stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
2/10/23 7:25 a.m.

You need one of Mazdeuce's "think twice wrench once" stickers to go with all that contemplation

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/10/23 7:45 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

I've got the T-shirt

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/10/23 8:52 a.m.

Yeah baby!!  Edited for this post.

re·as·sem·bly

/ˌrēəˈsemblē/

noun

1. the action of gathering together again as a running vehicle.

"the reassembly of the Monzora"

• the action of putting something together again.

"illustrations for the disassembly and reassembly of devices."

2/10/23 10:17 p.m.

Wear your safety glasses, kids!

it has been zero days since my last trip to the ER

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
2/10/23 10:37 p.m.

Don't tell your local OSHA rep.

Feel better.

nlevine
nlevine Reader
2/10/23 11:15 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Ouch! Been there, done that the first day I started wrenching on my last project. Hope things improve soon!

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
2/10/23 11:23 p.m.

Oh no! Did they use the eyeball die grinder? I hope not. I hate the eyeball die grinder. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
2/11/23 12:21 a.m.

Poser, I thought you were down with PPE.  Joking aside hope the eye is all good

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/11/23 1:44 a.m.

Safety squints engage too late?

2/11/23 8:48 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Safety squints made me LOL

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/11/23 8:57 a.m.

AngryCorvair, you should as dallas and stafford1500 about how i earned the title "mr safety" during the amc build.  One of the lesser examples was lighting a cigarette off a propane weed burning torch just after painting the inside of the car with industrial enamel and no respirator. 

I firmly encourage the safety squint. Its DAOSHA approved Eyewear. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
2/11/23 9:24 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Safety squints engage too late?

Reaction time is slowing down as he ages!

2/11/23 10:30 a.m.

Thanks to all for the concern. I was wearing regular glasses without side shields. the nose of my charcoal filter mask pushes the glasses up and out a little, which certainly reduces their effectiveness at keeping E36 M3 out of my eyes.

In reply to APEowner :

no eyeball die grinder. OMG that sounds horrific. I want nothing to do with that. Stopping at hardware store for a face shield before picking up the death wheel or flap disc again.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue HalfDork
2/11/23 10:49 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Just out of curiosity, is there a grind mode setting on that new Weld-Mask? I have a Miller helmet that has it, but I'm not sure if it's really all that helpful, since the controls are on the inside of the helmet and you have to remove it to switch to grind mode.

Not that a standalone face shield is a bad investment...

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
2/11/23 11:21 a.m.

I had the eyeball die grinder during my pterygium surgery. It about woke me up from the conscious sedation. 

I know the feeling of eye injuries. Take care of it. Hope it heals quickly g6ot you

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
2/11/23 11:54 a.m.

Soooo, what happened?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
2/11/23 12:29 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to APEowner :

no eyeball die grinder. OMG that sounds horrific. I want nothing to do with that.

I didn't get a die grinder when I had a fleck of metal rust onto my eyeball.  They got the biggest gauge needle they had, laid it on my eyeball next to the rust, then the doc twirled it in her fingers.

She described it to me before she did it so I knew what was happening.  The phrase was something along the lines of "like an ice cream scoop scooping up a portion of ice cream."

I tell that story, with that imagery, so that people wear their damn eye goggles.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
2/11/23 1:35 p.m.

The eyeball die grinder is interesting. Basically a largish gauge needle on a dremel. They put some local anesthetic drops (Codine based I think) in your eye and ask you to NOT BLINK while they shine the sun in there to see what they are trying to remove while it whirs away at 20k rpm. I think it has a suction thru the bore to help remove the crud.

I dont recommend it, but if it is the right answer it works well. I make sure the emergency eye folks know I have dealt with things like this before. I can usually tell them what quadrant of the eye to search for the debris.

2/11/23 1:48 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

I can usually tell them what quadrant of the eye to search for the debris.

IDK why that sentence makes me LOL, but it does.

2/11/23 1:56 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Soooo, what happened?

How did I do it? Nothing special, just using death wheel to cut vent holes in Corvair. My breather holds my glasses away from my face a little, and some crud made its way into my eye.

How did they fix it? Numbing drops first, then a really bright light and a Q-tip was enough to get the metal that was dead center. I told him it initially felt like there was something high and outside, and he was able to get a speck of death wheel from that approximate location. Then some dye to check for scratches (I think). Antibiotic eye drops every 2 hours while I'm awake, not sure how long that goes as I didn't read the paperwork yet.

When the drops wore off, I was convinced that there's still something low and outside, but that feeling is lessening as the day goes on.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
2/11/23 1:58 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
stafford1500 said:

I can usually tell them what quadrant of the eye to search for the debris.

IDK why that sentence makes me LOL, but it does.

Good the medicine is working, after all laughter is the best medicine.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
2/11/23 6:20 p.m.

As a fellow wearer of glasses, I always use a face shield with the death wheel. Okay, not 100% of the time, but I'm pretty damn good about it. The nice thing is they're  a top layer that go over your respirator, mask, beanie, hoodie, etc with a quick adjustment. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
2/11/23 7:30 p.m.

I recommend Goggles like you would wear skiing.  Just clear ones.  That's what I wear when using the death wheel.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/11/23 7:44 p.m.

Convert to face shield after similar event. I see all the spark holes in my T-shirts and figured that odds are one would find my eye  again eventually.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
2/12/23 8:22 a.m.

I converted to the face shield after a grinder with a wire wheel grabbed something, shot out and hit me in the face.  The wheel grabbed one of my nostrils and opened it up.  It was a bloody, fleshy mess.  

I had goggles on.  Ineffective.  

I also got a piece of something in the eye requiring a visit to the optometrist from a bench grinder.   Now face shield is required!

glad you'll be ok!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
btgSl2gCOvnxq0CRqGgbbLoLhtLfdZdzP1zYgMGYw0M0CnUylGs5tD54Xb2PiWbX