2 3 4 5 6
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/21 10:32 a.m.

OMG box-flared Capri takes me to such a happy place. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
6/2/21 11:20 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

Thanks for that!  That will definitely be helpful.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
6/2/21 11:25 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

The Perana flares look great on a street car.  yes

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
6/10/21 10:11 p.m.

Gotta love eBay for stuff like out of print books... laugh

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
6/11/21 12:41 a.m.

Yeah, that is a great book.

When I bought my Capri, the one I have now, back in 1997, a copy of that book, and David Vizards Pinto tuning book, was included.

I actually suspect that there was some kind of sign there...

Gustaf

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
6/11/21 1:37 p.m.

I also have a copy of that book.  Steve Saxty  has also written a number of books both about sporty Eruopean Fords and has one just on the Capri.

He lives in NY and attends a number of European Ford car gatherings. I believe he will be in Bowling Green, KY at the end of Sept. for a Capri meet. 

https://capriclub.com/sw2021.htm?fbclid=IwAR3Tft7CMnHtrrjGu95qPSD1j5tJ122-Exqh1eGllW0ufOGS8L2M8YbJDXc

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/9/21 4:44 p.m.

Well, I'm still trying to finish the book, and have been doing research on other stuff.

Since the thread can use a relatively pointless bump, I bought a couple more Capris... little ones, anyway.

I bought this Minichamps RS3100 almost 20 years ago:

And a stocker joined it about 10 years ago.

And while looking for some Capri parts, I discovered Minichamps is now doing a Capri with 1st Gen flares.  So I bought two.

An RS2600 in Grab livery:

And a plain white one, so I can test my paint plans, when the time comes... 

I'm disappointed the new Minichamps don't have the opening hood, doors and trunk, nor the detail of the RS3100.  Then again, the RS3100 seems to be trading at 2-3 times the price I paid for it 20 years ago.

Hoping to order some parts soon... just have to make some decisions on our NA Miata so I can determine what I can spend on the Capri this summer.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
7/12/21 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Don't we all have to make some NA Miata decisions? I haven't worked on mine in years, but have to many specific pieces I made for it to close the door on that project, so it got shelved for the time being. Just remember...I want your old MKI Capri seats. I can't find Capri parts on this side of the country.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
7/12/21 8:04 p.m.

I've got some mk1 Capri seats you can have for the price of shipping. No sliders but otherwise complete. Have the backseat too if that's any use. In CA though so shipping could be rough. GRM relay?

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/12/21 8:45 p.m.

I expect it will be quite a while before I'm at the point where I'll be ready to let my seats go, so if you guys can work something out... yes

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
7/13/21 8:28 a.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

I may well take you up on that. Shipping would have to be truck freight(IE, strap them to a pallet and I would be able to schedule a pickup though picking up from a business is much easier for freight). Since they would be going into my '66 Mustang I would need to adapt the Mustang sliders anyway(They look very similar to the early mustang seats, but with much better side bolstering, which is why I want them)

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
7/13/21 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

Sounds good, I'm sure I can find a pallet if you do decide you want them.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/11/21 12:50 p.m.

Absolutely nothing going on on the Capri front, as my attention is on my NB Miata at the moment.

Well, 2 more of the tires went flat...

And this just showed up on BAT...

BAT: 1973 Capri Race Car

Watching with interest.... 

Also, noting for posterity (and so I can find the info in a year!) this car is sitting on 15x8 and 15x9 wheels with 225/45 and 275/50 hoosiers.

Ninja edit, also for posterity:  the above car sold for $27k on BAT.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/28/22 4:44 p.m.

This morning another Mk1 Racer went on BAT... This one brought $26k:  BAT - 1971 Capri Race Car

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/28/22 4:52 p.m.

And something actually happened with my project Capri (well, not that much, really).

I had to drive to a freight terminal in Phoenix this morning to pick something up...

And, as always happens when you have to pick up an uncovered load, it rained on the way home.

But, I got it home safely.  The load?  1st gen Cologne style flares.  laugh

Since the flared fenders were central to my vision for the car, and there are really only two sources for them in the US, I figured I'd better get them early, before either of the guys that make them retire!  Unfortunately, not much else is going on with the car right now, though I do hope to pull the GM engine/trans in the near future just to make the car easier to move around.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/28/22 5:13 p.m.

Hijacking your thread since you've posted Capri's for sale; are you seeing many of these for sale that aren't racers selling on BAT?  Are you a part of any Capri-specific online resources like the old Capri List that died when Yahoo killed groups?  I've been wanting to find another mk1 as a project basis but haven't really seen any for sale save for a dismantled project up in the Seattle area for $10k.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
7/28/22 5:19 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Hijacking your thread since you've posted Capri's for sale; are you seeing many of these for sale that aren't racers selling on BAT?  Are you a part of any Capri-specific online resources like the old Capri List that died when Yahoo killed groups?  I've been wanting to find another mk1 as a project basis but haven't really seen any for sale save for a dismantled project up in the Seattle area for $10k.

There is the facebook group Capri World (North America)  They usually have something come up for sale every couple weeks.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/28/22 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

Cool!  Thanks for the recommendation.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/28/22 5:47 p.m.

I'm also on the Capri World NA Failbook group.  I do see cars for sale there from time to time, but honestly haven't paid a lot of attention there.  Most of the Capri forums on the 'net appear to be Australian/Euro and are mostly dead anyway.

I posted the box-flared Capri just for the sake of posterity, and really only posted the blue one since it sold the same day I happened to be updating the thread.  Track modified Capris are about a once a year thing (if that) on BAT.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
7/28/22 6:18 p.m.

How did I not see this! I had 4 Capris....sold the last one in 1989 for 75 bucks....a 1973 V6 4 speed....I'd pay many times that to have that one back. Then in the 1990s I got letters from the police impound yard warning me about my 1976 2300 car that I gave to my cousin and he was supposed to transfer the title over...guess he never did...that one had a perfect beige/ red interior and a zero rust white body...the one day ALL Capris in the USA vanished...sigh. Following this build! 

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
7/28/22 9:54 p.m.

Perfect candidate for a EcoBoost swap.

TurboFource
TurboFource New Reader
7/29/22 5:00 p.m.

One of my favorite (maybe favorite) cars was the '73 Capri I owned while I was at Beale AFB in northern California around '85 - '87 ...It was a 2.0 that I put Thunderbird headers (cut the collector off, reworked it and welded back together), Allison ignition, rejetted carb and 2-1/2" exhaust with Sonic Turbo muffler (dang it sounded good) and Capri II factory mags. I actually went to Dobi when I was in Socal to pick up suspension bushings for it. The guy showed me their Capri II with 2.8 turbo, flares, whaletail etc....

I looked for a Capri and couldn't find one and bought a Europa....got one?

I was going to put a 302 and Toploader 4 speed in it (didn't know there was a Perana...) even built a custom oil pan to clear the steering rack but then decided I needed a '65 Mustang Fastback.....

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/29/22 5:18 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

Definitely going n/a V6.  Maaaaybe a V8 (302).  

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/29/22 5:19 p.m.
TurboFource said:

I actually went to Dobi when I was in Socal to pick up suspension bushings for it. The guy showed me their Capri II with 2.8 turbo, flares, whaletail etc....

I remember that car!

I owned my '74 from '84-'87, so same timeframe. 

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
7/29/22 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Maybe start looking in the UK / EU for the Cosworth 24V version of the 2.9 that Ford put into the Granada?

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SClUuLNxouP9kjSqJCI8INk9Lw10uhtpb3wOv36wMMYKulSmVYeFun8hWCQHzUxN