1 2 3 4
Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/7/19 6:07 p.m.

Polishing up the rods with olive oil will probably appease the Italian car gods and prevent them from getting angry at seeing a non-Italian engine in there. wink

Glad to see clearance is working out ok - the down pipe should be a small hurdle to overcome and your plan to get the exhaust shop to make the pipe sounds like it could work out well.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/8/19 3:35 p.m.

Mezzanine, the same engine was stuffed into the Alfa Romeo 159 sedan.. 2 reasons for the olive oil,1 st, yes to appease the Alfa gods, 2 it smells a lot better than oil to keep the temps down,during the hours of work..

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/19/19 7:43 p.m.

Was not too sure I'm be engine braces, especially  at the front were it meets with the car, so I added a plate of steel in each one  3 mm thick x 200 mm long.welded it into the brace. Weld in this Sunday 

the wood that you see will be for leveling the braces.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/19/19 7:48 p.m.

My tranny mount i from energy suspension  Polly mounts, I plan to use the same mounts for the engine also.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
2/19/19 11:47 p.m.

What kind of power you looking at with the motor? Had me scratching my head until I read it was a eco-tec. Need to get a few things done on my wife's 78 spider. Nice thing is Wes Ingram is just a hour and a half drive north from me.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/20/19 12:48 a.m.

Within a few hp of 220. We're are you located? I also built the insides for a turbo, if I need more power, but I think 220 will be enough.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/20/19 7:30 p.m.

Engine is to tall for hood to clear, so I need to build a hood blister. The hood and boot will be fiberglass.plan to use some gold/silver foil to reflect the heat from the  header.if header is still to close, then vent heat out with stainless steel mesh vent.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
2/20/19 7:59 p.m.

220 hp ought to be a blast in that car! Are you going to wrap the header?

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/20/19 8:37 p.m.

Try not to wrap the headers, stainless steel. Plus they look cool.after heat cycles. Blues,violets. This photo  is from a diff. Site.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/21/19 1:16 a.m.
brad131a4 said:

What kind of power you looking at with the motor? Had me scratching my head until I read it was a eco-tec. Need to get a few things done on my wife's 78 spider. Nice thing is Wes Ingram is just a hour and a half drive north from me.

Brad. I lived I'm oak harbour,and antacortas  , in 1968 thru 1970, my father,a Marine was stationed there, I was 10 years old when I left there

Still remember  the place. Cranberry lake,etc.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/21/19 2:04 p.m.

logoing for Ferrari taillights idea. I am using 4 round led lamps. At night just running down the road,you would see 4 led rings, hit brakes, the inner led s light up. Why am I doing this, cause oem taillight panel is $$$$$. A young lady texting took my oem lamps out,and damaged the sail panel. I plan to oem look the surround, with mirror plastic for the base,and red clear plastic filed to that, with holes to let lamps flush fit.as for size of the 4 round tailamps, I brought some 328 lamps home from work. But they were to big for the car. So I took them back to work. And this. Measured the width of the 328 and the diameter of the 328 rear lamps, did some math,and found a ratio I could use. I looked online for some lights that would match this ratio for my car. I found the above led lamps. Then had a sheet metal shop , lazer cut the sheet metal to fit.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/26/19 9:15 p.m.

I live in a condo, so must make do with ,what I can do.no garage. So gluing foam into hood for hood blister. I covered the  pink foam with aluminum tape. Then filed that side to hood. Let dry overnight. Hope it holds, so I can sand the foam into shape. The glue I am useing is,.l.locktite proline premium  construction adhesive. If this does not hold, any susuggestions ?

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/26/19 11:49 p.m.

Did not work. Try to use  double  side tape.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/27/19 7:23 p.m.

Ok, tape system worked, just  had to cut pink foam into 2 inch wide strips.. started shaping, once done  with this shaping. Will cover with bondo, finel shape, then cover with wax.. cover with fiberglass to make finel mold for hood...

....i....i hope

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/27/19 10:30 p.m.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
2/28/19 9:59 a.m.

What kind of foam did you use? I need to form a fender flare shape to mold some flares for my Challenge car. The rear panel should look pretty good with the round lights.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/28/19 10:19 a.m.

Pink foam from home dept. 24x 24x1 inch.

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
2/28/19 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Alfaromeoguy :

Be sure to test a scrap of your foam with the fiberglass resin you plan to use for your mold. It sucks to melt something that you have worked hard on. Looking forward to seeing the mold and part! 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/28/19 9:12 p.m.

Thanks, golucky, I plan to cover foam and bondo ,and hood with aluminum  tape, as a barrier. Then lots of wax to release it

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/28/19 9:50 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

What kind of foam did you use? I need to form a fender flare shape to mold some flares for my Challenge car. The rear panel should look pretty good with the round lights.

L.p.....dead skunk,odd name... after getting pink  foam into shape. Cover with bondo to finish shape, then cover with aluminum  tape, the area. Then wax. Car wax will work

Glass with chopped matt abut 3 layers, let set up. Then pop off the mold, and wax the mold really well ( things on line to help here ) lay 1 chopped Matt for strength,then what ever you want for surface...edit..last sentence reverse order

Sorry

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/1/19 3:48 p.m.

Adding a few more foam strips tonight at the top, so I can get as smoother contour to the oem hood. Also found it's better to add double stick tape to the foam first, then attach to the bodyshell 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/3/19 1:31 a.m.

Added a few more pink foam strips. So I can get a better  shape for th e blister

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/4/19 6:26 p.m.

Adding bondo layers for smoothing out foam to bodyshell  transitions 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/4/19 8:31 p.m.

New coat of bondo

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/4/19 8:36 p.m.

The foam and bondo , at border sanding has crack lines, so cover with aluminum  tape. Plan to cover all the foam with aluminum tape, then add a coat of bondo over the tape, then shape. The will be mold for the fiberglass hood, so the smoother I can get it, the better.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XwTdJqJ9rKA7yPx8y0Valwd26nK7Yf7byzWfLd53SoRszL6lY3M3rO967zptkm0N