1 2 3
Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
3/23/16 10:42 p.m.

Hello everyone, I'm am new to the forum but I have been really enjoying the diverse projects and information here. I thought I would contribute, and share what I loving refer to as my 'Dirtball' Corvette. It is my dally driver (when I have not broken it), and my weekend warrior. I autocross, and most recently I have started SCCA Rallycross with it.

First a little Background, it is a 1977 L-82 Corvette, original 4-speed car. It has a non-original 355 SBC with, 650CFM carb, aluminum intake, World Products heads, fairly mild cam, and headers/side pipes. Suspension is still mostly stock, but with poly bushings and 17X8 wheels for the street.  photo 20140708_184902.jpg

photo GG14-1.jpg

photo rx6.jpg

Currently, I am repairing damage from and accident I had on my work commute in February. I was doing about 45mph on an snow/ice cover road ad spun backward into a bridge rail. (I said it IS my DD.)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y26m0qkTetU

The crash bent the wheel, the hub, and trailing arm. but I almost have everything back together... just waiting on the last few parts. The good news is I also got the wheels and AT tires for rally:

photo 20160315_180413.jpg

So hopefully I can make the local even on April 3rd -fingers crossed-

I have a lot of plans for the car... I have another frame and 87 corvette suspension to hang under it, along with the the other frame I want to put a roll cage in it. Plus the ultimate plan is a 383 stroker and 6-speed swap. All on a shoe sting budget as well. Hope you guys enjoy.. and we will see where I get!

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/23/16 10:51 p.m.

your my hero, thats such a sweet car! and you rally cross it?? so cool.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
3/24/16 8:46 a.m.

Awesome! I've kicked around the idea of rallycrossing one of these since they take such a tall tire. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/24/16 9:45 a.m.

That guard rail saw you coming and engaged a tractor beam lock on you? Before that it was just nice fluffy snowbanks.

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
3/24/16 12:55 p.m.

I know this probably is not the usual project for around here, but I am not the usual corvette owner either!

I'm really enjoying rallycross. I don't have enough seat time to be any good, but I am learning a lot about throttle control and planning your next turn.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nCsEtBeNauA

TRoglodyte wrote: That guard rail saw you coming and engaged a tractor beam lock on you? Before that it was just nice fluffy snowbanks.

Funny you should say that... after that happened I found out that one of the guys I work with was almost killed when his buddies TransAm hit the very same bridge, many years ago.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
3/24/16 12:59 p.m.

Gee, now I want to rallycross a Corvette. Looks like fun!

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
3/24/16 8:49 p.m.

Those new wheels and the white letter tires look perfect on there.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
3/24/16 9:55 p.m.

Awesome! Bonus points awarded for the luggage rack.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
3/24/16 10:29 p.m.

Looks like so much fun.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/24/16 11:53 p.m.

That Vette seemed right at home in the dirt!

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
3/25/16 10:11 a.m.

Hmmm, I think you'll fit in just fine with this crowd! Love your vette! And love that you have fun with it!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/25/16 10:23 a.m.

That is quite possibly the most GRM photo ever.

Jambo
Jambo New Reader
3/25/16 3:43 p.m.

Do you guys run a Corvette class in rallycross or something? That was another one taking off right in front of you, wasn't it?

And I love to see these older vettes get some action. They always seem to be abused or relegated to Sunday cruising.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
3/26/16 1:12 a.m.

Very cool.

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
3/27/16 6:31 p.m.

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply. Wife and I took a road trip to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. Sadly we didn't take the vette, mostly because it is still in pieces, but also her A4 gets better gas mileage accelerating up hill, than the vette does just cruising

The good news is I got the rear spindle/bearing assembly setup to .0015" endplay and the new parts showed up

photo 20160327_155756.jpg

photo 20160319_162955.jpg

Jambo wrote: Do you guys run a Corvette class in rallycross or something? That was another one taking off right in front of you, wasn't it? And I love to see these older vettes get some action. They always seem to be abused or relegated to Sunday cruising.

Ha! You are right, that is another corvette. We both run in Modified Rear wheel drive class. The yellow one is rougher than mine, no dash and they had to use a ratchet strap to hold the t-tops on! but they have much more experience and kicked my butt!

Woody wrote: That is quite possibly the most GRM photo ever.

Thanks! I really like this one too... hence the avatar  photo IMG_0789.jpg

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
4/8/16 3:52 p.m.

I see this and Weylon Jennings starts running thru my head. Just some good Ole boys, never meanin no harm...

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
4/8/16 4:36 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote:
I see this and Weylon Jennings starts running thru my head. Just some good Ole boys, never meanin no harm...

photo RC4316-12.jpg

This one is from last sunday, and it makes me think the very same thing.... just have to keep an eye out for Rosco!

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
4/8/16 5:23 p.m.

You're a better man than me. I didn't hear a single cuss word before, during, or after the crash. Your C3 is my new favorite GRM car.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
4/8/16 6:58 p.m.

Oh man a rallycross C3. Now I just need to figure out where Mark Hamill parks...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/8/16 8:31 p.m.

So, lemmee see...

These cars are front engine / rear wheel drive, fiberglass bodied and already come with a V8? It's a good thing that they aren't dirt cheap and have massive aftermarket support or the GRM crowd would be eating them up...

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
4/9/16 10:40 a.m.

Back when IMSA did it, Corvettes demolished a lot of other fancier sports cars on dirt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7sdOtWh3lw

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
4/9/16 2:57 p.m.

What side pipes are those? True 4 into 1?

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
4/9/16 4:59 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

I have heard that about the lack of language from several people. If you watch the video close in the lower left corner you can see the reflections of my hands frantically trying to get her straight again. So my focus was mostly on the task at hand. What is really funny is the video got picked up off YouTube by a national video clip review TV show. They have four 'hosts' that show and review viral videos and alike. They were going on about "can you imagine what this driver was thinking... Bridge rail do your job!" And actually I was thinking "how much am I going to have to fix after this?!?"

I really wish I had the mind set to take the camera out of the car to inspect the damage. Because I was like: "Hell, the fenders are still on it!! WE ARE GOOD!!"

In reply to vwcorvette:

Yes they are true 4 into 1 headers and pipes. They are Stainless Steel Chinese knockoffs of Hookers headers pipes, and I am running hookers Max flow 'muffler' inserts. They are loud and I love them! The one down side is that I dont think the S.S. was passifide correctly... you can tell where the forming machines left carbon steel imbeded in the surface. The pipes ARE stainless but the imbeded steel rusts, it can be polished out to look nice but is still there. Thats you get for budget parts

Woody wrote: So, lemmee see... These cars are front engine / rear wheel drive, fiberglass bodied and already come with a V8? It's a good thing that they aren't dirt cheap and have massive aftermarket support or the GRM crowd would be eating them up...

Don't forget the drones of 'corvette enthusiasts' that you get to send into cardiac arrest, if you even suggest changing out a correct date coded bolt!

...but I thought the answer was -always- Miata?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
4/9/16 5:07 p.m.
Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
4/9/16 5:22 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

Thanks for the link!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
esXmH1ZKG4s9QjHCZLJrMvFsrYs6qM2yKvKLQxC2rLqcZIewp3Hh2ZHbS39EfvCl