1 2
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/18/19 12:00 p.m.

So here is my 4th Miata.  The progression thus far has been a 97 I bought 6 years ago for $2400 and spent the next few years autocrossing and modifying into a pretty fair local CSP machine.  But my automotive ADD kicked in during the summer of 17 and I sold it to a friend who wanted a dedicated AX machine.  

My plan had been to buy something more “stock” since the son unit was about to get his permit and wanted to learn how to AX.  Unfortunately he found a broken Monster Miata that I picked up for $2,000 and he helped me get running.  Unfortunately, my attempt to keep that car challenge eligible kept me from upgrading the supporting parts to a degree that the car deserved (and it was a terrible AX machine).  

When the opportunity came along to trade it I jumped at it and got a 99 ecotec swapped NB (plus the $2K i’d paid for the monster).  I never bonded with the NB though and it quickly got sold to a track guy and I bought the NC you see for.......$2,000.   2 grand seems to be the going rate for abandoned Miata projects.

More to come. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
2/18/19 12:07 p.m.

Ill be watching this, I have had the want for a NC for a few years now and haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/18/19 12:30 p.m.

This is completely out of order since I’ve been driving it.  But always check the work of previous owners.  There should be 20 bolts securing the Hard Dog roll bar.......there are 4.

This is my Monday.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
2/18/19 12:36 p.m.

Watching with interest... 

IMHO the NC is really going to come into its own over the next few years as the prices come into "racecar" territory.  It's a great chassis, and there's some good options for relatively cheap power.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/18/19 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Frustratingly the ND is really owning the NC in autocross circles.  CS and STR have really become $$$ classes as the new car beats the pants off the older cars.

Kind of like showing up with a 91 NA6 and facing off with someone in a 99 hard sport in ES.  With the best will and best driving, you still have inferior equipment.

But I’ll be doing what I can.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
2/18/19 12:59 p.m.

Yeah, no question the ND is a great platform.  I was thinking more in general track terms than AutoX, since the classing often creates a clear advantage in some cases.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/18/19 1:00 p.m.
Rodan said:

Watching with interest... 

IMHO the NC is really going to come into its own over the next few years as the prices come into "racecar" territory.  It's a great chassis, and there's some good options for relatively cheap power.

I keep getting told that (and I've been told that for a while), but I don't know.  I'm not seeing the signs. 

tux424
tux424 New Reader
2/18/19 1:13 p.m.

Are you keeping this one? Thought you were planning on selling it off?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/18/19 1:20 p.m.

In reply to tux424 :

There hasn’t been any serious interest.  And I can’t sell it in good conscience with a shoddily installed roll bar so it’s getting some attention.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
2/18/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I like the NC platform, but yeah, no good for street class autocross against the ND.

I just bought a 99 Hard S. I'lI stay in ES.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/18/19 2:58 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

is there a build thread for this car?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/18/19 3:51 p.m.

Funny, for me it was $3500 I have now bought 3 NA's for that much.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/18/19 3:56 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

No, this is my first thread in this page.  I’ll be updating it when I have time to sit down and type more.

Just now I discovered that the front roll bar plates get bolted on into a blind space that you have to cut an access panel into.

Yeah.  And there is a flange inside the hole.  I had to get my 14 year old daughter to reach the plate in there so I could bolt it into place.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/18/19 3:58 p.m.

That looks a bit more secure.

Oh.  I taped the edges of the hole before getting the girl to reach in there.  No cuts here.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/18/19 4:09 p.m.

ah, OK, i read a previous comment re no interest and assumed you were advertising this one for sale somewhere.

i'm due to buy a daily pretty soon, and i'm not going to be able to justify buying what i really want, so i'm going to get something cheap and fun.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/18/19 4:12 p.m.
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/18/19 4:20 p.m.

Thanks!   i have much to ponder while i wait for the company to decide what day/month they're going to pay out our 2018 bonus.

tux424
tux424 New Reader
2/18/19 4:38 p.m.

I've got boxes of parts, especially interior pieces if you need them. You've got my number, and I promise to be more responsive now that the holidays have passed....

I may also be in Cincy is the next couple months if you need any bigger pieces.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/18/19 5:07 p.m.

I’m not sure you needed to cut that access hole. I seem to recall going through the wheel well and I haven’t seen those on our own cars. Too late now, but if anyone else is getting ready to do this please let me know first. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/18/19 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I’m pretty sure i’d have to have cut an access hole in the wheel well.  This seems cleaner.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/18/19 6:19 p.m.

I'll check with Kyle at work tomorrow, he'll know. I've never installed this particular bar.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
2/18/19 6:22 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Ill be watching this, I have had the want for a NC for a few years now and haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

We have a NC2 PRHT since new. If you can, go for the NC2 > NC1. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/18/19 7:54 p.m.

OK I have a minute to regale you with the sordid tale of stupid that is how I roll.  I found this car on CL last summer down in Knoxville.  The ad listed that it had a bad motor, clean title, and included a new motor.  So I made arrangements to drive down with my Mothers diesel dodge and my buddies ex-uhaul trailer.  Got to the house to find that they had already pulled the old motor, the car was up on jack stands, and that they had a lot of unlabeled spare parts.  It’s a 2006 with 83,000 ish miles on it.  The replacement motor is from a 2007 with 70K something miles on it and the receipt showed they had paid a bit over 2 grand for the motor.

Also in the deal:  New Koenig wheels in 17x8.  New Continental 225/45 tires.  Leather seat covers.  Cheesy faux carbon fiber “trim” on the interior.  H&K lowering springs.  A new cloth top.  The wonderfully installed Hard Dog roll bar. And a RB muffler.

All for $2,000.

Loaded everything up (filled the bed of the truck) and dragged it all home.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/20/19 9:14 p.m.

Since returning to CS seems like the cheapest route off with the “Miata shocks with H&K lowering springs” and back with Bilsteins and factory springs.

The roll bar is secured, the plastics are trimmed and installed.  The soft top is reinstalled.  Progress is happening.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/20/19 9:27 p.m.

Yay for progress!

Are those the 2006 Bilsteins? If you can find a 2013-15 set, the valving is much improved. I am ignoring class regs, but they do look the same :) 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vXpBbUGprDjeoByfucn6WuyavLhqkkybJDoBLVZKKbV3pBoDpilRuTSX2p5mawdt