9 10 11 12 13
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/1/19 10:44 p.m.

Fun night in garage tonight. Tony came by and we figured some stuff out. Started by bolting flywheel to engine:

Then used the kick-ass alignment tool to properly bolt up the clutch kit, so we could slide the Audi 01X transaxle into place and verify required thickness of adapter plate:

I *think* the starter gear is proud of the bellhousing because the flywheel we copied was for a B5 S4 (or is it RS4), but the design changed for either the B6 or B7. No matter, as it will live inside the 1” aluminum adapter plate.

In other exciting news, the Go_Gators rear UCA mod is complete and the parts are on their way back home, should be here Friday.  :-)

And in other less exciting news, I found a guy parting a 135i automatic, and scored the halfshafts for a great price.  They are, like the ultimate little teapot, the shortest and stoutest halfshaft that should interface with the C5 rear hubs and leave room for adapters to join their inners to the 01X stub axles. From same guy I’m getting a set of E70 X5 rear halfshafts, because they appear to have the same outer spline but a longer thread.  I will try to mix and match these with the 135’s because I didn’t like how short the threads are on the 135’s.

20 garage days left.  I think it’s gonna be close.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/1/19 10:48 p.m.

Keep it up, I want to see another lt1 there representing...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/1/19 11:08 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I’m doing my best!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/2/19 10:27 p.m.

Knocked out some “background” stuff tonight, like stretching the mounting holes for the brake MC closer together, so the C4 MC fits the Corvair pedal box:

Then cleaned up and shortened the Corvair pushrod so it’s the right length to engage and fully release the C4 MC pistons:

Cleaned and lubed the pedal bushings so they swing nice and smooth, then set the assembly aside until later.

Depending on what parts arrive when, I’ve got a few things I could work on next.  Having the pedal box and MC done means I can put them in and run the NiCopp lines whenever.  I decided to abandon ABS this year in favor of adjustable prop. Will just have to be careful not to let the smoke out of the A7’s, which is really the only reason I planned to keep the C4 ABS functional.

I crossed several things off the list, so I need to update the board. Tomorrow (Th 10/3) is my last slack day before the Challenge. Doing an overnight with my older daughter before an all-day campus visit on Friday. I will pick up adapter plate blank from Alro Metals tomorrow on my way to work. Rear UCAs will be here Friday, so I can get back to stitching the C5 rear into the car, then should be mounting powertrain early-ish next week. After that, it’s mostly assembly with only a few light fab projects to realize.

For me, 19 working days before the Challenge.

dherr
dherr HalfDork
10/3/19 8:01 a.m.

Keep it going, watching with envy! Can't wait to see the drivetrain installed in that beast.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/3/19 9:28 a.m.

Every time I open this thread, I hope to see engine bolted into car and 4 wheels on the ground. You can do it!

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
10/3/19 10:49 a.m.

Theres a factory bellhousing spacer for the Audi Allroad TT that's pretty reasonable.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/3/19 10:58 a.m.
Stefan said:

Theres a factory bellhousing spacer for the Audi Allroad TT that's pretty reasonable.

to attach audi trans to chevy engine?

bluej
bluej UberDork
10/3/19 11:12 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Stefan said:

I think he might be suggesting combining that VAG spacer w/ a gm block plate to maybe save time?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/3/19 12:21 p.m.
bluej said:
AngryCorvair said:
Stefan said:

I think he might be suggesting combining that VAG spacer w/ a gm block plate to maybe save time?

damn, look at the big brain on you guys!  i didn't connect those dots at all.  funny thing is that i almost bought one of those spacers a few months ago but couldn't see how to make it work for me without already having the custom flywheel in hand, and at that point with Tony's machining capability it's not really a time save.  but now that you've started those wheels turning, it looks like the thickest spacer was about 11.2 mm, and a typical aluminum mid-plate is 1/4" (6.4 mm), for a total of 17.6 mm.  my flywheel and clutch combo require a 25.4 mm total thickness.   so, good idea but not feasible as-is.

Azryael
Azryael New Reader
10/3/19 1:23 p.m.

If you were closer, I'd happily lend a hand to see this thing moving! But it looks like you're getting closer and closer as it is.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
10/3/19 2:01 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

damn, look at the big brain on you guys!  i didn't connect those dots at all.  funny thing is that i almost bought one of those spacers a few months ago but couldn't see how to make it work for me without already having the custom flywheel in hand, and at that point with Tony's machining capability it's not really a time save.  but now that you've started those wheels turning, it looks like the thickest spacer was about 11.2 mm, and a typical aluminum mid-plate is 1/4" (6.4 mm), for a total of 17.6 mm.  my flywheel and clutch combo require a 25.4 mm total thickness.   so, good idea but not feasible as-is.

TWO SPACERS!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/7/19 8:39 a.m.

A whole weekend and no updates?? Hopefully you've been too busy working on it to waste time posting. ;)

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
10/7/19 8:55 a.m.

Been sitting in the bleachers watching this build.  Love it.  Time is running thin, but I think you can pull it off.  Not figuratively speaking, of course.

dherr
dherr HalfDork
10/7/19 9:11 a.m.

Same here, first look for Monday morning with my coffee to see the progress. I want to see the drive train installed in that Corvair!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/7/19 9:21 a.m.

Side note, I saw a Corvair at Fall Carlisle this weekend and it is a lot smaller than I figured from the pictures. Should be a hoot once complete!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/7/19 10:30 a.m.

thanks guys, i feel the love!

i was thinking about posting a pic of the Sonoma on sawblades, then letting this thread go dark, a la Patrick and his epic mindberkeley claim that the Wartburg isn't his 2019 Challenger.  i still think he's bringing it, and the AMG is just a facade.  Then again, i still think Oswald wasn't the only shooter.

most of the progress the last few days has been just figuring stuff out and picking up parts.

adjustable prop for rear brake circuit.  decided against keeping the C4 ABS:

rear UCA's with Go_Gators mod:

1" thick 6061 plate for trans adapter:

1/4-panel reminds me of the guy from Memento:

making room for the LT1 plus easier access for joining front of C5 rear frame cut to Corvair unibody:

took a small relief cut off my knuckle.  Could have been much worse.  remember kids, new cutoff wheels are larger diameter than old cutoff wheels.

clearanced both rails for UCA access:

6mm spacers work with Go_Gators mod to gain clearance between C5 caliper and C4 wheel center while also gaining negative camber *and* tire clearance to fender.  “86.2” means -3.8 deg at max adjustment:

eyeballed the side-to-side alignment.  that's a 9mm hex key on the left and a 10mm on the right.  i'd say my eyeballs are pretty good to hit +/- 0.5mm.  probably better than Fisher Body 1965, LOL.

and speaking of tire clearance, looks like 3"-plus inboard with the 285s.  i think for maximum winning in post-challenge life, i'm going to get another pair of 8.5" fronts and have them widened to 11".  because if you *can* fit a 315, then goddamnit you *should* fit a 315.

i vascillate between "OMG this is going to be so friggin' awesome" and "OMG there's no friggin' way i can pull this off."  I took this pic this AM to remind myself that there is no try, only do.

12 evenings and 2 weekends to go...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/7/19 10:34 a.m.

Im really hoping this vaporware shows up in a couple weeks. I look forward to showing you how its done!

Seriously, i cant see pictures, but good luck!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/7/19 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Pix added

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/7/19 10:59 a.m.

also, seeing this build linked in the recent promo thread kinda intensified the feelings of "gotta get it done" and the "there's no way to get it done".  moar coffee!

bluej
bluej UberDork
10/7/19 11:55 a.m.

Just think of how cool it will be to say you lined it up against Don Garlits.. devil

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
10/7/19 12:21 p.m.

Any accumulated sick time?  Could spin it as "sick if I  can't get it done".  Just sayin wink

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/7/19 12:49 p.m.

Anal glaucoma. 

Cant see your ass coming into work.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
10/7/19 3:21 p.m.

woohoo! glad the little control arm mod worked for ya! 

bluej
bluej UberDork
10/7/19 4:17 p.m.

Would using the VAG spacer as a template help save time machining the spacer? Would be easier to manipulate than the trans, but not sure your process..

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WIgomzQhoYg2HCGykMwqhluhTudvKEuskEtiCyY2oTDYsbz6nHEjinwXK69wl5ew