1 2 3 4
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/6/19 7:27 p.m.

Took another sick day today.  Whatever I caught, it ain’t letting go.  Been on the couch all day, never entertained the idea of garage time.  berkeleying miserable.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
8/6/19 7:55 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

You didn't weld anything galvanized did ya?

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
8/7/19 11:01 a.m.

I have heard the worst thing you can do is use brake cleaner on something prior to welding.  It creates some interesting chemical as you weld over it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/7/19 11:20 a.m.
TED_fiestaHP said:

I have heard the worst thing you can do is use brake cleaner on something prior to welding.  It creates some interesting chemical as you weld over it.

Id does. Similar to mustard gas. You go to the hospital. Its ugly .done it once...

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
8/7/19 11:56 a.m.

Phosgene is bad. Very bad. Typically whatever damage you cause by inhaling it often effects you for life. As in you don't get better if you don't die breathing it in the first place.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/7/19 12:01 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

I wonder if that is part of the reason (along with 2-3 packs a day for 20 years) that i have continued breathing trouble, and had a lung tumor?  I have quit smoking and turned to light nicotine vaping!

Probably should mention that incident to my lung doctor. I thought once i got better and left the hospital i never had to think about it again....

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
8/7/19 3:53 p.m.

In reply to TED_fiestaHP :

That's true for chlorinated brake cleaner.  Non-chlorinated brake cleaner will just catch you on fire..so pick yr poison.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/7/19 5:00 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to AngryCorvair :

You didn't weld anything galvanized did ya?

Of course I did!  Corvair rails are galvanized inside and out.  I have read that the concern over zinc oxide inhalation was greatly overemphasized in the past.  I tried to keep a fan blowing the weld smoke away from my face.  And now I’ve got one of those half-size masks that fits under the welding helmet.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
8/7/19 5:38 p.m.

In reply to cdeforrest :

I typically set my shirt on fire with the grinder, but have started some small fires with the welder as well.  That flash of light not coming from the weld, that is a fire, stop and look.  Ventilation is important, and don't do any chemical cleaning before welding, or at least wait to ensure the chemicals are gone and then do a rinse with soapy water.  All kidding aside, we need to be careful, stuff happens but lets not hurt ourselves.  Stuff can be replaced.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/8/19 8:59 a.m.

Saw my regular physician yesterday.  Called it “travel-related illness” and prescribed Steroid for inflammation, antibiotic for infection, and Codein syrup for cough and sore throat.  Got all those things into my system about 5PM yesterday.  Slept better last night, and feel pretty good today.  Throat is still sore AF when the med wears off, but I’m glad to be feeling better.  Burning another sick day today.  I’m 52 and have never before taken 4 consecutive sick days.  Thinking about trying out the new mask this afternoon.  ;-)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/8/19 8:37 p.m.

Felt good after dinner so got a little time in the garage.  It would be quicker to cut the gaps big and patch it in later but that’s not my style.  Using flap disc in angle grinder to sneak up on it.  Also using my new mask:

Need a little more clearance along the bottom on both sides, so the crossmember can go up about another  1/2”.  It’s dialed front-rear and side-side.

One nice thing about not using the C4 frame section:  it weighed 32 lbs.  

I will do my best to have the front suspension 100% done this weekend, then will start parallel-paths of powertrain and rear suspension/structure.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/9/19 10:21 p.m.

Got the crossmember mocked up in proper x, y, and z location, and loosely bolted the LF corner together.  Pretty happy with revised wheel center position and increased ground clearance at same ride height.

Also thinking that with as light as this car will be, I’m going to fight the 275/40 and 315/35 urge, and go with 245/40 and 275/35 Hoosiers.  This saves about $240 out of pocket and probably saves me from cutting the front fenders.  I put the word out locally to see if I can find some “mock-up quality” tires.  At this point, streamlining labor is more important than maximum visual impact.

also, I did a thing with front spring but not sure I’m ready to share that just yet.  It’s friggin’ Cool though.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/9/19 10:24 p.m.

Bonerriffic!!!!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/10/19 1:05 p.m.

As received from PimpM3, C4 wore 245/45zr17 on 8.5” fronts.  I put one of those on and verified no fender cutting required, so Tire size decision is made.

been burning in more patches on the front rails:

and contemplating the CAD required to stitch the C4 crossmember in place.  I pulled some square tube cutoffs from the remnants bin at Alro Metals Outlet that I think will be perfect once cut to fit and drilled for plug welds.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
8/10/19 1:08 p.m.

Good to see you making some progress!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/10/19 3:50 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

Good to see you making some progress!

I agree!   ;-)

Dusterbd13-michael
8/10/19 4:08 p.m.

Two months....

Keep it up!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/10/19 7:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Two months....

Keep it up!

Leaving a picnic now to go use the machine shop at work.  I’d rather stay and hang out with Captain Morgan, but the car show must go on.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
8/10/19 8:07 p.m.

Twin threads who knew you pull that much stroke......wink 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/11/19 4:26 p.m.

Last night I exercised good judgement and did not go to machine shop after picnic.

Today I learned my badge doesn’t let me in on Sundays.

so instead of nice bandsaw cuts I used jig saw and sawzall to hack a couple brackets out of a chunk of 2x2x.065.  They came out OK, but not really photo-worthy. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/12/19 10:30 p.m.

This evening I spent a couple hours making the brackets that will tie the C4 front crossmember into the Corvair rails.

Tomorrow after work I’ll get the crossmember back into position and will start filling all those holes with molten wire.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/12/19 11:19 p.m.

Those look awesome 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/13/19 10:09 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Thanks!  Layout took only a few minutes with masking tape, machinist scale, and center punch.  Piloting and then step-drilling 73 holes took a little longer.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/13/19 10:21 a.m.

The bad part of it is is that once they're welded in ground down and painted none of the Concourse judges will ever be able to see them

bluej
bluej UberDork
8/13/19 10:36 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The bad part of it is is that once they're welded in ground down and painted none of the Concourse judges will ever be able to see them

Pics in the build book!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pS6HbvfL0HWeCupeanvt3vWqV8sOgblluZDAuVa6LJQSHWVQNf7VuMrPieEtVa2y