1 2 3 4 5
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
8/30/14 10:10 p.m.
Rally_Culture
Rally_Culture None
8/31/14 8:59 p.m.

oh man i cant wait to see all this come together this is one dope frankenstein build! i just bought myself a 91 e30 318is project car and i cant wait to get her road worthy to start auto-x/dd. with the bigger engine how will the weight distrib be? will you be using weights in the rear to get it back to 50/50 or will you just leave it due to time crunch? keep it up im looking forward to the final product/ race.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel New Reader
8/31/14 9:25 p.m.

Found a motor and t5 wc today for 300 bucks. both need work... damnit, you're in my head strike...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/1/14 3:09 a.m.

Day 22

8 more to go!!

I'll answer questions tomorrow. Sleepy time now . . .

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
9/1/14 5:13 a.m.

Great progress!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/1/14 5:32 a.m.

Sweet! I think you might actually make it!

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
9/1/14 8:25 p.m.

Very impressed!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/2/14 6:18 p.m.

Day 23

Looking to do a system check later tonight if I make it to the part store before they close.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/3/14 9:11 a.m.

99 out of 10 for commitment.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/3/14 10:20 a.m.

Thanks!!

I didn't make it to parts store until this morning, so nothing but sleep was done yesterday.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/4/14 4:24 a.m.

Day 24 and 25

5 more days!!!

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
9/4/14 7:03 a.m.

Congrats - you made it through the tough part, which is getting it to run!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/4/14 7:23 a.m.

Well done. I can't even get my Saab to run and it drive into the garage!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/4/14 8:54 a.m.

Youre making insane progress...keep at it! Any ideas on the buzzy relay?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/4/14 9:40 a.m.

I have few in mind.

• Wiring
  • ECU
  • Relay

Since my hackered harness is a mix of 88-90, 91-93, and Ford Racing C302, it was . . . missing some stuff.

I had to add a relay for the fuel pump and it is missing the inertia switch wiring. Best guess it wired to run the relay at key on until key off. It maybe jumped somewhere in the harness.

If that isn't it, then its the relay or the ECU. I'm waiting for the store call for a order I made yesterday. I'll pick up another relay then.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/4/14 10:38 a.m.

This doesn't look right . . . does it??

I've never seen an ECU with corrosion like that where it lived inside a (dry) car.

I'm stilling going to test the other theories . . .

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/4/14 11:05 a.m.

Well . . . with the ECU removed from the car and Key on . . . the relay buzzes and fuel pump runs . . .

Not supposed to the do that. Going to check the wiring and pick up another relay.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
9/4/14 5:45 p.m.

My stock A9L Ford processor runs the Ford relay. As I understand it, the ECU provides a ground to the relay when you turn the key to on or start. It then looks for a minimum rpm and a signal that the alternator has started turning. If it senses that it keeps the pump on. If it doesn't sense that, it kills the ground to the relay, killing the pump, after a second or two. I used the output of the Ford relay to "trigger" a new/separate relay (the Volvo FP relay) to run the pump in the tank.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/6/14 1:55 p.m.

Quick update!

Running from a manual switched fuel pump

The only two things left are ECU and/or TFI module.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/6/14 7:00 p.m.

Just had a thought . . . Does anyone know if the Foxbody A9L needs a oil pressure signal for the fuel pump relay to run?

This 302 I have has a different oil pressure sender . . . that maybe my issue.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
9/6/14 8:12 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

Mine runs just fine off of the Volvo combo gauge sender/idiot light switch from VDO. There are many people that WISH the ecu would have killed the fuel pump when they lost pressure....LOL!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/6/14 9:12 p.m.

I was being hopeful about the ECU not being the issue.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
9/6/14 10:06 p.m.

I don't have the pin number off the top of my head - may be able to find it in my Probst manual --- but you should be able to probe the pin that is supposed to provide a ground as I described above and see if it's doing what it's supposed to do when you key the ignition.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/8/14 3:15 a.m.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/8/14 6:03 a.m.

Valiant effort my man. Its always some little bug that takes the longest amount of time.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nl2jZmIW2VpTk5yyRSt84M4d3Mh9nT3WxaG1kCdKprXOEaFjMRgdbfd3yeSzRxzo