1QJsx0Dt0bO0CK