1 2
vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/23/20 7:44 p.m.

Inspired by a friend, VDubber, and model builder I broken into my stash and cleared a spot in the corner of a little used part of the house. Follow along.

Here's my space.

Here's the kit fresh from a wash in soapy water to get any oils and release agents off the plastic.

This stack will ultimately become a 1:25 scale version of my actual car.

Should be able to get more of this done than on the 1:1 cars!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/23/20 7:49 p.m.

Loving this!

This is a model that I built of the car that I drove in high school.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/23/20 8:01 p.m.

Subscribed!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/23/20 8:15 p.m.

Nice. I never used to build 1:32 scale kits, but then I discovered they make good slot cars. Now I have about 5 of them on my table in various states of mess. They're nice quick builds, especially the snap-together ones, but still look good when they're finished.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/24/20 10:06 a.m.

So I discovered this morning, after living here for 17 years, that there's an actual vent fan behind this cover and it works. Yay, no fumes in the house. Here's a question though. I want to cover it to keep paint from getting to it. I also would like to make a simple spray booth from a cardboard box. Can I put a cotton t shirt over the covering to filter any paint but still allow air to flow? And how might you create a booth either around it, in front of it, or connected to it in some way? Thoughts? I was also thinking of a box filter of some sort in place of the cover with a cardboard form built off the wall.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/24/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Use a small air conditioner filter and create your cardboard box around it. Use the filter to determine the outlet annulus that abuts the fan, Leave a few inches of duct between the filter and the fan. The cotton shirt might work, but it needs to be about 4 times the size of the fan to not be too restrictive.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/26/20 12:29 p.m.

So I ended up using a new box from HD, a filter that sits in place, and sealing the box around the fan with cardboard and packing tape. It will hold a piece of paper against the filter when running. Now time to start on the Corvette.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/26/20 12:30 p.m.

The filter is easily removable so I can reach in and operate the fan.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/26/20 12:32 p.m.

If I need more pull I may take the grill off and make an enclosure formed around the opening. Maybe use plastic bags for that?

Shadeux
Shadeux HalfDork
3/26/20 12:42 p.m.

Are you trying to make like a paint booth, or just for general glue fumes?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/26/20 1:16 p.m.
Shadeux said:

Are you trying to make like a paint booth, or just for general glue fumes?

Both

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/26/20 2:07 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Taking the grill off of the fan is unlikely to improve its flow. Might even reduce it!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/27/20 9:09 a.m.

Do y'all think I should further shroud the fan to the box opening?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/27/20 9:12 a.m.

Painting has commenced. Not going for stock. Just using what I have to provide some contrast in places. Be nice if I had some paint pens, but not heading out for a while to any stores. I have sharpies. Might they do the trick for smaller details?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/27/20 9:14 a.m.

I read somewhere that all Corvettes are red.wink

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/27/20 9:17 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Sharpie will work but may rub off.

Paint looks great, but in the future take the parts off of the sprue first. 

Shadeux
Shadeux HalfDork
3/27/20 9:32 a.m.

Molotow paint markers are amazing for detailing. 

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/27/20 10:07 p.m.
Shadeux said:

Molotow paint markers are amazing for detailing. 

I was just researching those. Good to know.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/27/20 10:08 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to vwcorvette :

Sharpie will work but may rub off.

Paint looks great, but in the future take the parts off of the sprue first. 

Yes, remove from sprue. This I know. Not afraid of a little touch up on this one. Just wanted to get back into the swing of things and PAINT!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/27/20 10:33 p.m.

I use the metallic sharpies all the time, especially silver. Dries faster than paint usually does, looks ok enough for my crap-ass builds, and is convenient as heck. Black sharpies are ok in a pinch for some parts, but nowadays I use the cheap acrylic paint pens from the craft section of Walmart for a lot of stuff. It's not perfect, but again, I'm not too picky.

And I usually paint stuff on the sprue, then after removing it, do touch-up. I'm lazy.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/28/20 9:36 p.m.

Some close ups. Removed everything from the sprues tonight. Will touch up as needed.

CAN YOU GUESS WHAT'S MISSING? That I only just discovered today.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
3/28/20 9:41 p.m.

So when this is done do I do return to this? It's been in the works for over 10 years. It's not what my Stingray would look like in real life, but something I can't get out of my head. Or do I build my 1:1 car in scale?

The main body is from the Baldwin Motion 69 Vette. Nose from an 82. I pulled the doors to making opening doors. I trimmed the rear to smooth the tail with now bumpers. Don't recall where the rockers and rear flares came from. Interior would have updated interior from a C4. Considering how I might update the suspension with C4 bits as well.

Thoughts?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/28/20 9:43 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Steering wheel or glass?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/28/20 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I see the glass in his first pic. I do not see the steering wheel.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/28/20 10:36 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

The hardest part of the 1/24 kit is going to be fixing the A pillar, and bodies with crowned sides like the C3 are especially difficult to get opening doors to clear in front. Build it as awild custom and start with a fresh kit for your replica stock build. Check out the main model cars thread, there are some great builds shown there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iGN32ZZORWhhgXHcpg8yozRmiyjDkNMsLVI9Zx5gAM8hYhovh0jMlWi1YoCkgzKx