4 5 6 7 8
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/20/22 12:33 a.m.

I'm really curious how well that rear suspension setup works.  In theory it should be really great and a huge improvement over factory.  The torque arm going from small round tubes to large box tube in the middle wasn't what I expected to see... What's the front suspension like?  Still using the factory lower control arms or something else?  Kind of assuming something else due to the Wilwood brakes + how the rest of the car has changed from stock.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/20/22 1:24 p.m.

Didn't have a lot of time this morning, but I was able to pop a wheel off and take a couple of pics.

Looks like a rear link was added, and the front beefed up a bit, in addition to the coilover conversion.  Lots of overspray, which is a little disappointing.  Also disappointing was the cheap (and heavy!) china cast wheel.

I hope to get the car up on stands this week and take a good survey of the underside.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/20/22 1:35 p.m.

Found the wheels, I think.  "Vision Nitro"....  Specs list 21lbs for a 15 x8. surprise

Anyone know who makes decent wheels on 4x108mm (4x4.25) in 15x8 - 15x10ish?

Too bad they're not 4x100... got a few of those laying around.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
11/20/22 1:43 p.m.

That looks like the factory control arm turned backwards so they interface with the added rear link and then a non-stock anti-roll bar that attaches in a non-stock way.  The welds on that upright in the second picture don't look awesome...  Looks like an awesome project that just needs sorting and some tweaks and development. 

I ran Fox body Mustang wheels from a four cylinder car on my Capri.  Should be a lot of options going that route, but probably a lot of heavy stuff there as well. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/20/22 1:58 p.m.

Found an old SCCA log book in the docs I got with the car...

Looked great in the earlier livery!

First outing in the log book was 1999...

The last entry was 2009.  From the notes, it looks like the Cossie went in ~2007.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/20/22 2:04 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I ran Fox body Mustang wheels from a four cylinder car on my Capri.  Should be a lot of options going that route, but probably a lot of heavy stuff there as well. 

Yeah, that was the first thing I searched, but like you said, heavy and mostly drag oriented if they're 15". 

twentyover
twentyover Dork
11/20/22 2:40 p.m.

Is the rear suspension a three link or a torque arm?I'm be real interested in seeing more pictures of the links and rear spring turrets (and reinforcements, is used) 

I have a street MkII I've started building a torque are setup for, hence my interest

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/20/22 4:11 p.m.

You're right, it's a torque arm, not a 3 link setup...  I was tired when I typed that.  LOL

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
11/21/22 7:28 a.m.

Nice find! And I bet some "hard" parts in the US (the Type 5 transmission was never sold there, right?).

The rear suspension is almost exactly like what I have planned for my next build - but I will probably use a Volvo 240 rear axle or possibly a Ford 8.8.

To me, it seems the suspension work is done by someone with a pretty good idea of what can work - not 100% sure on the lowered rack though but with the bump steer adaptors it may well be dialled in to work.

I run tension struts instead of compression struts on my Capri but I am not sure it matters. 

Gustaf

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
11/21/22 8:51 a.m.
Rodan said:

Didn't have a lot of time this morning, but I was able to pop a wheel off and take a couple of pics.

Looks like a rear link was added, and the front beefed up a bit, in addition to the coilover conversion.  Lots of overspray, which is a little disappointing.  Also disappointing was the cheap (and heavy!) china cast wheel.

I hope to get the car up on stands this week and take a good survey of the underside.

Do you have a better picture of the steering arm extension the outer tie rod(or rod end) attaches to(unless its really a 3" thick steering arm....but would still like a pic from the backside of the hub)? I suspect I will have to have a similar drop on my front-steer conversion and would like to see how others handled it to prevent flex. Also, how does the steering feel? Any noticeable bump-steer or deflection in a turn?

On a different note...its interesting to see a strut-rod design that goes back rather than forward.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/21/22 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

I still need to get the car up on stands and really have a look underneath, I'll take more pics then.

I haven't driven it enough to make a qualified judgement on the steering feel.  It's jetted very rich, and my altitude will make it worse, so the first priority is to get that sorted so I can drive it without fouling plugs.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/21/22 9:59 a.m.

Google is failing me... can anyone help me identify this transmission:

External linkage/ case access on left side... casting has Ford logo, but I can't seem to find it online...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
11/21/22 12:09 p.m.

From appearances that's the same trans my '73 V6 had.  I think they call it the "E-type" box.  Shifts nice, long throws.  Type 9 five-speed from the XR4Ti's we got here in the 80's is supposed to be based on it I think.  

In a stock or near-stock power level application I think it's up to the task, and the shift quality is nice, and it's light and small.  I did blow one up though but I was being stupid experimenting with axle wrap.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/21/22 12:20 p.m.

Everything I've found on the Type E shows a top access plate, internal shift linkage and rear mounted shifter:

That's why I was kind of confused... I can't find a picture online of this particular box, but it has side linkages like a toploader, but no top access.  The access plate is on the side where the shift linkages are...

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
11/21/22 1:54 p.m.

Looks like some derivative of a T10 box to me.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
11/21/22 9:28 p.m.

I think it's an early V6 Capri box, don't know what model that would be though.

Why is the steering rack dropped? Is it to gain more clearance for the engine or to improve the geometry?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
11/22/22 12:23 a.m.

Yeah, I remember those boxes from my car.  I remember trying to find the name of it years ago and had the same confusing situation then.

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
11/22/22 2:21 a.m.

The "rod" box is generally called Type F, it was fitted to early V6's (at least in the US) and then also later 2.0's in Europe.

https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-type-f-gearbox-guide.html

Sometimes referred to as "H";

https://www.ford-capri.ch/technics/technical-data/gearbox.html

It derives from the German Taunus of the 1960's, that was available with a column shift. Not the strongest of gearboxes (split one in half in our 2.8 turbo) and the gear lever has a habit to snap. That has happened to me twice...

Gustaf

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
11/22/22 2:28 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Side linkage gearbox was standard on the original V6 Capri's - generally known as the type F . Casting numbers on the case should be 71WG7006AC. I believe it also went in some Mk2 Capris and maybe some Granadas. 

It's only a 4 speed and has an orphan output shaft that wasn't used with anything else according to one source I found.

Cheers 

R

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
11/22/22 2:30 a.m.

In reply to therealpinto :

Snap smileysmiley

therealpinto
therealpinto HalfDork
11/22/22 2:57 a.m.
RichardNZ said:

In reply to therealpinto :

Snap smileysmiley

:-)

About the output shaft; The US MkI 2.8 we had here in Sweden had the same "fine spline" output shaft as the type E, type 9 etc. while all my MkIII 2.0 F gearboxes had the coarse, 10 spline output shaft. I have never come across another of these gearboxes with the fine spline output shaft but Federal Capris are quite rare here in Sweden. 

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
11/22/22 3:31 a.m.

NZ  and Aussie MK 1 Capri's were the  Kent 1600, Taunus V4 or Essex V6. Aren't Ford kit cars amazing in their permutations...

Sorry to sidetrack the thread Rodan, normal service resumes now smiley

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
11/22/22 7:12 a.m.

That looks like the same one that was in my '71 2.0 Capri if I remember correctly because it had external linkage.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/22/22 9:09 a.m.

In reply to therealpinto & RichardNZ:

Thanks, guys.  Don't know why the Type F didn't show up in the Ford transmission results I was getting when searching, but now that I can search specifically it's easier to find some info.

There were so many variations of engines/transmissions in the early Capris worldwide, it can be a little confusing, especially for those of us in the US as there aren't many left here.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
11/22/22 9:33 p.m.

There's a coarse spline version and a fine spline...I think the coarse is the one you want. Neither to confused with an M-22...

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JdoTWEOLcwAledVviw1k7ocAbprWTt6HvFqEueUpPEG97mhDJBs2Ge1iOqPAhXRT