1 2
Cody_D
Cody_D New Reader
12/13/13 10:55 p.m.
BigD wrote: Came here looking for an Elise with a V10 swap with Porsche transaxle

ArthurDent wrote: Nice selection of cars. I feel your pain about lack of tracks. Shame about Race City in Calgary. Lethbridge has some auto-x if that interests you. There is supposed to be some ice racing this winter too. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lethbridge-Sports-Car-Club-LSCC/157091857643921

That sounds good, it's a three hour drive for me to Lethbridge though so I doubt I'll do it often Any racing time is better than no racing time.

dyintorace wrote: Love the red 964!! Such a great looking era for the 911.

Thanks man, I have had a few cars and I think the 964's are my favourite with the NSX a close second. For a couple years back in the day I was rocking both, funny thing about this picture is that Colt is probably the fastest car in the picture. 4G63t Colt!!!! Enough of this old stuff though, I think I'm going to need to do a project on the 964 just so I can keep this thread alive, haha.

turtl631
turtl631 New Reader
12/13/13 11:36 p.m.

Why did you ditch the 996? Just wanted to get into something older?

Cody_D
Cody_D New Reader
12/14/13 12:28 a.m.
turtl631 wrote: Why did you ditch the 996? Just wanted to get into something older?

It was a great car, very fast, however I had three problems with the car. First was that I didn't care for the looks, it isn't an ugly car I just didn't find myself gawking at it, going out to the garage to stare at it or anything like that. Second was that the power was fun, then I got accustomed to it and the thrill was over, Matt Farah has a good video talking about this with high horsepower Nissan GTR's and how he finds them boring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqxPdK8GrPA&feature=youtu.be&t=32m46s), sounds crazy but I, to a lesser extent, know what he means. Third, and this is a minor issue, was that they are very common here, 996 turbos seem to be a very popular car in this area.

Not all 996tt's but I showed up to a car drive and a lot of 911 turbos arrived (3 996 turbos, 2 930 turbos and 2 997 turbos).

I owned another 996 after this one, I bought a high mileage Carrera 4 to drive last winter then sold it in spring, I like the 996 because they are very capable, I just don't covet them.

I drove the slant nose 930 in the picture above and it also wasn't for me, I prefer the styling of the 964 over the 993 and I can't justify $50,000 for a 965 even though I love them, so I own a non turbo 964, that I go to the garage to stare at, and I just enjoy driving :D

Cody_D
Cody_D New Reader
12/15/13 4:07 p.m.

So for some more randomness, I'm currently helping a friend with his Lotuses. The cars are an Exige S240, a 77 Esprit S1, a 91 Elan and a 2002 Esprit V8tt. I do not really enjoy working on the old Esprit or the Elan, for some reason I just have no interest in them. As for the new Esprit I will never turn a wrench on one, I have had several friends who owned them and I have never seen an engine that likes to blow up that much. The Exige, now that is a car I love to work on, remove the rear clam and go to town. Sorry if this stuff isn't really "grassroots" but I thought it might be interesting, I'll post my MR2 and Talon experiences sometime as well.

The Elan I am pretty much done working on, I changed out the carpet which was a big job because it's hard to find molded carpet for such a rare car, I also upgraded the stereo system and put some aftermarket seats in it.

The 1977 Esprit I am mostly restoring, we are ordering parts from the UK, waiting for them to arrive and then installing them, there is a lot of work to do on this car as the previous owners mechanical skills are questionable.

I changed out the plug wires and I am trying to clean up little tasks with the car. One issue we are having is the transmission does not want to go into first gear, I think there is too much play in the cables, we will see.

You can see the difference on the custom wires between the previous ones and mine, the previous owner didn't even cut the wires to the proper length, just let them dangle.

Wires look better now:

Here you can see the rubber bushings, I changed out 6 of these, some were not easy to reach, the car is built on a large tunnel with the body just mounted on top, if you have to change something in the tunnel you are going to have a long day.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 New Reader
1/18/14 2:59 p.m.
Cody_D wrote: It was a great car, very fast, however I had three problems with the car. First was that I didn't care for the looks, it isn't an ugly car I just didn't find myself gawking at it, going out to the garage to stare at it or anything like that. Second was that the power was fun, then I got accustomed to it and the thrill was over, Matt Farah has a good video talking about this with high horsepower Nissan GTR's and how he finds them boring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqxPdK8GrPA&feature=youtu.be&t=32m46s), sounds crazy but I, to a lesser extent, know what he means. Third, and this is a minor issue, was that they are very common here, 996 turbos seem to be a very popular car in this area. Not all 996tt's but I showed up to a car drive and a lot of 911 turbos arrived (3 996 turbos, 2 930 turbos and 2 997 turbos). I owned another 996 after this one, I bought a high mileage Carrera 4 to drive last winter then sold it in spring, I like the 996 because they are very capable, I just don't covet them. I drove the slant nose 930 in the picture above and it also wasn't for me, I prefer the styling of the 964 over the 993 and I can't justify $50,000 for a 965 even though I love them, so I own a non turbo 964, that I go to the garage to stare at, and I just enjoy driving :D

You have been the first person I have talked to or seen write that a 911 turbo is boring. But, of course, you are not the first person to get bored of a 911 turbo. I'm not the biggest 911 fan, but I do like that they all resemble each other so it wouldn't be a big deal to me if I got a 930,964, or 996,judging by exterior design.

Cody_D
Cody_D New Reader
1/18/14 6:12 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: You have been the first person I have talked to or seen write that a 911 turbo is boring. But, of course, you are not the first person to get bored of a 911 turbo. I'm not the biggest 911 fan, but I do like that they all resemble each other so it wouldn't be a big deal to me if I got a 930,964, or 996,judging by exterior design.

It's probably just me and my short attention span, the car was awesome in a lot of ways, I'd probably still own it if I didn't dislike the headlight design so much. I've been thinking of buying a 997 turbo cabriolet, I'd have to sell everything but it would be a nice car that I could enjoy with the kids.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2OqQQBq6h5KNRhaEtwFzKnovLnCY8tckPUP79CPsbsUjU7ahl2KpZbdPLZ28q0rd